You Folks up the East Coast.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

You Folks up the East Coast.....

Post by Blaine »

Take care. Be safe. I'll be thinking of you.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Re: You Folks up the East Coast.....

Post by mack »

They are really hyping these storms. Most are non events if you've been around a few years. We routinely go off grid 3 or 4 times per winter for a couple of days at a stretch. (longest was 37 days, the fuel bill for the generator began to hurt) I can't believe the number of people that go over the edge if they are stuck at home for a day or two!
I'll ship you a cooler of snow if you would like?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mack wrote:They are really hyping these storms. Most are non events if you've been around a few years. We routinely go off grid 3 or 4 times per winter for a couple of days at a stretch. (longest was 37 days, the fuel bill for the generator began to hurt) I can't believe the number of people that go over the edge if they are stuck at home for a day or two!
I'll ship you a cooler of snow if you would like?
Most people are somewhat helpless.......Most of "us" are not...In the urban areas, I suspect that other helpless people are the greater danger to others.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

a BEER shortage could create wide spread panic...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The talking heads are predicting a "historic" storm for Monday nite thru Tuesday.

I just hope it doesn't equal the Feb 6, 1978 blizzard that dropped upwards of 36" of snow in 30hrs - The then-governor closed every state road to traffic for a week, so front-end loaders could clear the roads unimpeded. (Bulldozers simply shoved abandoned vehicles to one side to clear a path for emergency vehicles)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks for the thoughts Blaine. No worries though, just more of the "weather terrorists" BS.
As mack said, I really doubt it'll be anything we ain't seen before. Fact is, we had way more snow and cold last year than we have had so far this year. Two feet of snow doesn't mean here what it does in the cities.

I'm just up 201 a ways feom you mack. Enjoy the show.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Oh it's just a passing snow squall that's all! Really my family and I pretty much set. Kids and my wife who teaches are looking forward for a day off. In fact it'll be their first full snow day of the school year and that's rare. Years past they would of all ready missed a week but not this year, just a few delays or early releases.

Mainehunter :wink:
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I'm well equipped for snow driving. My '98 Ford Explorer has AWD with Bridgestone Winter Dueler tires. No traction problems at all. But shoveling snow is always a chore that I dread. Last storm, the township snow plow sealed my driveway entrance with piles of snow.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have 1 1/2 cord of wood 20 ft from the front door under cover and a 1/4 cord under a tarp I put on the front porch yesterday. I got the generator started and bought 5 gal. extra of gas and 5 gal. of kerosene. Guess I have prepared as much has I can.
Prepare for the worst hope for the best trusting God with the rest.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Not much else to do, when there's been a Southern New England bread & milk alert.... :mrgreen:

wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Oh, puh - leeze.

One website says 28 mil Americans affected. (no idea how many illegals!) By my Kentucky math, that's less than 10% of the population.

But because the north east is sooooo important and it's the center of the news media, this is truly the end of the world.

I suspect any serious lever gunners up that ways won't have any major problems.

Some of the rest of the sheeple, not so much.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

in '66 or '68 or so I was living in the city when there was a paralyzing blizzard. mountainous snow drifts. no garbage pickup for about a week. stores ran out of food. when the sun broke out it was dazzeling. I slid down a huge snowbank to the west side highway and hitched a ride to boston. it was amazing. long before the internet and the liar culture controlled the conversations. everyone seemed to enjoy it if their roofs didn't cave in.

anyone remember which storm I am remembering?

maybe it was a little earlier than that.

not total recall any more Bunky

Pete44ru wrote:.

The talking heads are predicting a "historic" storm for Monday nite thru Tuesday.

I just hope it doesn't equal the Feb 6, 1978 blizzard that dropped upwards of 36" of snow in 30hrs - The then-governor closed every state road to traffic for a week, so front-end loaders could clear the roads unimpeded. (Bulldozers simply shoved abandoned vehicles to one side to clear a path for emergency vehicles)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: Well....Phbbbbbbbtt! My heart was in the right place. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I remember that one. I hope they're all smart enough to stay off the road.
I met one man who froze in his car on 128 in Boston so long he lost 3 years of his memory. He had to ask friends and family where he had been and what he did.
I was living in Maine then, put the chains on the BMW and went to work. I was the only one who showed up.
The next year I moved to AZ.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Our (new) Governor (or is it Governess ? ;) ) is closing all roads in the state, as of midnight (a little over 2 hours from now, as we speak), until further notice.

Time for the coffee royale......................... :mrgreen:

williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

CNN showed a map of New England. Every state declared a disaster except Vermont.
Gotta admire Vermonters. They looked out the window said "Yup it's winter and it's snowing." and went back to what they were doing.
Bill Ranks
Robert A. Heinlein
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

So far on my weather station siting on top of my garage as of 9:00 am..... winds blowing from the north at 20 m.p.h. gusts of 40 m.p.h. Snowing at a rate of 1.5" per hour and rising! :|

Mainehunter :|
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

So far on my weather station siting on top of my garage as of 9:00 am..... winds blowing from the north at 20 m.p.h. gusts of 40 m.p.h. Snowing at a rate of 1.5" per hour and rising!
Ya forgot to mention that it's only 7 or 8 degrees out.

'Course, that's ABOVE zero, so it could be worse...... :lol:

Made a big breakfast, and now I'll go outside and get the firewood I
was too beat to go and get late last night.

-Stretch
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

stretch wrote:
So far on my weather station siting on top of my garage as of 9:00 am..... winds blowing from the north at 20 m.p.h. gusts of 40 m.p.h. Snowing at a rate of 1.5" per hour and rising!
Ya forgot to mention that it's only 7 or 8 degrees out.
'Course, that's ABOVE zero, so it could be worse...... :lol:

Made a big breakfast, and now I'll go outside and get the firewood I
was too beat to go and get late last night.

-Stretch
Right at the moment.... 10 degrees with wind chill of -8.... I went outside to get a handful of stove wood. It wasn't too bad until the wind/snow started to come up through my wool coat! :shock:

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Well, we had about a half foot of snow at 5am, here in central Massachusetts. At 9:30 am we've added a bit more than another foot.
The prediction was for up to two feet and it certainly looks like that will happen, maybe even a bit more.
The Gubbermint banned travel as of midnight last so there is no work today.

I've got a couple hundred feet of driveway to clear but there is no point in messing with it until the snow stops. The Intellicast weather map shows the snow continuing for about six more hours.

I hate the thought of the three or four feet of snow that the plows will leave at the end of the driveway. That will be all hand shoveling as the snowblower won't do packed snow much over a foot deep.

Every time that this happens, I start thinking that I should make a couple of parking places at the end of the drive, near the street. It would be bulldozer work though, and the money always seems to go elsewhere

I'm not too concerned about the whole thing as long as we don't loose power as I've only got a couple of days fuel for the generator.

I hope that everyone else is doing well.

Jack
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote:Thanks for the thoughts Blaine. No worries though, just more of the "weather terrorists" BS.
Aint that the truth. they were calling for a foot here and when i got up this morning, there was light coating. Came into work and found half the people called off. :D Retarts....losing money and scoring a point on the absentee policy. Its now almost 11 AM and still no snow.---------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Yup....A few snow flurries!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

rbertalotto wrote:Image

Yup....A few snow flurries!
Isn't that a pretty sight! 8) :lol:

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Drove the 55 miles home from work this morning and made my usual time. Don't get me wrong, it was snowing and blowing pretty good, but really?

I see as usual, the "weather terrorists" are backing off on their dire predictions to save face (at least up here).

Once they start reporting something like this coming its like they all have to "one up" each other to get the attention.

Its really been a pretty easy winter on the whole. Last year was colder and by this time we were running out of places to put the snow.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

Got dug out this morning in RI up north of Pete. The snow was over knee deep but dry powder so the snow blower went through no problem. A few hours outside with the wife and kids and we had the driveway, porch, walks, and wood pile cleared out. Also had the boys shovel at the neighbors across the street to help them out. Still snowing and windy so will get to do it again this evening.
The street isn't cleared yet and there's a travel ban anyhow so no place to go anyway.
Got the wood stove going and will probably snuggle up on the couch with my wife and read a book. Maybe take a walk on the snow shoes later before clearing the driveway again.
It's nice to have a day home with the family and to all work together in the snow. A good old fashioned blizzard is a fun family event.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I haven't left work in the last 30 hours, but from what I can tell its not so bad. It's a decent snow, no doubt, but doesn't seem to be horrible. Farther east of me and the north east seems to have taken the worst of it. No idea what my house looks like though. We had one like this a couple years ago, I had 3 feet in my yard and the people across the street had 8 inches. :roll:
Slow is just slow.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I have a measured (the official weather bureau check is less than a mile away, at the airport) 17.3" so far, not counting the 3' drifts from the gusting winds (up to 65mph) - so IMO, this will in no way be as disastrous as the blizzard of 1968 referred to above.

I've been trying to keep pace with the snowfall, blowing out my driveway/etc @ 11PM yesterday, 8AM, 11AM, and 1PM today.

We're expecting an additional 6" or so this afternoon, which my snowblower can handle - so it looks like I get a few hours rest. ;)

I started a venison chili this morning, between bouts outside - and the smell, when I come back inside, is very heartwarming. :mrgreen:

Please stay safe & warm, everybody.

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Sixgun wrote:
OldWin wrote:Thanks for the thoughts Blaine. No worries though, just more of the "weather terrorists" BS.
Aint that the truth. they were calling for a foot here and when i got up this morning, there was light coating. Came into work and found half the people called off. :D Retarts....losing money and scoring a point on the absentee policy. Its now almost 11 AM and still no snow.---------------6
I have a kid playing Jr. Hockey in Virginia. He said there was a whole 2-3inches of snow. I wish the media would report news and not try to create it. In California if it starts to sprinkle, its suddenly "Storm Watch 2015".
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Update from Central Maine:

We're at the thick end of 18" of snow now - although it's hard to tell with all of the drifting and
blowing. 11 degrees out. My plow man has come once already, but the casual observer
wouldn't really notice. Time to go and shovel the drifts away from the doors again!
It looks like a couple more hours of heavy snow to go, which will put
us close to two feet, I'm thinkin'.

My snowmobiling neighbors will be ECSTATIC!!

-Stretch
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

williamranks wrote:CNN showed a map of New England. Every state declared a disaster except Vermont.
Gotta admire Vermonters. They looked out the window said "Yup it's winter and it's snowing." and went back to what they were doing.

AMEN! It's January, it's Vermont, sometimes it snows, sometimes it even snows' a lot. I plowed snow for 15 years, "a lot", to me is way more than some talking head predicting we might get 4-8".

Our electric crews do very good work up here, so, at least where I live, any outages are short lived. Our highway crews do pretty good keeping the roads open so the power guys can get where they need to be.

We keep enough essentials stocked up so we can hunker down for a couple days and let the amateur drivers and Vermonter wanna-bees fight it out on the roads when just have to be out there regardless of conditions.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Well good news and some bad news with the storm here on the Kennebec. Bad news is the dog can't get off the porch to pee until I go out and shovel. Good news is that I just got word from #2 son that he passed the kidney stone that's been bugging him for 4 weeks,(he was home drinking beer all day I think).
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It rained a bit... OK, sprinkled a bit around noon. I'm sitting here in a t-shirt with the windows open. The fan is off so it must be cold. Yeah, that's it. It's cold around here. 8) 8) 8) Yep, high of 24* and low of 14*. It's cold. Just ask the locals. :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

80 here yesterday, played frisbee with the canine. Supposed to be 82 today, (record heat). Probably have the kids wash the truck. I worked a winter on a pipeline in New England one winter, used to like snow before that.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I can understand the weather folks and goobermint folks shutting things down "Justin Case" . Keep the idjits off the roads so they wouldn't have to be bulldozed off to the sides to clear the clogged roads.
In my sick twisted mind I had a chuckle thinking ,What if the storm just parked itself in the right place and buried NYC so deep it froze into a giant iceberg. Then broke away and floated off into wherever the ocean currents took it :lol:

On a serious note , you folks actually hit with the storm stay warm and safe.
Phil
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

January here in TX... which as usual, means the weather's highly unpredictable... unlike summer... when it'll just be hot and humid... 'sposed to 80ºF today, currently 78º. But, the temps are supposed to drop and rain for the weekend...

So, my NE brethren, get ready for it next week again!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Talked to one of the guys at the NH nuke today. They got 33 inches.
Bill Ranks
Robert A. Heinlein
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Their supercomputers could not predict a storm path, but "science" claims to know the weather conditions a hundred years from now...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

There is a huge difference between climate and weather. I don't know what the weather will be next week, but I am pretty certain that it will be a wintery climate a year from today.

Not sure why everyone has such a hard time with this issue, but then I guess if it doesn't fit in your politically correct basket, it doesn't fit.

Thankfully, it won't be my kids or grandkids that get to live in a seriously screwed up world...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:January here in TX... which as usual, means the weather's highly unpredictable... unlike summer... when it'll just be hot and humid... 'sposed to 80ºF today, currently 78º. But, the temps are supposed to drop and rain for the weekend...

So, my NE brethren, get ready for it next week again!

80 degrees?!!!!! That's it! I'm done !!!!!' Do you realize it's so cold here that my nipples are protruding through my very thick Carhartt coat?????

I'm sorry Griff.....you have been a very cool and friendly pal, but.......it's time for the hex!!!!----6 :D

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:There is a huge difference between climate and weather. I don't know what the weather will be next week, but I am pretty certain that it will be a wintery climate a year from today.

Not sure why everyone has such a hard time with this issue, but then I guess if it doesn't fit in your politically correct basket, it doesn't fit.

Thankfully, it won't be my kids or grandkids that get to live in a seriously screwed up world...
Where did that come from? :lol: What's hard to figure out about that "issue"? Computer models are not all that accurate. And what, pray tell, is "politically correct" about it?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Their supercomputers could not predict a storm path, but "science" claims to know the weather conditions a hundred years from now...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:

You just have to realize that while it is a 'trivial glitch' if we have a colder winter, or fewer storms during a decade, yet a single storm is 'clear evidence' of manmade climate change. Likewise, a hundred-year trend of two degrees, based on iffy measurements is 'hard evidence', yet a thousand-year trend based on glaciers and worldwide history of ten degrees, is 'coincidence'.

The retreating of the glaciers from Indiana to Greenland, before any industrial activity, was 'natural', but the last decade's couple of miles is a man-caused crisis.

Of course if you are a dis-believer, you are "for pollution" and "hate polar bears"... :roll:

I happen to LIKE the 'environment', and believe man should drastically curtail our pollution and waste, but when the weather is used by politicians to control the people, I cry foul...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I happen to LIKE the 'environment', and believe man should drastically curtail our pollution and waste, but when the weather is used by politicians to control the people, I cry foul...
:lol: I'll bet De-Blah-sio got a tingle up his leg when he shut down the city....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Somewhere, someone is blaming George Bush and SUV's for entire civilizations that are under ocean waters now. Global warming, ever since the last ice age. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30