Colt single actions....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Colt single actions....

Post by Malamute »

Who has one? Have any pictures?

Recent discussions elsewhere brought back memories of the ones I've had in the past, some amazing old ones, or engraved ones, and thoughts of New Frontiers that struck my fancy.

I have a couple Rugers, but,...they arent Colts. Lets see some nice Colt pictures.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Colt single actions....

Post by yooper2 »

I wish I had some to show!

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know Rugers "aren't Colts", but if my comparison were merely limited to picking which one seemed to be a better design, and handle better. . . I'd pick a Ruger. . . :o :o :o

If I were picking which one brings back the most fun childhood memories, it would be a Ruger.

Having said all that, if it were a comparison between a 19th Century Colt and a 21st Century Ruger, I would likely pick the Colt, based on a love for history, nostalgia, and investor value.

In the 100-year-old handgun realm, I actually think the double-action S&W's exhibit far more intricate and amazing engineering, aesthetics, and craftsmanship, than the famed and classic Colt Single Actions.

Just had to get that out there... :shock: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

AJMD429 wrote:I know Rugers "aren't Colts", but if my comparison were merely limited to picking which one seemed to be a better design, and handle better. . . I'd pick a Ruger. . . :o :o :o

If I were picking which one brings back the most fun childhood memories, it would be a Ruger.

Having said all that, if it were a comparison between a 19th Century Colt and a 21st Century Ruger, I would likely pick the Colt, based on a love for history, nostalgia, and investor value.

In the 100-year-old handgun realm, I actually think the double-action S&W's exhibit far more intricate and amazing engineering, aesthetics, and craftsmanship, than the famed and classic Colt Single Actions.

Just had to get that out there... :shock: :lol:
:? Guess you told him.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Malamute, I have a 1957 Colt 5 1/2 inch .45 Colt that I bought in 1959. It had 12 shots fired through it when I bought it, paid 100 bucks for it with stag grips and all. There are some pictures in Photobucket but I can't use my account anymore for some reason. Maybe I can email one to some one to post.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

claybob86 wrote: :? Guess you told him.
No offense meant; I'll ogle any Colt photographs along with all the rest of you'uns, and maybe someday get infected with the gotta-have-a-Colt virus too... :D

The only Colt Single Action I have ever been fortunate enough to own is a 1911... :oops:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Malamute, single action Colts are everywhere...I feel like I'm being baited. :D Just a few early first gens.....I don't even take pictures of thirds.---6 thats enough
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

Jeesh Sixgun, I have a couple but I hate to post after you. I'll put a picture of one of mine with it's only kill to date. The picture is in my work computer so it may be Monday.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun, that's just not fair, posting pictures like that; you're gonna make me change my mind... :?

Mebbe I'll start a Vintage S&W thread for therapy... :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey...thanks guys...but.........I'm 60 years old and have been at this for 40 + years......in a very gun rich area of the country......and excellent connections...

It's no biggie....it's all just "stuff"------6

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Excellent Six, thanks!

I like all the Colts, even the 3rd gen guns.

Yeah, Rugers are "better", but thats not the point. Colts have history, and a certain element of class that others just dont have. I've fooled with some old Smiths, years ago I gave my dad an 1880's Smith DA, nickel, in 44 Russian. Cool gun. It isnt a Colt though. The Colt single actions just reek of history to me, in a way no other guns, except perhaps early Winchesters, cartridge conversion Sharps buffalo guns, and Trapdoors, do.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I must have shown this one with the story here at one time or another but aint sure. It breaks my heart. Its a colt new frontier in .45 colt, 5 1/2" barrel. Audy Murphy bought it new along with another consecutively numbered with it. This one is #5355NF. He willed them to his two sons. Evidently one son took his to a pawn shop in Reseda California and didn't bother to tell them it was his famous fathers. I came along and bought it in about 1973 for I think, $250s! It was about the going price back then. I shot it just a little and then bought the book, "Post war single action armys." Author was George Garton. The mate was in the book. I got his number from the publisher and called him. He confirmed mine was the missing colt and knew who had the other. The other was well documented by the other brother etc. He tried to buy mine but I wouldn't sell. I got a colt letter on mine and it confirmed it was one of the pair sent to Wolfram Leather company in Monrovia California in 1965 and that was as the other son told Garton where his dad got them. I made it a safe queen. Later I got married. Still later my ex wife ran off with another married man and at the same time many guns in my collection that I owned prior to marriage also disappeared. Of course she didn't take them she told the detective. However only her and I had the safe combo. About 6 months went by as I THOUGHT I had lost the key to a inner compartment to my antique safe. We were still fighting property etc in the divorce when I pried that compartment open. Since I was still legally married the detective refused to list the missing guns hot. I had to go to court and prove I had bought them prior to marriage etc. I did get a settlement that if any ever showed up they were to be declared mine. I later backed off and didn't pursue the thefts farther as I cooled off and for our daughter`s sake. I also lost another colt single action, models 1877, 1878, a Remington derringer, a bring back Luger a uncle gave me, a DA S&W .44 Russian break top, and other stuff. About once or twice a year I write about the incident on one or another gunsite just to keep certain people stirred up. Thanks for listening. If this gun shows up give me a crack? I am sure its my best and worst gun deal all wrapped up in one.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Un, here is some of those lost guns. I have all numbers if needed.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

JerryB wrote:Malamute, I have a 1957 Colt 5 1/2 inch .45 Colt that I bought in 1959. It had 12 shots fired through it when I bought it, paid 100 bucks for it with stag grips and all. There are some pictures in Photobucket but I can't use my account anymore for some reason. Maybe I can email one to some one to post.
According to the online inflation calculator I checked, that $100 works out to $813.01 in 2014 dollars.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

claybob86 wrote:
JerryB wrote:Malamute, I have a 1957 Colt 5 1/2 inch .45 Colt that I bought in 1959. It had 12 shots fired through it when I bought it, paid 100 bucks for it with stag grips and all. There are some pictures in Photobucket but I can't use my account anymore for some reason. Maybe I can email one to some one to post.
According to the online inflation calculator I checked, that $100 works out to $813.01 in 2014 dollars.
Yep....but inflation doesn't account for appreciation....

I always love it when someone breaks out the blue book on leverguns, SAAs, double rifles...etc. Prices are all over the place on "hot" and popular items, and it varies regionally. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sell any of my Colts or Leverguns for what the book says. :D Or the economist. :twisted:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

These are all 44-40s. Front to back: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 2nd and 1st.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The fact is whats all over the place is each individuals wealth. darn the bluebook and inflation tables. A hundred to me would be less than a penny and to the next poor soul a hundred might mean life or death.
The way I have pretty much looked at things is equate price out to me as, after taxes and living expense`s how long do, or in my retired state, did I have to work for that object? If you get $15 a hour how much discretionary income is left at the end of the week or month? How long did I work for what they are asking?
I have a mentally challenged nephew that is on the system. Once he told me of a bum that hit him up for a handout. He said, "I told him to go out and work for money like I do!" That cracked me up! I said like you do? You lazy xxx, ya aint worked a day in your life! No wonder he doesn't call much anymore.
I once bought a brand new 2 1/2" nickle python on a half price sale in about 1970. I paid about $165 for it as list was about $335. I have been offered in the neighborhood of $4,000s for it recently. I didnt sell it as I like it although I know I should have. I will probley sell it when I have to if I get in a big pinch down the line. I remember riding in a snowstorm on a harley when the road was almost impassable and I couldnt get my truck out of the driveway. It was the 5th morning and end of the 5 day sale where Jack First ran "the Gunshop" in Lancaster Calif. He would put out certain guns the first 5 days of January with another 10% off each day. I had seen it there the 4th night and vowed to be there in the morning when they would open the chute! I coulda/shoulda got killed getting there!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

M. M. Wright wrote:Image
MM, if that left front 2nd gen were a .38 it'd be the virtual twin of one I'd tried to buy to match up to my wife's 2nd gen... But, someone wanted it far worse that I did... as I overbid for it! It'd been the seller's cowboy gun that he distressed to look like a first. Funny part was (not really, kinda sickening), as I didn't know he was going to sell it till it appeared on an auction site... I called 'im and said my wife wanted the gun... he said, "...if it don't sell, you can have it for x$, far less than I bid and even way less than it eventually sold for!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Love those bisley's guys!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Got these a short while back and love them. Both in .45. 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

A few of my "working" Colts.

Top two are 38-40's...3rd. Gens.......might be my best shooting Colts....perfect tolerences.

Bottom two...one is a New Frontier 44 Spl. with factory ivories and an extra 44-40 cylinder. This one has logged 5,428 rounds.

The other New Frontier is a 44-40, stags, with an extra 44 Spl. cylinder, both early third gens.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Shrapnel,
Nice early Colts..... :D Descriptions please......-----6

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Do many people actually keep track of how many rounds they put through a gun? I couldnt tell you how many I shot at the end of the first day that I tried out a brand new one.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Booger Bill wrote:Do many people actually keep track of how many rounds they put through a gun? I couldnt tell you how many I shot at the end of the first day that I tried out a brand new one.
Booger,
In addition to complimenting you on some very nice early sixguns, (that early Smith 44 Russian would look very nice at my place).....yes......I have always kept a log of every round I have fired through each gun.......except .22 rimfires. Just today I logged 170 rounds out of a Colt 6940, 58 rounds out of a M-1 Garand National Match, built in 1953, and 80 rounds of .223 out of a Colt Sporter II 6550 CC Z prototype tiger camo.

With the "rounds per gun shot", I also keep a detailed log on each gun as to the velocity and accuracy of each load I put through it.....keep in mind I only do this once for each load.....after that, it's play time.------6

Most of these guns are long gone but I keep the records so I can match/compare to other like guns.

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have two USFA Rodeos which are nice but no way as pretty as a nicely finished Colt.........it is a shame that I have never shot them much and they have become safe queens, though that was not my intent when I bought them. I wonder what they are worth now (3" shop keeper and 4.5" both in 45 LC)? Probably does not matter as I know whatever I sold them for I could never replace them and I would be poorer for not being able to experience shooting them when the bug bites me. I will probably take them out for exercise now and again for the next 20 years and then burden my heirs with their disposal.

Wm
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

wm wrote:I have two USFA Rodeos which are nice but no way as pretty as a nicely finished Colt.........it is a shame that I have never shot them much and they have become safe queens, though that was not my intent when I bought them. I wonder what they are worth now (3" shop keeper and 4.5" both in 45 LC)? Probably does not matter as I know whatever I sold them for I could never replace them and I would be poorer for not being able to experience shooting them when the bug bites me. I will probably take them out for exercise now and again for the next 20 years and then burden my heirs with their disposal.

Wm
Any of the USFA products are quite pricy now since they havve closed their doors -- made on original Colt tooling or something? I forget the story --- i know i can occasionally find 3rd gen Colts cheaper than most usfa's now.

I'll post another pic of my lone 2nd gen NRA model when i can --- i like shooting it
I love the design in general so much i picked up a Cimarron 5.5" as a rainy day sorta' blaster --- thats a bit of an unfair assessment , as its a charming firearm in its own right and when i put it side by side next to the real Colt, they look like brothers .

I got the bug - just trying not to go off the deep end again.
----- Doug
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

While I have a lot of guns I really am not a very active shooter. Funny, years ago when I was young and worked endless overtime I shot and experimented much more. I reloaded, have a ransom rest etc. Now retired, spend most of my time on these gun chat sites. Go figure. Anyway I have shelves full of handful's of various loads and my garage full of ammo is mass confusion.
I wish I had known how to operate a computer back then. (Still dont really know how). I know it could be done, recording each load and bring up photo`s of the targets etc. New shooters, take note!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi Bill, nice to see you here and still posting. Some very nice pictures here Guys!!!! Thank you! While I agree the action of the Cold SAA is the "Rolls Royce" of actions with the Freedom Arms guns coming in a very close second, I just don't get the standard SAA grip frame. It always feels too small to me and my hands are just medium to large wide. My first handgun ever was my Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt. That grip is extremely close to the Keith #5 so I guess I would want a Keith #5 replica most of all, even over an authentic 1st gen Colt.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news/ar ... d_Ammo.pdf

But of course, I would want mine in 45 Long Colt. 8)

Just sayin'. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

My 2nd Gen --- love the way the slim 7.5" barrel balances ! Model 94 Trapper in .45 makes a great companion piece

I know this is not a Colt -- its the 5.5" Cimarron --- but its a dead ringer and the way it shoots makes me appreciate the repro's even more -- A few years ago i would have turned up my nose at one

This is the extent of my big bore single action collection --- would love to add a New Frontier to the mix one of these days, - but both these guns shoot close enough to POA with most mild loads that i can be happy with these for a long time

----- Doug
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sixgun wrote:Shrapnel,
Nice early Colts..... :D Descriptions please......-----6
The first picture is 2 38-40's with custom grips made by Dan Pursley out of Buffalo Bone. He quit making those grips several years ago. The top is a third Generation, the bottom is a first generation. Finding Colt SAA in 38-40 with a 71/2 inch barrel is rare.

The second is a Bisly in 38-40, another hard to find configuration. It is a nice original first generation.

The third picture is a first generation in 45 Colt with custom made Rosewood grips done by Rocky Cushman. The second gun is a 44-40 that I got from Hank Williams Jr. The third is a 3rd generation 38-40 with custom buffalo bone grips. The 4th is another 38-40 that I got from Hank Williams Jr, it is a first generation Colt.

The last picture is the 44-40 with a rabbit I killed with it...

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Here are some Colt SAA's and long guns chambered in the same cartridge...

Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

¡Ay, caramba! You people are killing me with all of these photos. Alas, I have nothing to contribute. A genuine Colt SAA is far beyond my reach and likely to remain above my tax bracket for years to come...
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OS......it's about time you jumped in. :D

And Shrapnel..thanks......your early leverguns.......nice Whitneys!

Your likes in firearms mirror mine. There's just something about fine firearms from the 1870-1920 period. Fun to shoot, collect, compete, and hunt with.......and they are better than money in the bank.

Over the years I have had Colt Lightnings, of which only three remain....and contrary to what is written, they digest as many thousands of rounds as do the Winchesters......with no issues.

I take it your having trouble pulling Mike V. away from those WW 1 and 2 guns. :D

I had this Rem-Keene out a few weeks ago shooting steel at the gunclub. People look at it and say, "what in tarnation is THAT?..........It shoots like a modern bolt gun.-----6

Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Sixgun wrote: And Shrapnel..thanks......your early leverguns.......nice Whitneys!

Your likes in firearms mirror mine. There's just something about fine firearms from the 1870-1920 period. Fun to shoot, collect, compete, and hunt with.......and they are better than money in the bank.

Over the years I have had Colt Lightnings, of which only three remain....and contrary to what is written, they digest as many thousands of rounds as do the Winchesters......with no issues.

I take it your having trouble pulling Mike V. away from those WW 1 and 2 guns. :D
No, he wrote his book and now we are back into the older guns again. The current issue of Rifle magazine has a Winchester 1873 of mine in 22 long. He did a nice article on it. He finished and submitted an article on a model 1895 of mine that I got not too long ago and it will be in the next issue of Handloader magazine. I just took a 25-35 over to him and he is going to write an article on it...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I was waiting for you analysis of what that old one I posted is timewise. Unneeded hint, it's hard rubber grips are worn almost smooth.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well OS.........You have always had the "magic touch" of "rubbing things that are smooth". :D

Geeze....all those California women....errr.......Colts....sorry.

Well, I have to hit the road and see what's new at Targetmaster...See ya in a few hours.----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow, you guys got some awesome stuff. I wouldn't have even posted in this thread other than to say " Bravo Guys".

Hey Six,

I knew you had some cool stuff but Wow.
I'm surprised you'd associate with an old hillbilly like me. :D

This is the only real Colt SAA I've got. It's a first gen with the wrong grips but she's tight as bank vault and a good shooter. It's a .45 of course. Disregard the .22's.
20140420_110006.jpg
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

................................. :|

You guys are getting to me... :?

I keep telling myself Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need....

WHY do I keep coming back to you enablers....

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I see an awful lot of really fine looking Colts pictured. Thanks!
And then there is the other end of the spectrum -- here's granddad's old working gun. "Working" as in repairing fence, fixing windmills, etc. I know my dad carried it in his toolbox, in the bottom part that held the large wrenches.
OldColdRightSidesmall.jpg
And the view you do not want to have:
OldColt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

AJMD429 wrote:................................. :|

You guys are getting to me... :?

I keep telling myself Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need....

WHY do I keep coming back to you enablers....

Here, I have something to help you. Go look at the pics here,

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/single- ... hread.html

That should help get any ideas of Colts out of your mind.

Yep, I'm here for ya. You can thank me later.

I registered just so I could see all the pictures.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Doc wrote: I keep telling myself Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need....i]....
Doc,
You want Rugers?? Here are the 3 different barrel lengths of 44 Flatops and 2 of the 357 Flattops. I only need a 10" .357........Not pictured...all calibers of Old Model Rugers.

I don't worry about posting this stuff for the world to see. I have about the same security as Fort Knox.......without the explanation on why I/my family/others had to shoot. :D ----6

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:
Doc wrote: I keep telling myself Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need, Rugers are all I need....i]....
Doc,
You want Rugers?? Here are the 3 different barrel lengths of 44 Flatops and 2 of the 357 Flattops. I only need a 10" .357........Not pictured...all calibers of Old Model Rugers.

I don't worry about posting this stuff for the world to see. I have about the same security as Fort Knox.......without the explanation on why I/my family/others had to shoot. :D ----6

If I'm ever out your way, I promise to bring my own drool-rags if you give me a tour...! :D

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

You guys are posting a very fine assortment of guns & thanks for the tour!!!!

I did take out a Colt in 44-40 today & shot the heck out of it SORRY no pic.

ollogger
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Colt Second Gen .357 Mag, I Killed the deer with my BLR, but couldn't resist the temptation to take a picture with the Colt, as it was the first time I had carried it afield and I sorta figured it might bring me a little luck, that day. And I guess it did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I used to own this one, it's a third gen .357, but it never shot as good as the later aquired 2nd gen Colt which isn't in any danger of being traded off.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

The same second gen Colt and a couple of Rugers. There all good guns but the Colt will out shoot them for point of aim. That particular Colt is just dead on with the sights, and the trigger is a lot better too, but it has been tuned.
NRA Life Member, Patron