Quickest, safest way to clean brass (perhaps)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Quickest, safest way to clean brass (perhaps)

Post by JohndeFresno »

I recently received a lot of free range brass. Some of the stuff is pretty grody, but then again if it doesn't have major dings or corrosion - as revealed after it is cleaned up - it's good for inexpensive low pressure plinking loads.

Which brings me to the topic, since several different cartridge calibers were represented. How to clean it all up in one day?

- Tumbling or vibrating takes HOURS. Several runs are necessary: For instance, 9mm's are in a different run than the .45 ACP's, among other things, or some of the smaller cases get nested in the larger ones and are not completely cleaned

- That routine with pins seems to me to be messy and prone to spills, and the equipment and media are costly - never went there.

- The vinegar and related soaking formulas are quicker but can degrade the metal unless you go through a second rinse cycle with baking soda or something, and then another rinse or two with water and drying. Busy work.

So - given all of the super technology at our disposal these days, and inexpensive non-brand name equipment like the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner, I am surprised that nobody here has come up with this solution. Or me, for that matter.

I ran an 8 minute cycle with the Harbor Freight ultrasonic device using some Hornady One Shot solution that I've saved from previous cycles. FYI, I have drained it off and reused it several times and it is still effective. Ultra cheap that way, and I believe it is less damaging to the brass when used properly and duly diluted per the instructions.

Then, clear water rinse and the hair dryer bit. I noted that the water stayed in some of the small case mouths (because of surface tension), and the brass was starting to spot. Too much trouble to do the Q-Tip thing for the large amount of cases received, and in this cold weather I couldn't see putting the stuff in the oven and running up my 'lectric bill.

The shaker - "RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner" was the answer. After shaking the cases a bit in a strainer with a paper towel at the bottom, I put them into the vibrator with its cheap (pet store) corn cob media. with a touch of non-ammonia polish stuff (take your pick) for 15 minutes.

Cases are now in great shape, and I didn't have to deprime them to get them clean inside, due to the ultrasonic treatment.

So from now on, especially if some brass is grungy, for me it will be:
Ultrasonic w/ diluted Hornady One Shot cleaner - 8 minutes,
Rinse,
Drain on a towel in a colander,
Vibrating cleaner about 15 minutes to ensure brass is dry.
Time spent: Less than 30 minutes, instead of hours.

Veddy Heppy.

Here is an earlier link about that ultrasonic device. What a great time and work saver.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ultrasonic

I have noted some comments in the past, to the effect that cleaning your brass is a waste of time. Well, as I see it, that is the best way to allow you to spot problematic cartridges - where erosion spots can be clearly seen that would weaken the cartridge.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Quickest, safest way to clean brass (perhaps)

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I've been cleaning my de-primed brass via loading them into a pillowcase, then running the case though a clothes washing machine with household detergent along with a load of towels for cushioning.

While the method doesn't result in shiney brass, the brass IS clean & shootable.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Pete44ru wrote:...I've been cleaning my de-primed brass via loading them into a pillowcase, then running the case though a clothes washing machine ...
I remember you mentioning that before. That seems like an interesting workaround! How do you keep 'em from flying out during the various cycles?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:...I've been cleaning my de-primed brass via loading them into a pillowcase, then running the case though a clothes washing machine ...
I remember you mentioning that before. That seems like an interesting workaround! How do you keep 'em from flying out during the various cycles?

He hides in the washing machine with them so his wife doesn't find out. :D
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

The vinegar,water, soap and salt mix works really well, but I found a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge, so I tried soaking my brass in that. Its the easiest way of cleaning brass I have found. Stainless steel pot, add the brass, and leave it sit till the brass is clean. quick rinse and then into the oven at 250 for 20min to dry.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, I'm very anal about nice clean and polished brass. Don't matter how yo do it.....whatever floats your boat.

I have four vibrators.....always corn cob media....with a teaspoon of Brasso added. When the media gets black, about a year later, I dump it in a 5 gal bucket and soak it in a cup of Tide.....rinse.....dry on a big piece of cardboard.......lasts for years.

When mixing different calibers, I make sure I dont mix two where one caliber will slip in the case of another, you know.........9mm's and 45 autos....its why I have 4 vibrators.

If you clean after each shooting, it only takes an hour for the cases to come up nice and shiney.---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

For grungy range brass I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with hot water and toilet bowl cleaner. Stir it around and let it sit, repeat a few times. Rinse brass and then put it out on an old towel next to the wood stove. It will come out clean, but if you want it polished it will need to go into the vibrator. Just beware that you might loose some brass to marauding cats!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JohndeFresno wrote:
I tie the mouth of the pillowcase into a simple overhand knot - and, YES, I only use the washing machine when my wife's out of the house :mrgreen: playing in one of her leagues (bowling, cards, etc) gives me a couple of hours to do my dirty deeds.

The only risk is grave bodily harm, if she comes home early, for whatever reason. ;)

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Pete44ru wrote:.

FWIW, I've been cleaning my de-primed brass via loading them into a pillowcase, then running the case though a clothes washing machine with household detergent along with a load of towels for cushioning.

While the method doesn't result in shiney brass, the brass IS clean & shootable.

Plus it leaves your brass "Sunshine Fresh" and if you put a bit of Snuggle in the final rinse, your brass will be soft and comfy...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Usually two cycles in the Harbor Frieght machine with the Hornady cleaning solution will get mine clean enough, not shiny, but clean, then I put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the 200 degree oven for about 15 min to get all the moisture out.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've got a brand new Sonic machine my so bought... unused, as neither of us have decided on a solution to use. And... :( I haven't read the directions. :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:I've got a brand new Sonic machine my so bought... unused, as neither of us have decided on a solution to use. And... :( I haven't read the directions. :P :P
Griff, WORDS TO THE WISE: I started up mine without reading the directions, too. My first time, I turned on the heater and ran it - and started melting the little plastic tray that sits on the bottom. A duuh moment. Cleanup on the stainless steel beneath it was a bit problematic.

If you use a smaller tub with the solution as I do - so that you don't have to clean out the inside of the tank, MAKE SURE that you fill the sonic cleaner with water, then put the container with the solution inside that with the cases! And by the way, even plain water will do a lot of work. Distilled is best to avoid mineral deposits. I swear by the diluted Hornady One Shot Cleaner, and it lasts several cleanings, so it is actually quite inexpensive. 8 minutes, 16 minutes tops, will do the job.

If it comes with a heater, use it.

Okay, you have your instructions. Make sure to rinse and dry the shells so that the agent doesn't continue working on the casings and to avoid spotting or corrosion.

Ted, if it only takes 15 min. at that temperature, that might just be the easiest solution. With my .45 ACP casings, unless I dried them pretty thoroughly, there was caked up corn cob inside several of them. I'll try your idea next.

The vibrator is nice for light cleaning (relatively clean brass) as Sixgun suggested, just running it and coming back to it later. But I like the sonic solution for stubborn brass.

Thanks for all of the great input, folks. Something here that should work for everybody.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Just checked my stores, and discovered that I have now cleaned all of my really dirty brass. Like Sixgun, I generally clean it before putting it back on the shelves. So unfortunately I can't test and photograph some really dirty brass for a follow-up experiment. Maybe somebody here - Griff? - can try out this "new" combination method of cleaning really fouled brass:

1) Ultrasonic w/ diluted Hornady One Shot Cleaner* - 8 minutes
2) Rinse twice with warm water
3) Drain, shake on a towel in an old colander
4) Oven dry on cookie sheet, 200 degrees for 15 minutes
If high sheen is desired, like for swapping brass with others -
5) Vibrate/tumble about 15 minutes in media with non-ammonia polish stuff and/or Bounce cloths

* 40 parts water to 1 part cleaner

Time spent: Less than 45 minutes, instead of hours

This represents several steps, but for me (at least) free time seems to always be crowded out with interruptions and unexpected events, so this seems to be the best time saver (other than getting in trouble with my sweetheart for dinging up her washing machine).
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I book-marked this thread, I'll give it a shot after my next BP shooting session. And it warms up a bit... I just spent two hours out in the barn, pulling down some loads that I hadn't marked with various bullets and reloading some "bench rest" type handloads for sighting and then chronographing 'em out of my new '73 45Colt rifle. Took about 200 bullets to get 50 that all weighed the same (190.0 grains) and measured loads for 6.3 RedDot for testing that rifle. Still only have two rounds thru it. Should have done this yesterday, as it was over 50 and no wind, today is 34 and a north wind. Yeah, I know, for you northern boys that's fair weather... but for me... NOT!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK, this brass isn't all that dirty, but some used .30-30 brass was run through the process.

What was not expected:
After cleaning, rinsing thoroughly, draining and shaking the longish cases, there was apparently still enough water in them to form a puddle in some pie tins holding the batch in the oven. Yes, they were laid out flat; none were standing up. That was 200 degrees at 15 minutes.

I transferred the lot to a pizza pan (shown below) and went another 15 minutes. So it took me a total 30 minutes for them to dry, and that was after I dumped a goodly amount of water out after the first 15 minutes. Energy-wise, that is co$tly. Perhaps the wife's hair dryer or a pillow case ride in the dryer is better these cold winter months.

By the way, if anybody has been encouraged to go to Harbor Freight or shop it online:
Harbor Freight still offers these great "Chicago" brand Chinee brand ultrasonic cleaners. You can find them on the 'net. But they have more than one. One should purchase the 2.5 Liter one for $84.99 with the timer presets for up to 8 minutes and its built in heater, not the smaller one with its limited features that sells for $34.99.

Note: One casing, the darker one towards the center of the photo, was thrown in after this process. It didn't get the benefit of the ultrasonic treatment.

...So, I could state the obvious but y'all can see the steps. For really large batches, the oven trick would work, but at least with the longer shells (like rifle shells versus the shorter handgun shells), one has to cook 'em for 30 minutes. That's a lot of electricity or gas expended, there.

I would guess that an electric hair dryer would cost less in energy resources, and I have used that before, working over the shells for about 15 minutes or so.

Perhaps the easiest way is to just set the brass mouth-down and let it drain thoroughly after the rinse, then come back to the project a few hours later and use the vibrator for 15 minutes to put that nice shine on the dry brass.

This process still took less than an hour, which is pretty important to me.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Cool post. i may have to give this a whirl! :D
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

I was going to say Brasso, but never mind :wink: ....
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

UncleBuck wrote:I was going to say Brasso, but never mind :wink: ....
That always brings back memories of Basic Training!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I'm not afraid of my wife, but I bought a used washing machine for @20 and use it for brass & other nasty, filthy stuff.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I throw my de-primed brass in the dish washer in the silverware containers the throw them in the oven till dry. That was my routine for years now I have a tumbler that I use after the trip though the dishwasher.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

2571 wrote:
I'm not afraid of my wife, but I bought a used washing machine for @20 and use it for brass & other nasty, filthy stuff.

I'm not, either - but after 50 years, I just don't want to "hear" it anymore.

(When Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy)
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

JohndeFresno wrote: - Tumbling or vibrating takes HOURS.
Yeah, but much like my washing machine, it's not like I'm standing there watching it all that time. :D
Slow is just slow.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I still use the mix that Kirk sent to me several years ago. It will do a good job on the brass and I rinse the brass under hot water then spread them out on a towel to dry.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I sonic clean in a Lyman unit for 30-60 minutes rinse in fresh tap water and let air dry for a day or two .

I got past polishing a few years back .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Midway has/d that sonic cleaner on sale in the quart size for ~$15... and a gallon was $61! I have FOUR QUARTS COMIN'!! :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I freshened my tumbler media up with some turtle wax. My brass was sparkling clean within 2 hours. My wife does get irritated when I clean brass. I have grown particularly fond of one of her collanders that does an excellent job sifting the media from the brass.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Given Midway's product quality, AND if that larger sonic unit has 2 minute variable settings up to 8 minutes with a heater (like the Harbor Freight "Chicago" model), that sounds like a great deal.

If Turtle Wax is ammonia free, I wouldn't hesitate to use that if my Lee or Lyman's stuff ever ran out.

Another great suggestion from somebody on this site - a Bounce sheet cut in quarters inside the tumbler or vibrator - has done a good job catching the impurities of tarnished brass. One sheet each session.

FYI, the Chicago brand sonic cleaner is an exact copy, or maybe even a remarketed, Lyman Turbo 2500 Sonic Cleaner sold at Midway and elsewhere.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Did my (son actually did the mixing & such, while I deprimed a bunch of .223 brass), first batch of brass in the Sonic Cleaner. We used distilled water & the Hornady "OneShot Cleaner". We just dumped the solution in the cleaner, no smaller container, as it was a goodly amount of brass. Seemed to be working well... until I dropped in about 20 cases that still had the spent primer in them. :oops:

Result: pink 'brass'. It seems the tin was leached out. I think.

The majority was vastly improved. But, not shiny. I think we'll tumble them tomorrow.

I have a batch of .40-90SBN cases that were fired with BP, washed in a dishsoap solution and then tumbled about 2 years ago.

Tomorrow, while the cases done today are tumbling, I'll put these thru a clean solution session in the sonic cleaner and see how they look. As you can see from the pic above, the .40-90 cases have a LOT of carbon still inside the case and the primer pocket. We'll see how they turn out.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:...20 cases that still had the spent primer in them...pink 'brass'. It seems the tin was leached out. I think...
OK, Stumped on this one!

1) That is why I got away from the vinegar and... etc. recipes - to avoid pink brass with metals leached out! It doesn't happen to me.

2) Maybe the interaction of the bare metal tank and the formula?? I use a plastic Cool Whip carton to hold the cases, as noted. - ???

3) Did you make the formula only 1 part Hornady to 40 parts distilled water - and then rinse them thoroughly twice or three times immediately after?

As depicted in my entry above - I did mine with the spent primers intact, also. But there were no ill effects.

What went wrong?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd almost say that it may have been too much cleaner... but the brass that turned pink was the brass that was in the solution the shortest amount of time... I'm stumped also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff,

Perhaps those pink ones were the dirtiest and so some type of metallic material was already eroding a bit.

When I used to apply the vinegar and water (and lemon juice? can't remember right now) formula, some brass, I think the really dirty brass, ended up with a pink hue. Per the instructions from others, I rinse, dried, and then vibrated them in corncob media with media polish (your choice as long as it doesn't have ammonia).

That restored the shiny brass look.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They'll go into the tumbler (Dillon vibratory type) today along with the others... but maybe I found the culprit... 2 steel .223 cases were in there... got dumped in with the last few cases. Could have been some reaction with whatever they coat those steel cases with. They're now in the trash...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I seem to recall that Lee's book recommends NOT making the shiney. Seems they go through the dies a little better that way. I'll put a load in the viberator with Hornady walnut "stuff" and go to the store. Pull them out one at a time, clean the primer pocket with little hand-held device, and that's pretty much it....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote:I seem to recall that Lee's book recommends NOT making the shiney...
Researched this, Blaine. Here it is.

Modern Reloading, Richard Lee, First Edition, also specifically:
Modern Reloading, Richard Lee, Second Edition, Chapter 4 (Loading for Handguns, subtopic Case Sizing)
Page 71
"Carbide dies usually eliminate the need to lubricate the cases. There are exceptions. If cases are excessively clean, some of the brass will rub off on the carbide. The dirt, soot, oxides and oil on the case keep the case from galling the carbide. None of the foreign matter on the brass case is hard enough to damage the carbide die. If you clean your cases in a vibrator with fresh media, you may need a slight amount of lube. Even a very light spray of furniture polish will work. Lubricating your cases with Lee sizing lube as it comes from the tube is gross overkill. Dilute it with 10 parts water or even better use rubbing alcohol. Apply this thin mixture with a spray bottle, available at most department stores."

So... yes, he said it, and I see that a portion of the above has been incorrectly quoted a few places on the Internet (gun sites); because they leave out the second part - If you clean your cases in a vibrator with fresh media, you may need a slight amount of lube. Even a very light spray of furniture polish will work.

In other words, Mr. Lee says that, vibrating the cases bone dry is not OK, but vibrating with polish, is OK. I would add, "as long as it doesn't contain ammonia, of course."

But I, for one, am glad that you (Blaine) brought this up. I need to rethink using my ultrasonic cleaning technique for pistol bullets where a carbide sizer is used. They should be tumbled with polish, even if just briefly, or sprayed, or otherwise have a thin coating of something to keep the dies clean.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I went and bought some more distilled water... better measuring devices and started in on about 75 .40-90SBN cases this afternoon. All new solution. Spend the better part of the afternoon out in the reloading shop... watching water heat up... and the solution become so cloudy that you couldn't even see the brass, stacked 3 deep!

Now, in all honesty, this brass is about 20 years old, and the last time it was shot was in 2008! It was soaked in a hot water & dishsoap solution, dried, then tumbled. The outside was clean, but the insides were flatly caked on soot!

After about 2 hours of soak, agitation & heat in the sonic cleaner... they were little better. Not quite "new" looking yet! Actually, they're looking a lot like 20 year old cases with erratic soot stains throughout! Even the primer pockets still have soot caked on... Now, again, to be truthful, the sides of the primer pockets are sparkling clean... but the bottom is still caked soot! Well... it appears as tho' it's starting to lift. So, maybe soaking a little longer (like overnite) will get it to lift out!

These cases were $1.25/ea 20 years ago... today they run $2.96/ea... so this better not ruin my good ones!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

In fact, after thinking about it... I'd better go out and take the brass out of the solution.

Edited: brass is rinsed and in the oven drying.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff,

I don't have any relics like that, but I have cleaned some really grody range brass. The most time needed was two 8 minute cycles, with heat - 16 minutes. 2 hours - ?

I don't want to ask if you plugged the thing in, 'cause bad things might happen to me...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, you're lucky I can only do 1,000 miles in CA a year... you're kinda tucked outta the way there!

These are a mixture of cases I've had for a long time... They've been shot with both BP & smokeless, tho' not at the same time! :twisted: :twisted:

Pics to follow after drying!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks good from this distance: (but you can see a few with stained necks still)

Most look like the one on the right:

Inside the necks:
Still a bit of crud!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Based on second-hand information, only, of how pervasive black powder stains are, those look dandy to me!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,

If you read the ingredients of Hornady One Shot, I believe the main stuff is citric acid. Soap makers use it, comes in a powdered form, and I bought some. Or just look on google to find some. figured out the concentration and make my own for pennies on the dollar. In case anyone is as cheap as me :D

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Bronco wrote:...Hornady One Shot, I believe the main stuff is citric acid. Soap makers use it, comes in a powdered form...
Good info! :idea:
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

After cleaning .. I rinse in a weak baking soda solution of water to make sure I neutralize the acid!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... ss-cleaner

I have been cleaning my brass this way since 2010, followed by tumbling in ground Walnut .

I bought a pound of citric acid powder back then and I doubt if I have used 4 oz., i shoot a lot year round.

The solution is reusable

----------- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

OK - here is my breakdown; for me it was simple just to buy a quart of Hornady One Shot Ultrasonic Cleaner.

If you purchase one now and put it into a shipment large enough where shipping is free, or get it at a store at this price, the going price now is $15.33.

I use 1/2 oz. to 20 ounces of distilled water, and can use it around 5 times (reusing it).
So, my math says that it furnishes 64 applications for a quart container X 5 uses, or 320 washes for $15.33.

It might be that getting some citric powder is cheaper; but for me it works just to order the stuff online. I have not gotten anywhere near the bottom of my first One Shot purchase, yet, since I don't need to use it all the time.

$15.33 for 320 washes (20 oz. of solution) works out to less than a nickel a wash!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... my experiment didn't turn out half bad... after fussin' and fightin' my way thru it. As I stated, I took 68 old cases, that had been shot many times with both smokeless and black powder, and only tumble cleaned in a couple of different vibratory tumblers... not the rotary kind... Which was the first one I ever owned... and quickly dispensed with... as it was small, slow, and well... old when I got it!

I guess I expected better results... but, after all is said and done, I've very satisfied. Going forward, I will probably include a sonic bath with all my BP rounds... as I do see a vast improvement over just soaking and minimal agitation by hand. The buildup of crud inside the cases is much diminished, even if not shiny bright!

These were all "45 Basic" brass that was cut to length and formed into .40-90SBN. I think all together I have 180 cases, enough to have fired 3 relays at the BPCRS Nationals plus sighters and 3 banks of ten for a tie breaker in '91. But, not a single one more... as I didn't get to shoot in the final 4 banks to determine 3rd place... So I think my trophy sez "7th", sorta like last in my mind! But there were quite a number behind me! Sorta like runnin' outta powder during an indian raid!

The outside of the cases is a vast improvement, with only 3 cases still showing any signs of staining... So after tumbling an unknown number of hours several years ago, they sat in an old plastic coffee can... the went thru a coupla hours of sonic batch, and no 4 more hours in walnut media, with some Cabela's case polish.

Still "dirty" inside, but no caked on crud from previous firings and rather clean necks.

Three headstamps... er, TWO. CSA and HDS and several unstamped I found in a gun shop in CA... I used to have about 40 of these, being as I bought 2 boxes. After running them over the RCBS Case Prep Center, you can see the primer pockets have all the crud removed, ready for new ones. I still need to size, check case length, but they're pretty much ready to load. Next time I load any, I'm going to use the Swiss 1-½ I have, and chrony them against the new Betram cases I have.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Great posts, Griff. It is gratifying to know that this solution works so well for black powder casings.

No you have me wondering if it would save a lot of trouble to place a BP six-shooter on its back - grip up and barrel down - half immersed in a sonic cleaner (along with the removed cylinder) for a while after shooting. That is, instead of the dishwasher treatment or bilin' the pore ole thing.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

JohndeFresno wrote:Great posts, Griff. It is gratifying to know that this solution works so well for black powder casings.

No you have me wondering if it would save a lot of trouble to place a BP six-shooter on its back - grip up and barrel down - half immersed in a sonic cleaner (along with the removed cylinder) for a while after shooting. That is, instead of the dishwasher treatment or bilin' the pore ole thing.
I have a 3 litre heated ultrasonic bath that I use to clean my stainless Ruger Old Armys. I remove the cylinder and grips and prop up the gun on it's back with just the barrel, top strap and hammer immersed. The cylinder goes in as-is without removing the nipples. I add 5ml of Micro laboratory instrument cleaner and run at 40 degrees C for 20 minutes. Not a speck of BP fouling is left anywhere.
Not sure if you could do this with a blued gun.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I put my 1851 (blued) in the dishwasher once... and it ate off most of the bluing... now I just run it under hot tap water and rinse any fouling out... then dry and re-oil it up. In the 20 years since the dishwasher incident... this is my method, and as it works, I ain't trying to fix it! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!