DNA lineages in the Cherokee

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

DNA lineages in the Cherokee

Post by M. M. Wright »

M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: DNA lineages in the Cherokee

Post by Rusty »

I finally put up the money for a DNA test through a well know company. They charge right at $100 and they say they can tell you what part of the world you might be from. They also claim that if they find someone in their data base that is a close match to you they will put you in touch with them. I was adopted out of a children's home as an infant so I have no idea about where I might be from. I thought this might be my best chance.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Based on family stories and the birth certificate I have of a great grandmother, I need to do this.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am unschooled and not very technical. Still I am not convinced that testing is`nt similar to reading tea leaves or paying a fortune teller. Were I also adopted I think I would try it though. Somehow I am reminded of Elizabeth Warren that claimed to be part Indian to get false grants etc. Someone called her on it and she feebly offered that she had "high cheekbones" and aunt bessie or whatever heard a rumor of great grandma elsie or whatever thought they heard when they were a kid they might be part Indian.
Years ago I had a close buddy that liked to claim he was a great deal indian. I always loved my buddy but knew he was a great, shall I say, BS`er. Once his brother and wife drove from Louisiana for a visit.
We all were sitting in a restaurant and somehow Indians came up in the conversation. My buddy`s wife believed every word (or lie) he said and blurted out to her sister in law, "Jake" is part Indian. "Wanda", Jakes brothers wife, got a confused look, scratched her head, and said, Hey Kenney, if Jake is part Indian, how come you aint part Indian? I though I was gonna explode!
All my life I have seen people claim they are part Indian. When I grow up I want to be a Indian!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Booger Bill,

not tea leaves at all. DNA is the operating system written by our creator. It is yielding fabulous insight into how amazing the creation is. and enabling people to find out some very specific things about ancestorage.

my brother is discovering very interesting family history through dna that is not available any other way. including a surprise about where our clan was hiding out for quite a long time. we've lost documents in our lineage, perhaps revolution war related or civil war related or both. state houses were favorite places to burn down by all sides. we're still looking for closer relations that we have no other way of finding.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Actually I got very deep in genealogy research of my family years ago. Think that is when I first got into using the computer. I live in Utah but am not Mormon. The Mormons are the biggest source on genealogy research. (You might find out something you didn't want to.) It`s really a lot of fun and takes a lot of basic detective work. I sure wish I had asked a lot more questions to my grand parents and old great uncles etc. As it was, I still was more interested in it than most other kids at the time. Seems nowadays most kids could care less and when they get older that's when they get the interest but usually by then all old family has died off. On moms side I have checked one branch all the way back to the Mayflower. On Dad`s side I found where several of ancestors was guards to the Czar. (They were Swabans a very tall tribe of Germans and probley chosen for just their size.) Dad`s side were German homesteaders in the now Ukraine. Katherine the Great was a German married to the Czar of Russia and suggested to him to open up Volhynia (Ukraine now) to German farmers to settle it as they knew more about farming. It`s all interesting. My grandparents and a few aunts and uncles were born there. My dad was the first child in the family to be born in America. All told dad had 15 brothers and sisters, 6 were half brothers and sisters and dad was the oldest of 10. It gets complicated. Sorry for the bum jokes earlier but sometimes I cant help myself.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I may have to do that.... My father (well, worthless sperm donor :evil: ) and his family are not known to me except for a few flash memories from when I was 4 or less....he ran out on us. My Mother's parents were very standoffish, and told Mom and Aunt to stay away from Those Others...Bad Blood? I started asking my Mom about stuff about 10 years too late for her memory to be very good (consistent)... I have a ton of old pics going back before the 1900s, but nobody is 100% who they are. When I've been stationed in Korea, Koreans would think I was part Korean....In Panama, part hispanic....Heck, I don't know....Maybe great, great Gramma had a lover :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
Booger Bill wrote:Years ago there was a far right wing lecturer. He was black, had been adopted and was blind. He was brought up a strong republican etc. No one told him he was black, he married a white girl and got a eye operation and regained his site! When he saw his wife for the first time after they took off the bandages, he beat her half to death for marrying a black!

Booger Bill,
I'm buying you a case of your choice of imported beer for that.......great!
Woody wrote:....Heck, I don't know....Maybe great, great Gramma had a lover :lol:
Woody, I checked on "Ancestry.Com" to look that up for you and yes, you are right....the guy's name was "Kunta Kinte". :D
Woody is lucky....better an African than a Italian... 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ok blaine.....you win....that was good one. I've often been told there's not a whole lot of difference as Sicily and the lower Italian peninsula was invaded hundreds of times over the centuries by the Moors and other northern Africans.

But that still don't change who you and I are........undefeatable Internet bullies! :D -----6

Come on Blaine....which one are you? :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:Ok blaine.....you win....that was good one. I've often been told there's not a whole lot of difference as Sicily and the lower Italian peninsula was invaded hundreds of times over the centuries by the Moors and other northern Africans.

But that still don't change who you and I are........undefeatable Internet bullies! :D -----6

Come on Blaine....which one are you? :D
:lol: :lol: 8) It's good you're knowledgeable about firearms.... BTW, did you really say "bully"? You still must be watching Oprah, and Dr. Phil... :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This one is NOT a joke, really happened. I had a close friend I knew when we both were in our single days. He was Jewish but didnt know it! I knew he was Jewish from the start as I was raised around some etc. Even his last name was as Jewish as you can get. I never could figure him out as he was prejudiced against them. His father was in the hospital and thought he was dieing. When dave visited him his dad unloaded on him. He said dave, I dont know why you always have been prejudiced against Jews, so I never said anything but you better know now that your grandfather was 100% Jewish!
Dave showed up at my house drunk and crying and told me the story. I wasn't surprised in the least but I had a lot of fun with him on that one. I cant say what I told him here but I still crack up when I think of it.
He was a spoiled rich city boy as his dad was the top dog at a huge government agency you all have heard of. When I first met him he had just got out of Vietnam as a intelligence officer debriefing pilots etc.
Still, he didn't know anything about the woods, camping etc. We went camping (and drinking) in the high sierra`s. It was a cold windy night and of course you could hear the trees rubbing together etc.
We were sitting around the fire and his eyes got big and he say`s, what`s that? I said aw hell, just a bear checking us out and that other noise was a cougar trying to scare the bear off. We are okay. Dave thought that one over and said, "I`m a chicken ----, let`s go!" I talked him out of it and took him out shooting etc and finally he bought some guns, a motor home and towed a jeep the last time I seen him years ago.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For anyone interested tryancestry.com is offering a free trial for the next few days. I heard the add on the radio last night.

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Nationality is not hereditary. Neither is religion.

Ad for me I know all I need to know. I asked my dad where we came from and his answer was "lightning struck a tree and there I was."

We are what we are. The moving finger writes and moves on, nor shall all our piety or wit lure it back to cancel oot a line of it. Or as Satchel Page said, "Don't look back something might be gaining on you."
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I have a background very similar to Rusty. After much deliberation, I decided not to seek out my white family and I'd prefer they don't find me.

At 65, racial comment doesn't bother me like it used to. As far as Liz Warren is concerned, I have several Amerindian kinsmen, reservation raised, that look more Caucasian than she. Y'all have your fella in the White house -- I give her $ because we need an Indian point of view in 1600 Pennsylvania next.

Rusty, good luck!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2571 wrote:I have a background very similar to Rusty. After much deliberation, I decided not to seek out my white family and I'd prefer they don't find me.

At 65, racial comment doesn't bother me like it used to. As far as Liz Warren is concerned, I have several Amerindian kinsmen, reservation raised, that look more Caucasian than she. Y'all have your fella in the White house -- I give her $ because we need an Indian point of view in 1600 Pennsylvania next.

Rusty, good luck!
Wouldn't you prefer to say we need a Constitutional point of view in the White House? It's been years... :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As a tracing one's family history can be fun. While I'm not the one doing it, that job is done by my older sis, I am from time to time task with finding things like graves and such.

There have been a few surprises and they make life a bit more interesting. The results aren't going to make any major impact on my life, but as I said, it can be fun and interesting.

Among the things we did find out is why my Grandmother's family basically disowned her. To put it mildly, she was a fun loving soul, and her parents religion didn't think anyone should have that much fun.

We did the DNA thing thru a couple of outfits and the one 23 and me provided more info than Ancestry. Did find a few relatives that way, hence the info on my grandmother.

Some will also tell you if you have a gene that can cause disease. Gave the info to my doc and he basically said more folks should do this early in life. It doesn't cure anything, but it does give one a heads up.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Among the things we did find out is why my Grandmother's family basically disowned her. To put it mildly, she was a fun loving soul, and her parents religion didn't think anyone should have that much fun.
I mentioned that Mom's father kept them away from them "other" Heskett people....I remember some talk about a horse thief that got hung right after the Civil War.... :lol: That would explain it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I did my family tree as far back as I could using Ancestry and the LDS sites... some searching thru county records here in the States... Both my Mom's paternal great grandparents were from Scotland, or so said my grandfather's death & birth certificates. So I wrote to a researcher in Scotland. Found out that my Great-grandfather was illegitimate. Can't find anything beyond his grandparents.

Stories abounded in the oral family history that my grandfather's Mom was descended from Capt. James Cook... nipped that one in the bud, as he had no children that survived to adulthood.

Interesting stuff, no doubt. After my Dad passed away, I searched for my real father, found he'd died of congestive heart failure at 76... but Mom's still tickin' along at 90... So my plan to be shot at 140 by a jealous husband is still in play!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Boy`s, I am a AH to a important part of my family. (A daughter). Through circumstances and being fairly old, I can now understand some bad relationships many relate about THEIR birth fathers and mothers. I have come to the conclusion that most, if not ALL stem from one or both party's not knowing all the facts and not talking them out. Many times and even recently on this site, people label their father that skipped or whatever as being 100 % wrong and the source problem to a no or a bad relationship. I have lived it myself.
I believe my parents were the best in the world. Once I heard my sister describing her childhood to her husband. I couldnt believe we were raised at the same time by the same parents!
Stuff happens and there are divorce`s. Usually the father is now either working two jobs or wall to wall overtime to pay court ordered supports. That doesn't give much time for visitation and being a father. Add to that mother giving her one sided story`s 100% of the time and the deck is highly stacked against seldom seen dad. Divorce`s always affect the kids. Never, ever, in a good way.
I have lived a unconventional life. I never married the first time until I was 40 years old. Obviously I had numerous affairs and living arrangements before that. I didn't get married to some fine women as I didn't want to raise their kids. Of course I should have been aware of that possibility before I had my first date with their mothers. My ex wife was a dozen years younger than me. She ran off with my daughter with another married man who left his dieing wife. I got to support them. To do it I had to work every drop of overtime, that thank God was most always available, about a average of 65 hours a week. I would go from about usually two to six months without a day off. Did that for next fifteen years. Hard to see your kid and being a daddy with those hours. Especially when it`s all graveyard.
I have friends approaching even my age that still hate their fathers and here the same tune of how their no good dad never left them a dime. I am willing to bet they weren't contacting or visiting dear old dad or ever sending him a birthday or Christmas card. Most times, dad remarry`s and his kids hate the new wife without hardly ever visiting them. Now dear old dad has the responsibility of seeing his new wife is taken care of after his probable first demise. Now said daughters or sons hate him and think he has cut them off because he hates them. That`s life.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

All I see is a commercial - am I missing something? :?:
Merle from PA
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I found out 2 things about my adopted family, one I was proud of. One of my Great, great uncles fought in the Civil War. He was in what was known as the Baltimore Battery. Before I started searching I didn't even know there were Maryland Confederate troops.

http://www.antietam.stonesentinels.com/ ... MDbalt.php

There were only 2 members of the battery to live through the end of the war. My uncle wasn't one of them.

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Followed a portion of my family back to 1502 on this site: https://familysearch.org

Kind of scared about doing the DNA stuff...hate to find out I am related to Hitler or someone of equal ill repute. Probably via Noah or someone like that.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ray, considering what human nature is like, it is hard to disagree with your point. Any group that attacked another would rape the women if you go back in to history, and if the attacker conquered the people they attacked, then it was even worse. If the husband had been sterilized by one of several childhood diseases that could do just that, then yes the wife had to find someone else to give her children or they had to adopt. That is why so many people are curious about their ancestry. Heck, in Chicago in the 1950s, 29% of all births were children whose blood type that was incompatible with the woman's husband's blood type. Or at least, 29% is the number that I remember from what I was told in Biology 102 in College.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

You aint going to believe this. I googled how long a generation is. Means the average age of parents of a kid born today is 25 years old. Assuming their parents were also 25 years old when they were born etc. I ran the math back to 1490 (You double each generation) then add up all the generations put together.
A kid born today has 8,388,606 ancestors since Columbus discovered America!! Can you begin to imagine how many it would be in the 4,000 years christians claim the human race started with Adam & Eve? I guarantee you, you can find every shade of evil and sin ever committed somewhere in those numbers along with every shade of heroism too.
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

When I was growing up my maternal grandmother used to say we were related the English kings way back when. When I did go to trace my linage on Ancestry I found out my grandmother was right. Richard the Lionhearted, William the Conqueror, Elanor of Aquitaine, Viking kings and Celtic kings but so are millions of other people too. Guess some of the old family legends were true after all. Also found out I lost 2 great,great,great uncles in the Civil War.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man......I spent the big bucks and had mine done. I found out that Blaine is my fourth cousin and Griff could possibly be my dad. :D

People put too much emphasis on this stuff. Look at animals....they enjoy each moment only being concerned about their next meal.

Who cares.....enjoy life for what it is, shoot, then die.

I have spent a considerable amount of time around black folk. They are always happy.....they may shoot and stab each other....but they live for the moment...smiling, drinking, making babies.......

Maybe that's what us white folk ought to do----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:When I was growing up my maternal grandmother used to say we were related the English kings way back when. When I did go to trace my linage on Ancestry I found out my grandmother was right. Richard the Lionhearted, William the Conqueror, Elanor of Aquitaine, Viking kings and Celtic kings but so are millions of other people too. Guess some of the old family legends were true after all. Also found out I lost 2 great,great,great uncles in the Civil War.
Hey we are cousins or something. Richard the Lionhearted, William the Conqueror, Elenor of Aquitaine are in my background as well. We are on the bayeux tapestry. Maybe that's where the paleo thing is coming from? I am connected to both sides of the brouhaha in Braveheart.

Turns out that the family that lives across the boardwalk from my Ak place are also related, and I am related to a guy I know in secret cove by another connection.

Fun stuff but it is all accident of birth with nothing we had any influence over, it just happened, to use a recent phrase.

What was that thing going around, that we are all related after 6 levels of separation? Or have mutual aquaintence? I bet that if there is a 3d history screen in heaven with a clicker we will all be astonished.

Grizz

http://www.bayeuxtapestry.org.uk/
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote:Oh man......I spent the big bucks and had mine done. I found out that Blaine is my fourth cousin and Griff could possibly be my dad. :D

Griff is too young to be your dad, you old coot! And I have Blaine figured for a rescue puppy.....where in the woods did y'all leave him?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The math says that every person of any European ancestry is related to EVERY European of 1000 years ago who had children. EVERY one of them. That is because that many generations back you would have a TRILLION+ grandparents. Many/most/all of those people are likely ?great-grandparents of yours 2+ times. So the royalty issue (and slave issue) has never been a big thing to me. However, to go back to first immigrant of each line is interesting. Just seeing how people move about and why is interesting. Yes, some people do the bedroom shuffle, but no where as many as you might think and the results are often known one way or another. All this in common and we are still unique individuals. How amazing is that?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Hobie wrote:. All this in common and we are still unique individuals. How amazing is that?
Some are more unique than others :lol:
What if you ran your DNA and found out you had a 4th cousin who played tuba? Or banjo? :shock:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:shock: Feelin' a little heat, here.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

We are all living history.

What I have read about the people of Iceland was interesting, being a reltively insulated group until recently etc.

The men are all of Viking Norwegian ancestry. Nearly all of the women are Gaelic Scots. Those Viking raiders based themselves out of Iceland and raided up and down the British coast, stealing women as slaves, and the genetics of the modern population of Iceland bear that out.

My only knowledge of special ancestors in our family comes from my Grandfather, who always said that it was one of our family that was the last man to get hung for horse stealing in the state of Georgia. That's all we got. :roll:
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm just jealous. I have my grand daddy's fiddle. He always said, "If you can whistle, you can play the fiddle. "
I'm here to tell you, he was wrong. :(
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Many years ago my Dad contacted the Mormon church to do a search on our lineage. On my Dad's side they were able to go back only for or five generations and the info petered out in the Tennessee hills. My Mother's side went back four generations to a Cherokee reservation in Oklahoma. So I don't know what I really am so I can celebrate St. Patrick's Day, Cinco de Mayo, Columbus Day, 4th of July, Hanuka, Christmas, and Kwanza (I actually have a Black cousin [adopted? or wuz I adopted?]). I guess I'm just a gun totin', bible thumpin' mutt! :mrgreen:

I am real proud of my Gramp on my Mom's side. He was a real cowboy from Cut-n-Shoot Texas.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray wrote:
vancelw wrote:
Hobie wrote:. All this in common and we are still unique individuals. How amazing is that?
Some are more unique than others :lol:
What if you ran your DNA and found out you had a 4th cousin who played tuba? Or banjo? :shock:

I think that was aimed at Blaine but I can identify with that...I played baritone, trombone, and tuba in junior high school and I pick a banjo at least an hour or so every day. Talking about dubious paternity...I sure hope Blaine was not stationed at Fort McClellan in the winter of '66='67. :?
Rut Row.... :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

My folks are from Arkansaw which makes daddy my favorite uncle...
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

My father told me years ago that any man can tell who his mother is but it takes a wise man to know who his father is. At the time when I was 9 or 10 it made no sense but as I got older it did.