antique Kitchen Cook Stove/oven ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

antique Kitchen Cook Stove/oven ?

Post by cshold »

Back in the day when most every home kitchen had a stove similar to this one, what was the predominant fuel of choice? Wood or coal? Any of you guys ever do a stove restoration?

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: antique Kitchen Cook Stove/oven ?

Post by Rusty »

I think it depends on where you lived. Country folks used wood burning stoves because wood was there for the cutting. City folks could have a load of coal delivered. A lot of city folks had coal bins in the basement. Stoves were also labeled for wood only except osage orange.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
magyars
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars »

Nice find.
My primary heat source is a wood stove and I have been looking for a good Cook stove for about 2 years now.
they are either way too expensive for me or too run down and beat up to put in the kitchen.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Rusty wrote:I think it depends on where you lived. Country folks used wood burning stoves because wood was there for the cutting. City folks could have a load of coal delivered. A lot of city folks had coal bins in the basement. Stoves were also labeled for wood only except osage orange.
What I think of when I hear the words Osage Orange wood. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rusty wrote:I think it depends on where you lived. Country folks used wood burning stoves because wood was there for the cutting. City folks could have a load of coal delivered. A lot of city folks had coal bins in the basement. Stoves were also labeled for wood only except osage orange.
This. My grandmother & a couple of my aunts never had anything but wood stoves back in east TN. When grandma came to live with in CA, she insisted on doin' all the cooking! She loved the gas range & oven. 'Lectric refrigerator & lights were a constant joy. Didn't much care for TV, except "Gunsmoke" and whenever the "Grand Ol' Opry" appeared!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

We had one of those, back when I was in High School (ca.1959) - but ours had a heater on one side (the only heat source for our home at the time), and ran on kerosene (gravity-fed), which I had the twice-daily chore (in cold weather) of filling, then lugging :roll: , a feeder-canful from the basement to our 2nd flr suburban apartment.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

All I ever saw used was wood, even where coal was available. I assumed it was because the coal would get too hot and warp the metal and also impart undesirable flavors to the food.

I have my wife's grandfather's three-burner kerosene stove and a large supply of wicks. I plan on using it outdoors or in the shop for canning, etc. and so forth.

I would dearly love to find a decent wood-fired kitchen range.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have a wood burning kitchen range in storage. It needs a little work, but I think other than repairing the water tank, should be OK. No room in current place at the moment, was planning on putting it in my next cabin,....which plan has been changed. It may end up being an outdoor/summer/porch stove.

Interested to see what you end up with as a stove, or do you own the one in the picture?

I suggest installing an extra damper in the pipe for unexepected windy conditions (if you use it once in 5 years it was worth having), and keeping a LARGE fire extringuisher (or several) on hand. Had a freind whose kitchen stove ran away from him and had a chimney fire. His fire extinguisher wasnt large enough to deal with it. Fire dept got there in time. Could have been disastrous though.

Heres my stove, on the porch of an old place I used to live.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

have one like it at the cabin. has the warmer above. makes the best food.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Malamute wrote:I have a wood burning kitchen range in storage. It needs a little work, but I think other than repairing the water tank, should be OK. No room in current place at the moment, was planning on putting it in my next cabin,....which plan has been changed. It may end up being an outdoor/summer/porch stove.

Interested to see what you end up with as a stove, or do you own the one in the picture?

I suggest installing an extra damper in the pipe for unexepected windy conditions (if you use it once in 5 years it was worth having), and keeping a LARGE fire extringuisher (or several) on hand. Had a freind whose kitchen stove ran away from him and had a chimney fire. His fire extinguisher wasnt large enough to deal with it. Fire dept got there in time. Could have been disastrous though.

Heres my stove, on the porch of an old place I used to live.

"do you own the one in the picture?" No, kind of what I'm looking for.
One like yours is exactly what I'm looking for. (my favorite colors as well) 8)
Is yours a 'Majestic' brand stove :?:
Thanks for posting that picture Malamute.
If you have other pictures and model details please PM me, thanks. :)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have one at camp that is in a leanto built on the side of the cabin, they used to be plentiful and cheap up here but in the past ten years they have been become rather scarce. It would turn the <400 sq ft cabin into a sauna if it were indoors.

Eric
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You can still buy them brand new but at a hefty price. Check with some of the companies that sell to the Amish. Lehman's comes to mind first of all.

https://www.lehmans.com/c-171-appliances.aspx
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Living in Iowa, my grandmother burned corncobs in her kitchen stove all the time. Being a farmers wife,there was a plentiful supply. :wink:
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I think mine is a copper clad. Use silver maple a lot, easy to split, easy to start, quick to burn, so don't have long lasting embers or over heat. If winter and cold, can burn ash or oak or whatever. (box elder about same as silver maple too)

Corn cobs good to start fire with that is for sure.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

My Grandmother used one untill she passed in 1984 @ 99 years old. They had a coal bin but they mainly used wood in it. It was the only cook stove and she could sure use it.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I remember my Grandfather and one of his brothers breaking one up with a sledge in there parents house to make room for the new kerosene stove. I also remember it was in really nice shape. My great Aunt lived there then and got indoor plumbing the same time. Gramp said when his Mother was alive she had another stove under a shed roof outside for a summer kitchen.
Makes me wonder what life will be like in 50 years ?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Growing up we used all wood, the kitchen cook stove got hauled out on the porch in the summer
it was also our hot water heater, I was bout 7 when we moved to a house with running water &
a inside bath room still had to pack in fire wood though
nice pictures guys!!!

ollogger
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

casastahle wrote: "do you own the one in the picture?" No, kind of what I'm looking for.
One like yours is exactly what I'm looking for. (my favorite colors as well) 8)
Is yours a 'Majestic' brand stove :?:
Thanks for posting that picture Malamute.
If you have other pictures and model details please PM me, thanks. :)
I dont recall the brand, but I dont believe its a Majestic. Its been packed away in storage for a while, I've been thinking of dragging it out and setting it up on my porch. If I do, I'll get some more pics.

I also have an old Norge gas range, it looks somewhat like a late woodburner kitchen range, and is the color of the first pic in this thread. Its more practical for inside, though if I had the room, both would be cool.

The woodburner will likely be an outdoor stove though. Been thinking of a gazebo of some sort. Yellowstone Traditions does some amazing houses. They have pics of a couple of gazebos on their projects page of their site. Exteriors, 5 clicks down, right hand pic, and all the way to the bottom, left pic. I have more pics of them in books. Their building style is amazing though. Mine wouldnt be quite as ambitious size wise, but love the style. Something semi-wind resistant, great views, can cook outside out of wind and rain, sit by a fire at night, maybe sleep outside some.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Disregard part of my PM message Malamute.
I read your PM before I saw this post :wink:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

We used wood up here, and even in places with coal (we used to burn coal for heat - we just picked it up off of the beach) most people up here still burned wood in a cookstove.

A wood cookstove makes the best bread ever. It is how my mom cooked when I was growing up. This was mid-'70s through the '80s. It is a bit more work to keep temps where you want them, but there are really great things about those stoves too, that we have lost with gas burners and electric stoves.

My dad has restored a number of wood cookstoves, and is always grabbing parts and stoves when he can find them; if you have any questions, I can ask him. Some people add gas to them for convenience, but there is something about wood . . .
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

7.62 Precision wrote: My dad has restored a number of wood cookstoves, and is always grabbing parts and stoves when he can find them; if you have any questions, I can ask him. Some people add gas to them for convenience, but there is something about wood . . .

Mine needs the water tank rebuilt, though I think thats going to be a matter of getting with the local sheet metal shop. Will keep your dad in mind if I need help when I get mine out and try it out.