Historic English Law:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Historic English Law:

Post by cshold »

Can you imagine something like this in todays politically correct world?

Historic English Law:
"All English males over the age of 14 are to carry out two hours of longbow practice every week, supervised by the local clergy. This law dates from the middle ages."
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Historic English Law:

Post by Booger Bill »

I never heard of that. If so, I like the idea. I suppose it was to keep a trained army to have a chance to survive as a nation. Isn't Sweden basically still like that?
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

Basically straight after Church. There is an amazing array of laws which never taken off the statute books:

Children will tell you Christmas mince pies are still banned in England, actually, some American colonies too.

I can still urinate on the back left wheel of my wagon on a public highway.

Public nudity is not illegal in New Zealand unless you are behaving in an offensive manner. So a neighbour complained about a neighbour painting his house naked, and police said- "and the problem is?"

Also there are still laws from the 15th century which dictate the style and colour of clothes for people in England.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Booger Bill wrote:I never heard of that. If so, I like the idea. I suppose it was to keep a trained army to have a chance to survive as a nation. Isn't Sweden basically still like that?

If you have a half hour, this is a very informative video on the history of the English long bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lTE0U2aoQ
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm guessin' that they've never heard of LGAS....................... (Lever Gun Aquisition Syndrome)

perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Back in the '60s, as a young graduate I worked in an industrial research station that had very extensive grounds and a group of us used to pracice with longbows most lunchtimes. One day someone said "There's a new girl in the electron microscopy section with truly fantastic legs!" We agreed that whoever won the archery contest that day won the right to ask her out first.
Well, we've now been married for 43 years. Haven't picked up a longbow since....

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

perry owens wrote:One day someone said "There's a new girl in the electron microscopy section with truly fantastic legs!" We agreed that whoever won the archery contest that day won the right to ask her out first.
Well, we've now been married for 43 years. Haven't picked up a longbow since....
Once you bagged your quarry-of-a-lifetime, why keep hunting...? 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

perry owens wrote:Back in the '60s, as a young graduate I worked in an industrial research station that had very extensive grounds and a group of us used to pracice with longbows most lunchtimes. One day someone said "There's a new girl in the electron microscopy section with truly fantastic legs!" We agreed that whoever won the archery contest that day won the right to ask her out first.

Perry Owens
"Longbows" and "fantastic legs"
Hummm! I know I have a pinup picture of just that in a file somewhere :)
Very cool story Perry 8)
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Around 2000 or 2001, I was told by an Englishman that it was still legal, to that day, for an Englishman to shoot a Welshman with a longbow within 100 yard of Yorkshire Cathedral.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

In the pre-Revolution Colonies, the Muster for the Militia generally occurred immediately after Church as all "able bodied and upright" men in the community were already assembled.

So... Bring your AR to Church. It's Tradition. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Ironsights wrote:In the pre-Revolution Colonies, the Muster for the Militia generally occurred immediately after Church as all "able bodied and upright" men in the community were already assembled.

I'm not sure about other mainline denominations, but it sure would violate the UMC rules.

"Therefore, every United Methodist church is officially declared a weapon-free zone."

ADOPTED 2000
READOPTED 2008
Resolution #5011, 2008 Book of Resolutions
Resolution #241, 2004 Book of Resolutions
Resolution #227, 2000 Book of Resolutionst would violate the UMC rules.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
perry owens wrote:One day someone said "There's a new girl in the electron microscopy section with truly fantastic legs!" We agreed that whoever won the archery contest that day won the right to ask her out first.
Once you bagged your quarry-of-a-lifetime, why keep hunting...? 8)
+1 :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

casastahle wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:In the pre-Revolution Colonies, the Muster for the Militia generally occurred immediately after Church as all "able bodied and upright" men in the community were already assembled.

I'm not sure about other mainline denominations, but it sure would violate the UMC rules.

"Therefore, every United Methodist church is officially declared a weapon-free zone."

ADOPTED 2000
READOPTED 2008
Day my church says that is the day I leave it for good...
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Rules like that make those churches a prime spot for another religious group to show up unexpectedly, loaded down with explosive shirts.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

perry owens wrote:Back in the '60s, as a young graduate I worked in an industrial research station that had very extensive grounds and a group of us used to pracice with longbows most lunchtimes. One day someone said "There's a new girl in the electron microscopy section with truly fantastic legs!" We agreed that whoever won the archery contest that day won the right to ask her out first.

Perry Owens
:D :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
casastahle wrote:

ADOPTED 2000
READOPTED 2008
YK it's closer than you realize. :|

http://southernorderspage.blogspot.com/ ... e.html?m=1
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
casastahle wrote:

ADOPTED 2000
READOPTED 2008
Bear in mind the UMC Book of Resolutions has no power nor authority to mandate or prohibit anything. It is just some expressions of thinking passed by the few people still left on the last day of General Conference. In others words they are meaningless.

The UMC Book of Discipline is another thing altogether. It contains the rules and regulations by which all UMC Churches operate and there is no gun free nonsense in it. Whether or not guns are allowed inside the church is a decision made by each local church and pastor in accordance with state law.

In Texas the Conceded Handgun laws, prohibit the carrying of concealed handguns inside a church without out express permission of the church authority. I am now retired, but when a UMC Pastor, I freely gave blanket permission for Texas CHL holders to carry in the building. I sure as hell did!

I now attend an Episcopal church and our Rector is a gun guy who carries in church. I once asked him if he had any objection to me carrying a gun in church. His answer was "Hell no, we can get them in a cross fire".
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Booger Bill wrote:I never heard of that. If so, I like the idea. I suppose it was to keep a trained army to have a chance to survive as a nation. Isn't Sweden basically still like that?

I don't know about Sweden, but Switzerland still does it that way. 8)
Merle from PA
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My pastor told me several years ago not to come to church with out carrying. I told him when we started there in 2003 that I carried and he said fine, after the preacher was killed one Sunday morning in Illinois he made sure that I carried and another man also. He usually has one or two CCW classes a year at our church camp open to the public. We are a AV1611 KJV church.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"Day my church says that is the day I leave it for good..."

Bespeaks a great faith in the tenets of your religion.