The Good Old Gun Writers...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

The Good Old Gun Writers...

Post by cshold »

Who was your favorite back in the day?
Jim Carmichael in the 70's for me.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... un-writers
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Good Old Gun Writers...

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and of course Elmer Keith.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Jack O'Connor. I still have the .270 Remington I got in 1954.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Bill Jordan
Phil Spangenburger
Mr Keith
more recently Mike V and Brian Pearce
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

Dean Grennell was my favorite gunwriter.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Most all of them, except P. Shilberger... a horse's rear if there ever was one.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grew up reading Jack O'Connor in junior high school, then went to Mel Tappan :twisted: then Elmer Keith then Jeff Cooper.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I loved the battles between O'Connor and Keith back in the day. They got into it over what gun/load was best but in the end it was all over nothing as either gun killed just as dead at any reasonable distance.
The Q&A colums were good too , "Will my .22 or kill a moose?" Dah!!!
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Jack O'Conner, Skeeter Skelton and Russell Anabel
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

In no specific order: Jeff Cooper, Charles Askins, Jon Sundra, Mike Venturino (still is!), Jack O'Connor, Dave Arnold. Some of the other monthly writers for G&A and Shooting Times like Art Blatt, Howard French, Dave Hetzler, Bill Jordan, Phil Spangenberger and Skeeter Skelton as well. Still have a bunch of those old mags and read them again and again, every now and then.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jack O'Connor, Skeeter Skelton.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

I used to really enjoy Finn Aagaard. They don't make'em like him anymore. Finn was always doing articles about guns he built from old Mauser actions, and high tech for him was a piece of inner tube for a scope cover. I still remember an article he did where he got one of the early fiberglass stocks and decided it was too slick, so he mixed some left over acuraglass with sand from the creek and slathered it on for 'checkering'.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Skeeter Skelton was my favorite, but I read all I could get my hands on.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Gary Sitton

I miss his "Backtracking" stories.
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I enjoyed Finn, he said he got that trick from Phil Shoemaker.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Warren Page, Finn Asgard, Jack O'Connor, Skeeter Skelton
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Skeeter Skelton, Jack O'Connor, Grits Gresham and now Brian Pearce.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Got to visit with John Taffin at a SASS match in Branson once. We both liked Lucian Carey who wrote for True Magazine. I've mentioned Russell Annabell here before. Keith of course, since "Hell I Was There". Taffin and I are exactly the same age so we grew old on the same writers. Now days I like Venturino and Mas Ayoob, but I still go to the back page of Guns to read Taffin first. I still have most of O'Conner's books on my shelf but then I have the first Guns and nearly all the subsequent issues of that magazine.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Anybody remember Warren Page? He was one of the best.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Skeets was the most interesting as he always added humor......by far, my favorite

When Elmer Keith talked/wrote.....I listened as his word was gold with me....he could do no wrong.

Bill Jordan was a close second to Skeeter.

Warren Page was good...but as he was a mental genius, his writing was somewhat boring.....truthful, but boring.

Jack O'Connor's articles were usually skipped over....while good, the things he wrote about never interested me.

Askins? He was somethin'. I "hear" he did not have much value for subhuman life...it's just what I hear.....no facts. His daddy was th consummate of all things "shotgun".

Then we have Bob Milek, Dan Flores, Rick Jamison, Skeeter Jr., and a host of others who were good guys and wrote very well.....Jamison was almost scientific in his writings...very smart guy.......but hey,
there's only so much time to read.........kind of hard to get to know all of them.

Today, my favorites, like Fordwannabe says, Mike V. and Brian Pearce. And of course , John Taffin. These guys write on the guns I like and I have learned a great deal from them.

Then we have that yahoo from Texas, a writer name Griff......he's good on the blackpowder stuff and is very entertaining writing about his adventures on the road, while with his best buddy...the Black Rose. :D -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Elmers book on shotguns, Cooper, and I'll mention a "newer" fella that is also good, Denis Prisby.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Jeff Cooper and than Bob Milek, Ross Seyfried and Brian Pearce.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

3leggedturtle wrote:Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and of course Elmer Keith.

Add me to that list!!! :!: :!: :!:
Merle from PA
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I enjoyed most of them. Ross Seifried, and Jeff Cooper were the ones I always turn to first.....
I have not subscribed to a gun rag in years, so I'm not familiar with some of the new guys.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Had an interesting run in with Milek once.
I will tell the story in person, but not here; too public.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

It's been a long time since I bought a gun mag, but I used to read Coopers Corner often, which is why I bought my first 10mm in the 80's. Carried a 1911 for awhile but went back to the 10mm. I will always be thankful to Cooper for it's development.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Now if we could just get Shrapnel to do some writing. Or have Mike V. write as he talks. Would be some intersting backwoods hunts and stories.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3leggedturtle wrote:Or have Mike V. write as he talks. Would be some intersting backwoods hunts and stories.
Spent many a nite around a campfire with Mike... you're right.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

When I was growing up I liked Bob Milek. My Mom and Dad got a subscription from G&A for me and I always looked forward to Bob's articles.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Griff wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:Or have Mike V. write as he talks. Would be some intersting backwoods hunts and stories.
Spent many a nite around a campfire with Mike... you're right.

Griff, I meant have Mike write the stories as Shrapnel told them, but I bet Mike would be just as interesting too.

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

A lot of good ones here but I'd like to add Ken Waters. Him, Elmer Keith, and Skeeter Skelton will always be my favorites.

Eric
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Hell guys, all of the above writers were and some still are good.
We all read their books and articles in the magazines.
I was introduced to them as a 10 year old at Christmas with books from Jack O'Conner and Elmer Kieth. Many of nights I was reading them under the covers with a flashlight so Dad or Mom would think I was sleeping. Little did I know that they knew exactly what was going on, but since I was reading they encouraged it.
They also never gave me any slack come school time to get up. Great days growing up.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Hal Swigget, pastor, gun writer, good man!

TomF
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

How bout Jo9hn Whooters!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I got every Shooting Times I could get my hands on, in the early 80's, to read Skelton and Jordan's articles. I also had Guns and Ammo's Guns of the Gunfighters which had articles by Keith, Gary James and Phil Spangenberger along with others. I was not flush with cash so the library got hit pretty often.... mostly the Colby series of firearms books and also the Time Life series. Lots of flaws in the latter and the G and A book but lots of fun to read and a starting point at least. I enjoy Keith and Taffin now and still read Old West and Civil War history/firearms. Right now I am reading the Texas Rangers by Webb. I would like to find some of the books of Francis Sell as I've enjoyed his stuff when I could get my hands on it. Seyfried, Pearce and Scoville when they talk revolvers, levers or a classic round for them.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

3leggedturtle wrote:Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and of course Elmer Keith.
These would be mine with Skeeter being my favorite. I'd have to add Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch, a common sense type of guy. I also consider Rick Jamison a trusted authority on reloading. I met Jim Carmichael once and asked him to sign my copy of a book he had written, just looked at me and walked off. Bill Jordon on the other hand, gladly signed my copy of his "No Second Place Winners", it's one of my most prized possessions, and talked to me like a brother for several minutes. I liked and admired Colonel Cooper for years and read every thing he wrote that I could get my hands on...until he started his tirade about how useless the 9mm was.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Don't know if he rates as one of the old ones, but Glen Fryxell is well worth reading, especially if you like to roll your own loads.
I'm currently reading "hell, I was there" by Keith. He kind of had me stunned several times when he called the 30-06 a poor game getter. I can only assume that in his day good hunting bullets were hard to find.
Problem with many gun writers, both old and new, is they write what the paying customer wants to hear. If the customer is the maker of a new gun then it's a great gun that we should all rush out and buy. If the customer is an old hunter then he is advised that he's better off sticking with his trusty 30-30
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

gundownunder wrote:Don't know if he rates as one of the old ones, but Glen Fryxell is well worth reading, especially if you like to roll your own loads.
I'm currently reading "hell, I was there" by Keith. He kind of had me stunned several times when he called the 30-06 a poor game getter. I can only assume that in his day good hunting bullets were hard to find.
Problem with many gun writers, both old and new, is they write what the paying customer wants to hear. If the customer is the maker of a new gun then it's a great gun that we should all rush out and buy. If the customer is an old hunter then he is advised that he's better off sticking with his trusty 30-30

You are correct about that. He (among others) even experimented with GI bullets turned backwards for a wadcutter effect. Said it worked pretty good. :shock:
Merle from PA
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

See a lot of familiar bylines here. For me, O'Connor topped the list, although he was said to be an *** in person. Cooper wrote like a bank vault closes. Appreciated and miss Gary Sitton. Ross Seyfried brings wonderful passion to his work, and writes about some of the most interesting firearms ever made. I have spent many happy hours with Ken Waters over the years. Reaching back, I will read anything that came from the hand of Ned Roberts.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I owe a lot to American gun writers, growing up in the virtual firearm desert of England, I read everything about anything that was firearm related. As I got older I managed to get a job in the Birmingham gun trade and my modest knowledge stood me well.
Still learning from reading the posts on Leverguns, some of you guys are up there with the best!... :D
A couple of British gun writers I liked were Gough Thomas and Major J.E.M.Ruffer.
Whilst working for Westley Richards I re-sleeved an experimental 16 gauge for Gough Thomas.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

And never to be forgotten: Mr. Patrick F. McManus

Apparently he has totally retired.
http://patrickfmcmanus.com/index.html
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

casastahle wrote:And never to be forgotten: Mr. Patrick F. McManus

. Outdoor life.......I have never laughed harder then when reading his column. What a talent.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

John Jobson was camping editor for "Sports Afield".
His camping always involve hunting and shooting of some form.
His stories always reflected his respect for the game.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

C. Cash wrote:
casastahle wrote:And never to be forgotten: Mr. Patrick F. McManus

. Outdoor life.......I have never laughed harder then when reading his column. What a talent.
+1 :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

"Whilst working for Westley Richards I re-sleeved an experimental 16 gauge for Gough Thomas."
Gracious, Game Keeper, we are among top-drawer company with you here!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Elmer Keith,........... Skeeter Skelton, wrote when Elmer passed that "He "was the most accurate judge of distance He had ever seen"...... told ME All I need to know.
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

Hey guys, refresh my memory wasn't there a reloading writer by the name of John Wooten?
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

This all depends on our ages. I started buying gun magazines heavy in the late 50`s. I have pretty much quit buying them for quite a few years now. Funny, I pretty much quit buying them after the gun world went to black guns, "Tactical", shaved heads, martian sunglass`s etc.
That means of course who was popular that we all liked, Elmer, Skeeter, Bill Jordan etc. I read them all. I still like Venturino and Russ Sigfurd (sp?). One that no one mentioned that wrote for a little while is Tommy Bish. I have a Colt Single Action that he rebuilt. When it comes to revolvers and levers what new thing can possibly be wrote about that hasnt been rehashed many times long ago?
jp
Levergunner

Post by jp »

Francis Sell, Keith, Annabel, Skelton,
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Another couple of British gun writers : Geoffrey Bothroyd and Collins Greenwood.
Geoffrey Bothroyd was responsible for James Bond giving up his .25 ACP.
Collins Greenwood was a senior police officer and firm believer in civilian gun ownership.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.