looking for a bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

looking for a bullet

Post by JReed »

Was wondering if any of you all could help me out. I am looking for a source for Saeco .459 480gr semi-spitzer. I would like to buy 50 count to do some testing with my rolling block and it archaic 1:22 twist. It should work according to some of the twist calculators out there. Thanks folks.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: looking for a bullet

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well duh... I looked there and skimmed right over it. Maybe its time for me to get reading glasses haha. Thanks Harry :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sent you a PM.
NRA Life Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I needed some over size 45 bullets for my Danish roller. It slugs .461 and has a very slow twist so I took a 300 grain mold that throws .458 and honed it out to .461 or a half a thousandths more. I took a bullet from the mold, drilled a blind hole about .250 deep and JBd a drill blank in it. Coated the bullet with grinding compound and hooked it up to an air drill. Just kept adding compound and oil 'till I got the size about right. Cleaned it up and cast a few that turned out to be the size I wanted. I shoot them as cast and pan lubed. I drop tube the ffg in and put a Circle Fly wad on top and compress about .125 inch. I just hand seated the bullets and was amazed at the accuracy I got. Way better than anything else I had tried. Sorry, I forget what the mold number is. I can still size the bullets .458 or .459 to use in my 45-90 or 45-70 so it didn't hurt the mold any.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
magyars
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars »

If you strike out else where I have .459, 430 gr Spitzer w/ GC....a couple-300 hundred or so.
Regards & Merry Christmas!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

M.M. Wright thankfully mine slugs right at .458 guess Remington kept tighter barrels the Springfield. I had read some where that the 45 Danish had a .460 groove dia.

I am just experimenting with this ole girl. Trying to find the heaviest bullet that will stabilize out past 500 yards so when I move back out west here in a bit over a year I can hopefully take it out to the Friends of Billy Dixon range that Cowboy Tutt rages about.

Magyars unfortunatly gas checks aren't what I am after. I do appreceat the offer but this is a bp gun so I need full diameter bases on the bullet. But your offer is most generous.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis