OT - Farms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

OT - Farms

Post by paulyseggs »

I may have gone off the deep end!

I want to start a small livestock farm. Not looking to make a ton of money. just sick and tired of livin in the ratrace.

My father died when I was a teenager, he wasn't around much and I was raised by my mom. He left his "retirement" to my sister and I. It's just under 100acres down south. We've been leasing it out to a local farmer who does alittle corn and soy. Now I'm fairly young, 28 to be exact, and would love to jump into the buisness. I know alil about poultry and goats, we raise dogs (family buisness).

I'm lookin for a source of info that will lead me in the right direction. Suggestions are welcome too.

Mostly want to get into this because I love raising animals.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've heard it said that the fastest way to turn a large fortune into a small fortune is to go into farming.

When I was a kid farmers were usually well off. things have changed. I'm not meaning to bust your bubble, but I don't know if it's a good living.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Most people i know who own a farm.....its their second job
Most have cattle...or they are nursuries....growing plants
for the local landscape contractors....and some even lease the
land to hunters and farmers....
Nursuries are big business in florida
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

You might be able to do alright if you have some specialties. You already raise dogs. That's good. They don't need much land and you can make some decent coin if you have the right breeds. If you got poultry, there's omega-3 eggs that everyone wants, or free-range chickens.

We made our bucks raising beef cattle, but we had lots of land for hay and pastures (about 2,500 acres) so the margins were very high. Lost our shirts growing normal grains ... don't recommend it. The cattle kept us afloat.

Kirk
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

Thanks for the replies.

I know it'll be full time labor with part time pay.

I think if I wanna do this small organic/all natural animals would be the way to go. Either poultry, rabbits, pigs, goats, etc etc. I'm not really into the dog breeding. My mom and sister are big into that. To get the big money for the puppies you need to goto shows and that aint my gig. I refuse to prance around a ring with a little dog on a string!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

One approach may be niche market farming. It will take some careful research to identify the market but there are real possibilities.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Any of the ethanol grains and plants are doing pretty good right now because of the push to burn cleaner.

Organic from what I know is a pain. You have to have certified feed, certified conditions, etc..

Good luck on what ever you decide. The ratrace sucks and if I could jump ship I would.
Old Law Dawg
paulyseggs
Levergunner

ON the Ratrace

Post by paulyseggs »

I've just become disenchanted with the whole concept, take for example.... The other day I was told I wasn't "fast" enough at work. I'm a meatcutter, I do the best job I can do. Meanwhile the guy telling me to hurry up is missing a finger.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

TEXAS and SOUTHERWESTERN CATTLE RAISERS ASSOCIATION

http://www.thecattlemanmagazine.com/

I did some work with this groups Special Texas Rangers and the Association was one of the most helpful and informative organization I have come across. They will provide guidance and help regardless of where your property is.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

thanks 86r
Ysabel Kid

Re: Way OT, Farms

Post by Ysabel Kid »

paulyseggs wrote:I may have gone off the deep end!

I want to start a small livestock farm. Not looking to make a ton of money. just sick and tired of livin in the ratrace.

Mostly want to get into this because I love raising animals.
Let's see... you're young, don't like the rat race, and have an opportunity to do what you love (raising animals). Doesn't sound like "going off the deep end" to me. Sounds more like courage... go for it!!!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I don't know of anywhere in the country where a man could make a living stock farming 100 acres.

I have a lot of fun on 225, but I have to do something else to pay the bills.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Pauly, I am often humbled on the Leverguns forum by all that I don't know about Leverguns and guns in general. I am an expert in one area.
I have been a meatcutter for 35 years, and I have worked six days a week for 25 years. You are young, make a plan, study and take some buissiness courses if need be. but GET OUT :x while you can. Jim.
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

I think it's kind of funny that all my rancher/farmer friends talk about giving it up for a better life with a 9-5 job and most of my non-rancher/farmer friends dream of owning a ranch/farm. I think the grass is always a little greener on the other side of the fence.

But, I think you should do what makes you happy. At 28, you 've got time to do both....several times!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm not saying this is all you can do, or that it will pay all the bills. What I am saying is that you are young, and now is the time to chase your dreams before life's responsibilities really weigh you down.

I'm also saying that - from experience as I finish up my 20th year with the company I work for, if you can make it work, do something you enjoy. I guess I'm old school - a job is a job to me, and if it pays the bills and provides for my family, I don't feel that I need to enjoy it. Still, it would be a heck of a lot easier to wake up each morning if you were enthusiastic about what you were doing!
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

A woman on an archaeology dig with me once said, "I hope they don't ever find out that I'd do this for free."

I answered, "That's probably the best definition of 'success' that I've ever heard."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There is a "whole'nother" reason for owning a farm.

HUNTING RIGHTS

Public Land is getting scarce and lease rates are climbing throug the roof.

If the land has a good critter load, work diligently with your DNR/F&W guys to make it better.

Then hunt it yourself and lease out the ballance.

If you do it right, you can have quality game management on your property and still keep it "average joe" leaseable.

And you don't have to worry about feedlots/harvesting/what the CoOp pays for grain X.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

My brother-in-law sold everything and quit a well-paying professorship to move to the sticks of Kentucky and live off the land almost 5 years ago. He and his family are now homesteaders (not in the legal sense like in the old days, but the concept of living off the land like people used to do) and they love it. They don't make much money, but their needs are met and they are truly happy. More than once, I've considered doing the same thing.

They raise some of their own livestock (mostly poultry, goats, and one milk cow), a lot of their own vegetables, and are building their own house (the property they bought came with a trailer, which they are living in until the house is done), all debt free.

It is a very peaceful way of life, even if it cuts against the grain of our society and people think they are weird. I love visiting them and someday may join them!
45Spades
Levergunner

Post by 45Spades »

I make my living by lending money to farmers. Some farmers make a good living and some struggle. The difference between the two is often very simple.......The ones that make it can tell the difference between what they need and what they want.

If your willing it could work. Or you could lose everything you have ever made. There seems to be no middle ground in farming.

Bottom line is to stay in business you got to make enough money to pay the bills. The cheaper you live and farm the greater your chances for making it.

Good Luck.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Farms

Post by AJMD429 »

paulyseggs wrote: I want to start a small livestock farm. Not looking to make a ton of money. just sick and tired of livin in the ratrace.
I'm lookin for a source of info that will lead me in the right direction. Suggestions are welcome too.
Seek out and Subscribe to "Countryside and Small Stock Journal" - it has lots of PRACTICAL ideas for the 'starter' livestock like chickens, goats (meat and dairy) and of course horses and so on. Also for gardening, and all sorts of "off-the-grid" things you can do to save money and re-gain a sense of what life is REALLY all about.

I'm not kidding - this is the only magazine I've ever read I like more than my 'gun' magazines.

If you can't find it locally, go to http://www.countrysidemag.com/

I think you'll find it is just the ticket.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I only have 5 acres, so I can't call myself a farmer. I raise about 10 sheep a year and a few hogs. Also have a flock of hens.
I could not afford to farm in CT.
But one thing thats hard to find here is a clean honest slaughter house. Also if you could raise and sell specialty meats You may do ok. If you can cure and smoke hams and bacon, cut up deer after hours all the better.
What you need to think through is what can you do with out depending on purchaseing from others. (when I have to by hay lamb gets expensive)
Good luck,
Ed
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Pauly, Don't take what is said as negative just honest observations. When I first bought my 5 acres 27 years ago I bought every homesteading book I could find. I had Mother Earth News all the was back to volume #2. I got monthly mailings from Robert Rodale. I still would like to retire and live that life. As was said earlier Countryside and small Stock Journal is great. There is also "Backwoods Home Magazine" who has an editor who is libertarian and a great guy. There is "Backhome magazine" which is OK sometimes, and sometimes not. Mother Earth News still is out there. It's kind of like the old Mechanic Illustrated. There is also an outfit called Acres USA that is great. A custom meat processor would be a God send around here where I live. There are only two and they stay so back up you have to make an appointment ahead of time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

a meatcutter I work with gave me a dandy of an idea. Outfit a refrigerated trailer as a meat shop. U wack em I hack em!
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

Here in Iowa we have an extension service that helps get information on various ag related info out. It is tied in with the universities and experts in all fields. For a small operator the specialties area is a reality although some what labor intensive. If you love what you are doing and helped go the right RESEARCHED direction, it can work. As they say don't give up your day job right away.
As has been alluded to--it maters how much you spend to live :)
Dave
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Lots of good advise here and I also like the Countryside Magazine. Also lots of experienced folks here, including myself. I know my grandfather raised a family of four kids on a 75 acre cotton farm using mules, but you can not make anykind of living today on that amount of land. Least not growing anything legal. I have a small herd of cows (27) and a few horses and a profit is a rare thing any year. The recent droughts have resulted in negative money. Like most others, I make a living doing something else and live the life I enjoy on the farm.
Zack
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

FWIW,

I am city raised, hold a B.S. in Animal Science, have sold animal health products, worked about 3 yrs on various ranches and farms, and live in the country. So I'm no expert on the cow business. But, I can't afford to convert my 13 acres to ag exemption because I need to own 7 cows and 1 bull or 35 goats to qualify. i've got good enough credit AND local references that I could convince a bank to loan me the money to buy the livestock. That's not the problem. If EVERYTHING goes as planned and I get 7 calves every year, they wouldn't bring enough income to support the hay purchases, fence mending, vet bills, etc. Costs of operation would likely exceed the revenue. Of course, if the coyotes get 1-2 calves or the bull isn't fertile for just 1 year, then the financial picture is even worse. I just don't have a good vision of the dream because I still see ranching as a second income job, and not my primary income.

On the other hand, a good vision of the dream from my perspective is illustrated by an example. I recall reading about a guy who made his pot of gold in the computer industry. He decided to become a cow man in south Texas. His stocker calves owned for just a portion of each year were nothing but lawn mowers to him. He used a high intensity grazing system to run 345 stockers on 1000 acres--unheard of in south Texas! And he was very profitable. I have also read about custom meat cutters who come to the farm to custom process livestock for meat with great success. In this part of Texas, the slaughter houses will not assure you that the meat you pick is from the animal you brought in. Processing an animal from a known back ground becomes real important to people with strong beliefs about not consuming too many antibiotics, hormones, or other gross additives that man gives to animals in the name of quicker muscle growth.

There is a shortage of goat meat for the various religions that hold it in high regard. You wouldn't even need to raise goats to make money. you could be a facilitator that brings buyers and sellers together, or you could agree to deliver them for buyers that don't have good transportation equipment. you could agree to let people use your land so they could slaughter their own animal.

Don't let anyone keep you from becoming a farmer/rancher if that's what you want to do. But, go volunteer or do some hourly labor on someone else's farm/ranch to make sure you know what you are getting into.

You can make a good living on 100 acres, even an out standing living. Joel Salatin and his followers have proven it too many times. You just have to decide that it will be your primary income so you'll be forced to get real dedicated.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Try rabbits and worms. Believe it or not there is a commercial market for red worms. You can use the rabbit stuff to feed them. I had some literature a few years ago about worm farms, doesn't take a lot of room or hard work,and if I recall the money wasn't too bad either. There also seems to be a good market for rabbit meat.

Addendum: There is a fellow a couple mile up the road from me who raises bees. He rents the bees out to orchards, etc for pollination purposes. Last year he packed up a semi load of bees and went to California to the almond groves and rented out his bees. He also harvest the honey,combs, and the wax and sells them. In the hunting season he dresses out and butchers deer at the reasonable rate of $40.00 a head, he was so busy last year he had to start turning people away. He also sells fresh farm raised veggies in season.

Quail and pheasant raising for sale to the big city restaurants might be an idea. A friends father used to do this, he also sold the eggs to other hatcheries. Cornish hens might be a good deal.

If your farm has a pond or two, how about raising catfish for the market.

There are lots of things that can be done on 100 acres to make money, you probably won't get rich and you may just scratch by but your young and willing, you never know until you try.