Well there's your problem.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Well there's your problem.

Post by Gobblerforge »

Just winter wandering. I'm just now getting too a motor from an Ironhead Harley I bought from a fellow Ohio'n about a year and a half ago. This is the time of year for those winter projects, you know. It came with the understanding, "There's something really wrong in there." I finally got the crank out and the first flywheel off and found this. My bud and I both had a laugh. I already have parts coming and I hope to be building a crank in a week or so. I plan on riding this to the Leesville Bike Blessing early summer. Double thumbs up.
Gobbler

Click Click Boom
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Well there's your problem.

Post by jeepnik »

As my dad would say when he came across things like this "Yep, it's broke". No need for more explanation.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

WOW - That's a rare wobble-crank motor ! . :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Don't tell Harley...they will send you a bill for a custom part.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Uber collapse.
Check the oil ways!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Aw shoot, I bet you can re-use those bearing cages. :D

The comment about checking oil passages is a good one. Its possible that happened from an oil pump key shearing, and either starving the motor for oil, and/or a piece of metal from the key or oil pump moving around and clogging an oil passage. The original offending piece could have come from elsewhere also, and seized the oil pump or blocked a passage.

The idiot light for oil pressure is a good idea, or a gauge that you can see easily.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ah, just spray it good with some WD-40, then put a bunch of white lithium grease in it, and it'll be fine... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Roger on the passages. I'll be detailing every part that goes back on, getting all the little sparkly pieces out. It tore up the lifter blocks and lifters and one cam bearing. What started losing pieces first is anybody's guess. The oil pump is in surprisingly in good shape as well as the cams and bushings and no sheared keys. The oil filter was doing it's job. So far it seams that what died, died hard, but a lot is good.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:Ah, just spray it good with some WD-40, then put a bunch of white lithium grease in it, and it'll be fine... :lol:
Ok, now you are scaring me. I'd hate to hear what you tell patients :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Ah, just spray it good with some WD-40, then put a bunch of white lithium grease in it, and it'll be fine... :lol:
Like I tell my wife... "... whatever's wrong ain't gonna heal itself... "
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

jeepnik wrote:
If you ever prescribe suppositories, please make sure your patient knows where to put them! :shock:

Mark :o
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

markinalpine wrote:
jeepnik wrote:
If you ever prescribe suppositories, please make sure your patient knows where to put them! :shock:

That's what I call those cartridge guns my fellow cowboy shooters use... 'suppository' shooters... I tell 'em "...real men prefer loading in the front!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote:
markinalpine wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

That's what I call those cartridge guns my fellow cowboy shooters use... 'suppository' shooters... I tell 'em "...real men prefer loading in the front!"

And THAT, my friends, is called, "Thread drift." :lol: :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man....I'm glad I don't play with the old bikes......for real....they infatuate me....anything old does.............and I might have a small drop of wisdom for ya Gobbler.......not that you need any from a gun crank...........back in the old days, we would take up those tolerances with STP and 90 weight gear oil..... :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Man....I'm glad I don't play with the old bikes......for real....they infatuate me....anything old does.............and I might have a small drop of wisdom for ya Gobbler.......not that you need any from a gun crank...........back in the old days, we would take up those tolerances with STP and 90 weight gear oil..... :D ----6
So...that's why the Italian tanks never fired a shot?? :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yeah, but they used olive oil.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sixgun wrote:Man....I'm glad I don't play with the old bikes......for real....they infatuate me....anything old does.............and I might have a small drop of wisdom for ya Gobbler.......not that you need any from a gun crank...........back in the old days, we would take up those tolerances with STP and 90 weight gear oil..... :D ----6
So much for the "Lube, lube, lube" theory...

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am sort of surprised that motor didn't break even the block. With all those little chunks of metal in there, it looks as if someone was trying to find out how long it took for complete destruction to occur.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Good luck with this project! And how about a picture of the whole bike? What year made, etc.? :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I didn't think of the whole bike picture. I'll try to remember today. It's a 1966 XLCH and at this point it is my oldest bike.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

This is why I am one of only a handful of people to have ever FAILED the Mechanical section of the ASVAB ("You can be anything i the military that you want...EXCEPT a mechanic...")

What am I looking at? :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Here we go. I haven't decided on which black but I'm leaning toward satin like the front fender, not flat like the tank and back fender. Hey, anyone have a spare gas tank cap for one of these? I don't have one.
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Red, to match the rims...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pretty sure I have an old rusty cap that will have to be painted. I'll look.

What I have for sure is a complete flywheel/rod assembly that looks and feels good if that interests you.

My 76 ironhead is in the process of being brought back to life as soon as I get a couple of wood splitters completed.

MM
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Its a Sportster motor, is your crank assy for a big twin or Sportster? If the motor is apart, the crank should be torn down and rebuilt or carefully checked anyway. The hardest part is already done.

It should be fine to rebuild. They are hard to completely wear out. We'd even bore out and re-sleeve the cylinders when they got to the last oversize pistons available if they were cylinders that werent available any longer. The heads can go a LONG time. I think the only thing not rebuildable in the heads is valve seats. I've fixed several broken/stripped head bolts. The bearing races in the cases are replaceable if you get past the last oversize bearings. Cam bearings are caged and easily replaced. Lifter rollers can be replaced. Rocker arm bushings can be replaced.

If the cases are damaged, such as the flywheel scraper area, they can be built back up by a good heli-arc welder. If not completely shattered, the cases can be welded and fixed/

The square/sideways bearings may or may not have migrated around, but when stripped down to rebuild, shouldnt be a problem to get cleaned out. Flywheels are easily replacable if needed, as is the complete rods and crank pin assembly. It was cheaper to buy completely new S&S rods/crank pin assy than rebuild the old ones most of the time.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Well Mister Wright, I wish I'd have known that earlier. And to reply to Malamute, I already have a new crank pin with connecting rods and bearings coming. Also one of the cylinders was gouged from the wrist pin coming out. I thing the spiral lock ring came out and was the first problem but I'm not sure. Anyways since the cylinders were already 30 over and worn, and finding a used cylinder in the same wear level, I decided to buy two new cylinders with pistons and rings matched. It should make for a happy stock motor. The flywheels are in great shape and will get new thrust washers. Cool thing is the left and right shafts and bearings are within specs. I seams the debris never got to the outside of the wheels. I lost one cam bearing so all of them will get replaced. This is my first Ironhead and I'm impressed at how simple the design is. When I started getting into Harleys a few years back I was overwhelmed and scared I'd be messing up or ruining thing as I didn't know what I was doing. A bud with a lifetime of experience put we at ease with the notion that if you can work on a Briggs and Stratton, you can work on a Harley. He was right. :D
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jeepnik wrote:As my dad would say when he came across things like this "Yep, it's broke". No need for more explanation.
Same here.
It is not the critic who counts
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:Its a Sportster motor, is your crank assy for a big twin or Sportster? If the motor is apart, the crank should be torn down and rebuilt or carefully checked anyway. The hardest part is already done.

It should be fine to rebuild. They are hard to completely wear out. We'd even bore out and re-sleeve the cylinders when they got to the last oversize pistons available if they were cylinders that werent available any longer. The heads can go a LONG time. I think the only thing not rebuildable in the heads is valve seats. I've fixed several broken/stripped head bolts. The bearing races in the cases are replaceable if you get past the last oversize bearings. Cam bearings are caged and easily replaced. Lifter rollers can be replaced. Rocker arm bushings can be replaced.

If the cases are damaged, such as the flywheel scraper area, they can be built back up by a good heli-arc welder. If not completely shattered, the cases can be welded and fixed/

The square/sideways bearings may or may not have migrated around, but when stripped down to rebuild, shouldnt be a problem to get cleaned out. Flywheels are easily replacable if needed, as is the complete rods and crank pin assembly. It was cheaper to buy completely new S&S rods/crank pin assy than rebuild the old ones most of the time.

Well, as long as they are gonna fall apart, might as well make it easy to fix em. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I wanted to bring up to date last winter's project.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gobblerforge wrote:I wanted to bring up to date last winter's project.
Gobbler
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

SWEET!!!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
That is a beauty ! You have a real jewel sitting there. I really thought those square bearings would catch on though.
My dad was a happy camper to bring home a "bushel basket" bike as he called it.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.