What kind of hobbies do you guys have?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What kind of hobbies do you guys have?

Post by Grizz »

Ben_Rumson wrote:She's wasting away in storage...
when I lived in the bay area I build a 45 from parts, literally chased down springer front end, engine, frame, etc., from different sources and built a running Harley that I rode for some years. rode it on the sunday morning ride from the sausalito heliport to pt reyes and tomales. anyone remember that tradition?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Well she had humble beginnings...
JIM'S WL 002.jpg
It's a 47 flathead 45 ci... First bike I learned to ride on too...Spent about 10 years collecting the parts & pieces...Grizz ..Lot of "fun" finding all the right original parts...My little around town put put..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote:
when I lived in the bay area I build a 45 from parts, literally chased down springer front end, engine, frame, etc., from different sources and built a running Harley that I rode for some years. rode it on the sunday morning ride from the sausalito heliport to pt reyes and tomales. anyone remember that tradition?
That would be a really nice ride, I used to go to Muir woods and Stinson beach a lot when I lived in Napa.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Eating...seems to be my biggest hobby. Sure ain't just for sustenance...that passed a good forty or so pounds ago.

The other thing that has been occupying what little spare time I have, is trying to make silicon carbide wafers handle enough current, without incurring losses; that migrate thermal patterns, which might cause a negative affect on efficiencies of ancillary devices.

Also...trying to figure out the proper logarithm to consistently win the lottery. Once I get that, will give up on the previous hobby and go on a ten year or so hunting trip.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I probably have too many but am single and devote time to them.
I have two Harleys I ride some and a observed trials bike.
I fish year around
Traditional Archery
Gardening so I can use some of the antique small farm equipment that collect
I use to restore a few vehicles but not anymore
Antique clocks and old outboard motors
Fruit trees
I do welding and machine work for a living so that is a job.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WOW Great response guys....Lots of good ideas...

Ya think I would be into cars and bikes,.... and I am....after all I live near Daytona...home of the 2 biggest car shows
and 2 biggest bike weeks in the nation....looking for 67 stang......convertible.....

Shasta...Nice Nomad

Ben....in storage.....WHAT?....get that thing out and get in the wind!

Love to fish...and I am going to make another effort to get into fly rod building....My neighbor does it...
need a boat though...

Perry...That rose is awesome...

Rusty ...that photography idea intrigues me.....at least when hunting and fishing....go pro?
Turkey season is right around the corner.... :D

It seems all I ever do is .....work....7 days a week these days.......and ******* yard work....

keep the ideas coming......
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sore shoulder wrote:
Grizz wrote:
That would be a really nice ride, I used to go to Muir woods and Stinson beach a lot when I lived in Napa.
The timeframe was the first gen crotch rockets. Remember the yamahaha 250 with a one-tooth smaller drive sprocket? You could literally run the bike out from under yourself if you didn't hold on.

Anyway, between 50 and 100 bikes would gather in Sausa and race up hwy 1 to breakfast in pt reyes sta. I was always after that batch, I mean it's a Harley 45, right?

Funniest thing was the rockets had no torque. I could hold 'em off going uphill in the twisties, they couldn't get past me until the next straightaway. I could hear them snortin' and shifting shifting shifting. I just left him in second and throttled up and down to get thru the turns.

'Course, it took me both lanes and any shoulder that might support the machine.

I laughed and laughed and laughed all the way up the highway.

@Ben

I bet we couldn't find milk crates full of parts the way we used to. And I bet I couldn't afford them if I found them!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I bet we couldn't find milk crates full of parts the way we used to. And I bet I couldn't afford them if I found them!
So true... The chopper craze messed up a lot of neat old survivors but gave us milk crates full of goodies!!..That breakfast run would have been a fun ride... I especially like the part when the 250s were reminded about good old fashioned low tech torque :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz were those the 2 strokes? I remember a friend having one of those and it would eat my first Kawi 1000 light to light, but getting on the freeway I was blowing past him halfway down the on ramp and he was wound out pretty hard just getting to the then 55mph speed limit, and dropping the small gear a tooth took care of the light to light thing and I only lost a few mph on top in the speeding ticket territory. I've never cared for the HD's, my cousins were bikers of ill repute, the real deal, and I was around and on the back of them quite a bit as a young teenager when I lived with them and saw how many problems they had first hand, including the always present oil spots. I got no shortage of hassle for buying that Kawi 1000 as my first bike, but guess which bike got borrowed to go get parts etc for the HD's? And then after riding it a few times and wringing it out, it had the grudging respect for being "pretty fast for a rice burner" and never needing anything but gas. :lol: Interestingly they always had an excuse not to race . :lol: I still have my 1988 Yamaha Genesis FZR1000 (can't seem to post an image) that does well over 160 at high altitude even with the gearing dropped and it doesn't seem to know the difference between a 10,000 foot pass with steep grades and a flat road, even with a passenger. In its day it was pretty far ahead of the competition.

I will say that the very early HD's like the one Ben posted I find to be very cool old machines.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is just beautiful!

I've rode all my life. Had dirt bikes for years until my late twenty's. Not a day goes by I don't miss them. Had a trials bike too I used quite a bit for fun.
I've got a Harley FX Softail now my wife and I love to ride.

Of course, there's the whole Jeep thing.........

Hunting, fishing, the camp, etc,etc........

Still and all, my guns have been my biggest hobby. With the loading, casting, and everything else that goes with it.

I don't know how the heck I've had time to work..........? :lol:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Tried to post this earlier. Leaving the gate for some fun last summer. Hard to believe that bike is 27 years old and is still a land rocket by any definition.

11B30
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice FZR sore shoulder.

Back in the day, I had an 82 Katana. My cousin that I rode with sold his 82 GS650L and bought a brand new 86 FZ750.

That was the first year of the FZ with the Genesis motor. That thing was an absolute rocket! It would take anything and revved out like a two stroke. I was VERY impressed.........so were the police. :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

OldWin, thanks. :D

The Yamaha Genesis motors truly were. And the exhaust was perfectly tuned to the engine, at least in the FZR1000 I have. The worst thing you could do to them was put in an aftermarket exhaust and change the jetting, always resulted in loss of power. The only ones to improve on it was Yamaha when they came out a few years later with the EXUP that had a solenoid operated valve in the exhaust that improved low and mid range performance by a lot. The newer F1's are faster, but not near as roomy, nor as good looking imo. I'm tall and the newer bikes fold me up like a lawn chair. Besides, I don't know how much faster than 150 I care to go these days. Last October I got popped doing 93 (which as you know isn't going fast at all) on a deserted two lane up here and the deputy acted like I tried to kill someone. Cops take all the fun out of things.

There was literally nothing on the road that would touch that bike, except a Lambo etc., when it was new. And most of those chickened out long before I ran out of throttle. :wink:
11B30
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, good stuff.

I know bikes today are faster but there was something about it back then. Maybe cause I was younger, but it seemed the gain in performance of those bikes was huge for the time. The gains now I think are in smaller increments.

I too liked the more roomier bikes over todays "fold em ups". I wouldn't last an hour.

I just don't have the stomach for our old "runnin' the cops antics" of the "good old days" either.

That stupid Harley is the only bike I ever had that I can go 5mph UNDER the speed limit and still have fun. :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Yes the late 80's saw bikes go from 130-140 mph top ends to chasing 180 with incredible acceleration doing it, that was and still is HUGE. And it's still really the edge of the envelope barring a Hayabusa etc.. They get there faster, but not much.
11B30
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Aside from shooting, restoring old guns (and THEN shooting), fishing, and kayaking (and THEN fishing), I work as a wildlife habitat restoration volunteer for a couple of local nature reserves.

Most of the work is like landscaping, but out in the boonies. Removing invasives (non-native plants that the local wildlife can't eat--common name WEEDS) and planting native plants and trees. Good exercise and you get to see some country that most people can't access.

Since I was raised on a ranch and like gardening and orchard work, it's a natural for me. Sometimes they try to get me to supervise other volunteers, but I won't do that--I used to get PAID for stuff like that, and didn't like it then!