Marlin 1895

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1895

Post by Hombre »

A friend of mine have an old Marlin mod. 1895, mfg 1905. He need an original extractor for it....Should be happy if someone could guide me in the right direction. Any help at all should be very much appreciated.

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
BrentD

Re: Marlin 1895

Post by BrentD »

that's easy. I just bought one myself. Any extractor listed in ebay or gunbroker for an 1893 or 1894 will work - for sure. In the original 95. Just cruise those two places and some of the used parts dealers like Wisner's etc and you will find one pretty darn quick.

Brent
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I would recommend Numrich, but I seem to recall they won't ship outside the US.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wisner's has lots of good stuff for both old and new leverguns (even got a new plastic buffer for my Marlin 45 ACP Camp Carbine there...!). I think they are new-manufacture, but unless you just have to have a vintage/aged part, for something mostly concealed like an extractor, I'd not mind 'new manufacture'.

http://wisnersinc.com/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, Wisner's manufactures all the obsolete parts they carry - a very good source, even though they don't make "everything".

Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Thank you all for your suggestions....
Wisners and all on ebay up to now do not sell abroad so my friend have to solve this in another way...
Again, thanks!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Well Stefan, I bought the one on ebay yesterday. I am happy to send it to you as I can easily get another. However, I thought, just for fun, I would check into the legality of it all. So, I called my local BATF office in Des Moines

The DSM guy stuttered around and said, “yeah, it should be okay” but when I said I think it is really a problem sending something like a barrel, he decided he really didn't have a clue, so he gave me a phone number in West Virginia to call. That guy said he only works with firearms involved in a crime. So when I asked if I would be involved with a crime if I shipped this extractor to Sweden, he hung up on me. When I hit redial to call the number back I get “You have reached a nonworking number.” I really don't hate the feds as a rule, and feel sorry as hell for some the bleep they take every day for no reason, but I can see why people hate feds sometimes.

So, next I thought I would just call another, different, field office of the BATF and see if there was a brighter bulb to talk too. I went through this crazy phone menus system - about 6 levels. Finally someone picks up the phone and mentions that she sees I've been transferred from the Kansas City Office - well, I don't know where she was, but apparently not KC. Anyway, when I asked if I could send this part, she said that, "believe it or not, the BATF only regulates the IMPORTATION of firearms and parts, not the EXPORTATION". for that, I need to call the State Department, and no she did not have a phone number because their computer system was down at the moment. Then she hung up on me.

So, now I'm debating if this is worth pursuing any further, and if so, were to go. I'm not really into tackling the State Department website - looks bigger than the library of congress. And they don't seem to have field offices either. So, I'm considering tackling a senator. I despise them both, but maybe I can make one of those dogs hunt for me, seeing as I pay them to do that.

It becomes an interesting question, not so much the legality of it but rather the journey to find out (officially, not via 45th-hand internet blather, however well intended).

Anyway, Stefan, I may or may not have an extra extractor that I would be willing (if able) to send you. However, you could probably make this simple part with a hacksaw and file faster than you can read this post I've just written.

Brent
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Stephan,
After quite a lot of research, this morning I was officially informed that because the value of this part is under $100, it would be legal to ship it to Sweden w/o a permit. That is, if it is legal on your end.

If you want it, let me know and send me a surface mail address and I'll pop it in the mail. If you don't want it, that's fine, I can use the spare.

Brent

PS. For those interested, here is the exact text I received, so you don't have to regard this as just another internet opinion

Most firearms and parts are on the U.S. Munitions List (USML), and ordinarily their export would require a license from the Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). However, if the value of your extractor is under $100, you could take advantage of the exemption in Part 123.17(a)(1) of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) to ship the part to Sweden without a license:

§123.17 Exports of firearms, ammunition, and personal protective gear.
(a) Port Directors of U.S. Customs and Border Protection shall permit the export without a license of:
(1) Parts and components for USML Category I(a) firearms, except barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or complete breech mechanisms, when the total value does not exceed $100 wholesale in any transaction
Kirk Bennett
DDTC Response Team
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

BrentD, thanks for the legwork and the post. And God Bless the feds, they need all the help they can get. Good grief.