Two guns that no serious outdoorsman should be without.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Two guns that no serious outdoorsman should be without.

Post by ScottT »

First, the Marlin Guide Gun. It is powerful and efficient. It can take on anything from small game to the biggest game on this continent. I think that this should be the official assault rifle of the redneck brigades.

It can deliver a devastating blow up close with an instant follow up shot. Factory 405gr Remington loads will do all that needs doing, but you can get some serious power from Randy Garrett's custom loads. From zero to 200yds, this gun and ammo combination is all anyone really needs.

You can even mount a scope (GASP!) on it if you need to. Fast, accurate, powerful and awfully handy......that is the Marlin Guide Gun.

No, I don't own one, but I should.

Second, the Ruger Super Blackhawk. This gun is downright indestructable. Take it into the woods, drag it around, get it cold, wet and scratched up and it will still shoot better than you can hold. The .44 mag has long ago proven to be an ideal killer on deer and hog sized game. The gun is available in a number of configurations, and I prefer the shorter barrels, but all are just as tough and reliable. Again Randy Garrett's ammo will make this sucker really hit hard! However, you can kill many things with a good .44 spl load (remember Skeeter and Elmer!).

Hang this one on your hip and you will never need more in a handgun in the outdoors. And you need not worry, it will go BANG! when you need it.

Again, I don't own one, but I really should.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice combo,but I think all the bases are covered with my 1895 XLR 45-70 and Super redhawk in 454 casull(or if the 7.5" is too uncomfortable I also have the Alaskan model in 454 too) :D .
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I agree those are excellent choices for an outdoorsman to make. I do have a Guide Gun, but I substitute a S&W 629 for the Blackhawk.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Last edited by Jaguarundi on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mic214
Levergunner

Post by mic214 »

Mine is a standard 1895 and it has worked pretty well on a bunch of Texas hogs that I have taken over the years. The Ruger pictured is a Bisley Vaquero:

My favorite Ruger single action is my 5-1/2" stainless SBH:

My favorite Ruger double action is my 5-1/2" stainless .44 magnum Redhawk:

Last edited by mic214 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Good choice Scott, but for me it would be my 444P & .45 Colt BH 6" barrel. I suppose I should get that new SBH .44 at the gun store for $350.00, darn... it will have to wait for some other things. Like brakes on the Van.

LeverBob
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Part of the issue is that you can get either for about $300 used.

The cheap price does not reflect the utility.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

good choices indeed for the outdoorsman. Hard to argue your points. I don't have either, though I have the calibers covered.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Will a Browning 1886 SRC and an old-model Ruger Super Blackhawk do? :D

Can't argue with you a bit Scott - right on the money!
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I have put a lot of thought into this of late. If I want to put away certain guns for my little boy, they should be useful guns. Guns in calibers that can easily and efficiently be loaded with cast bullets. Accurate, powerful and durable guns that will outlast me.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

For a nice pair, my choice would be a 45/70 Marlin or Winchester 1886 and a 6 inch S & W 29-2.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I really want a Marlin in .45-70, but my favorites (only because I own them and they work pretty well for me) are my Puma in .480 Ruger and my Super Redhawk 7½" in the anodized greenish gray again in .480 Ruger. I pulled the pistol out at RKrodles place where he had invited us in the area to go shooting, and 86er asked what the heck it was. I offered to let him shoot it, but he declined. It actually kicks worse than RKrodles Freedom Arms in .475 Linebaugh. Ruger could take a lesson from Freedom Arms about the shape of a gun butt. It is very accurate, though.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Yup,I agree with your thinking on reload ability ST.That is why I also have two SS Rossi M92s chambered in 45 Colt.BTW with over 1000 rounds on hand loaded in 45 colt (with equipment to reload also).I think the bases are covered from paper to griz. :wink:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The same as my hog combo, but I might sub in my Winchester Model 71 in 348 once in a while. :wink:

"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I suppose it is a good thing that I'm not a serious outdoorsman! :P

I'll just have to make do with my Browning 1886 and a Colt SAA in .45 Colt. :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Yeah, I'm really a semi-auto pistol shooter at heart, but I am totally sold on Ruger for revolvers, which this scenario calls for.
I'd say you're on the money with stainless, and I'd go with the same caliber in both, to continue the practicality angle. Reloadability is helped with a common-as-dirt case and bullet, and you're also dead right about the cast bullet thing.
That formula leads me to .44 magnum. It's the only one I can think of with all those characteristics. If they don't have to share the ammo, then make the rifle 45-70 to cover what the pistol isn't big enough for, and you end up...

...Exactly where you arrived at! Brilliant, Holmes! Excellent deduction! Only modifier I'd make is that you could have a super redhawk instead of a super blackhawk, depending on your taste.

Now If Marlin would make the .357 rifle I want them to in stainless, that would be another way to do the same thing, but in a lighter config.
bang.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yup. I'm there. I made lots of venison with a superblackhawk and it's all you said for sure. Mine was a 10" model and I don't think it gave up anything to a Marlin 1894 as far as making meat goes.

But I gotta say that alaskan calls to me every time I see it. A 420g .476 BTB loping along at 950fps will cleanly take anything within a hundred yards and cleanly stop anything that wants to eat you. It's the only thing that would get me to leave my redhawk behind.

So Scott, I hope you get those guns pronto. They're awesome field guns for sure.

Grizz
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Those are both excellent choices, Scott; but I would posit that every outdoorsman also needs a .22 rimfire -
for drilling holes in metal, if nothing else ! :wink: :mrgreen:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've got the GS, and my 560gr borerider. Used to have a 480 Ruger with a cistom bobbed 4 1/2" barrel. I plan to replace it this summer. 405gr Kieths @ 1250fps.

Grizz, I have considered that AK quite a bit, and it appeals to me for a lot of reasons. However I think a bit longer sight radius, at least for me, leaves it on the table in favor of a longer barrel. I may just have another SRH bobbed like my last one, and dehorned similar to the WWG Wolverine.

My custom bobbed 480SRH, sold to a guy in AK.

WWG wolverine.

Laser cast .458 405, Mt Baldy .475 405gr Kieth, Mt Baldy 560gr Lyman

My GS at my private range. :lol:

Shot this 50yrd group on the left just below center that day after sighting in the scope. 350gr Hornady RP doing somewhere around 2300fps.

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ScottT wrote:I have put a lot of thought into this of late. If I want to put away certain guns for my little boy, they should be useful guns. Guns in calibers that can easily and efficiently be loaded with cast bullets. Accurate, powerful and durable guns that will outlast me.
Yes, that is what I've been thinking for the grandkids.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Boys,

I am unlikely to get such guns for myself. I am afraid that I am ruined by my beloved Shiloh, Big Nose Kate, and my .500 Linebaugh.

But, the practical side of me knows that neiter are as versitile as the two mentioned in my initial post.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I've done a good deal of hunting with my 1895GS guide gun and it is hard for me to imagine a more perfect hunting tool. A couple of Elk seasons back the buckle broke on my sling and I elected to just pack the GG around in my hands rather than try to fix it. I was impressed how easily it carried even crawling in the thick stuff. The only time I missed the sling was when it got so steep that handhold's were needed.

On Elk and Black Bear the performance of a cast bullet jogging along at around 1300-1400 fps can best be described as devastating. Complete penetration, excellent wound channels and no tracking required.

Most often I pair this rifle up with a Ruger Single Six. Mainly I use it for Grouse though I did have occasion to use it for signaling when I was temporarily confused about my relative location and camp a few years back... :oops:

http://www.grovestreet.com/PicPage.do?id=1205877
Last edited by Whit Spurzon on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That combo will certainly handle the 200 yd, range. And these would be a reasonable substitute for the guide gun I would imagine.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Old Savage wrote:That combo will certainly handle the 200 yd, range. And these would be a reasonable substitute for the guide gun I would imagine.

I sure like those military carbines. Spent a lot of time shooting one in .50-70 out to a bit over 600yds last June. It will wear you out to shoot it a bunch at one time, but for a hunting weapon, it is hard to beat.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I believe you have demonstated that they will fill a wide range of roles for the man who wants to learn to use one. It is more of a challenge than the scoped Marlin with it.
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is interesting that I've come close to this...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

For me and many others growing up in wisconsin a pump 12 gauge shotgun and a winchester 94 was standard issue. Also a winchester model 62 pump .22.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

ScottT wrote:I have put a lot of thought into this of late. If I want to put away certain guns for my little boy, they should be useful guns. Guns in calibers that can easily and efficiently be loaded with cast bullets. Accurate, powerful and durable guns that will outlast me.

Such a combination would be difficult to beat. Affordable and not difficult to find. Both can be loaded extremely light for new shooters and adaptable to growing intrests and experiences. I shot a lot of 45-70s as a kid. Mostly light handloads in Trapdoors. Wasn't until I was in my 20s and 30s that I found they could be such fire breathing dragons and even more fun.

Plus I would imagine that this little guy growing up around the classic big bores you own that he'd be thrilled to receive his own pair of Big Boy Guns!!

Planning similar sets for our boys.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Well, I've got the SBH covered by a 4 5/8 stainless, It is my favorite field gun. Don't own a 45/70, will a 1968 .444 do?
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Two guns that no serious outdoorsman should be without.

Post by don Tomás »

ScottT wrote:First, the Marlin Guide Gun. It is powerful and efficient. It can take on anything from small game to the biggest game on this continent. I think that this should be the official assault rifle of the redneck brigades.
Amen, brother. I just about pulled the trigger (so to speak) to get an 1895GS, but decided to re-build the 'puter at the last moment. So now I can get onto Leverguns.Com and feel bad about not getting the Guide Gun in half the time! :D
(This 'puter reincarnation is an AMD Athlon X2 6400+ 3.4GHz, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MBoard, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB SATA drive, twice pipes & Tuck-in-roll)
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Your concept is 100% Sound. I've taken the liberty of having a 6.5" Power Ported 629 instead of the Ruger....I don't load max and the Ruger Single Actions don't fit me properly.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

600 Nitro Express double, and a 4" barrel 500 S&W.

Don't have to carry matches.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the one I would add to the 44 for an open sight combo, a 444 Big Bore.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hey Old Savage, Nice 94 BB. I traded one just like it sans the fancy lever to 2row about 5 years ago. It had a 1/18 twist so it would stabilize the heavies well, unlike some of the shadows and othe BB's that had a myriad of slower twists.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I have a Browning 1886 and love that. I do however like the guide gun. I have considered adding it to the list of "must haves". It is a handy size and a really like the saineless finish. This rifle really speaks "all around outdoors gun" to me also. This one in my opinion would be better to have bump around and if it gets a little dinged up oh well. My hand gun is my S&W 686 in .357 mag. Or my Ruger Vaqueros in .45 Colt.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

'T'ain't a Guide Gun but I'm happy with my 45/70 "Smelly Nelly"...
and my Taurus model 44 fills the bill in the 44 mag department.
Batmann
Levergunner

Post by Batmann »

No .45-70 or Super Blackhawk, but will a M94 in .30-30 and a S&W 629 "Mountain Gun" do?
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I'm not saying you cannot have other guns, but there are things you cannot do with a .30-30 rifle and a .357 revolver.

There really isn't anything you cannot do with a .45-70 and a .44 mag revolver.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I think most folks would be best served with a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and a Browning Buckmark .22
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

ScottT wrote:I'm not saying you cannot have other guns, but there are things you cannot do with a .30-30 rifle and a .357 revolver.

There really isn't anything you cannot do with a .45-70 and a .44 mag revolver.
Yep. and If I didn't already have all the dies and components for the 480 I'd be getting a Redhawk .44mag. I agonized over that for awhile.
11B30
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Don't currently own a 45/70 but I've been pretty happy with my Win. Mdl 94 30/30 that I have been toting around for about 45 years. It has handled all my needs.

For several years a Ruger single six was my constant companion, but in the 1970's I added a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt. I have now added a SBH .44. Occasionally I pair up the SBH with my Marlin 1894 - .44mag (24" bbl.) as very comfortable companions.

I will say this post has stirred up an interest in a 45/70, but I think mine would have to be like ScottT's, a Big Nose Kate.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

cowboykell wrote:I think most folks would be best served with a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and a Browning Buckmark .22
Well, you go over there and sit in the corner with "most folks." But remember, "most folks" are not levergunners. :D
41_Marlin
Levergunner

Post by 41_Marlin »

45-70 sure do seem to be very accurate rifles.

But I can't help but remembering John Wayne's character ridiculing
Glen Cambell's character in "True Grit" everytime I think about getting
one.

Now if the Post was titled "The Two Best Values for Serious Outdoorsmen"
I'd have to agree 100%.

Living in Florida and hunting in Alabama where a good sized German Sheppard makes a mature Buck look small, I'll take a muzzleloader
over a Guide Gun any day. Now I do suppose some folks would say
if yer "Serious" then you should have at least one Bear Hunt planned.
Well in that case I guess I'm not "Serious". I do get into the woods
every chance I get, and I always leave the places I visit better off
than I found em. I also find that with some skill you can get within 25 yards of any critter you want to kill in the dense brush and swamps I hunt. So I always did consider myself a "Serious Outdoorsman".
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

41_Marlin wrote:Living in Florida and hunting in Alabama where a good sized German Sheppard makes a mature Buck look small, I'll take a muzzleloader
over a Guide Gun any day. Now I do suppose some folks would say
if yer "Serious" then you should have at least one Bear Hunt planned.
Well in that case I guess I'm not "Serious". I do get into the woods
every chance I get, and I always leave the places I visit better off
than I found em. I also find that with some skill you can get within 25 yards of any critter you want to kill in the dense brush and swamps I hunt. So I always did consider myself a "Serious Outdoorsman".
+1 :D .In my area of Alabama your statement applies spot on.I usually stalk hunt.I either tote a sixgun or a 92 rossi for Deer or Hog(45 colt).The foliage is so thick you would be hard put to get a shot over 25 yards. :wink: Image
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

"Most folks" don't need magnums or .45 cal. to compensate for poor marksmanship. :lol:
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I tend to agree on the usefulness of the Guide Gun. Been upgrading mine a bit recently. Details here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Leupold-Custom4570.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

rangerider7 wrote:The same as my hog combo, but I might sub in my Winchester Model 71 in 348 once in a while. :wink:

I can go along with ol' Range Rider, I could probably survive 30 or 45 minutes out in the woods with a Blackhawk chambered in 45 Colt, and packing my .348 Winchester. But I might just have to take the Super Blackhawk.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

if I were going to 45-70 I'd get the full rifle, not the guide gun. Even serious outdoorsmen may not like the extra blast or recoil.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

How do you find a 8 year old thread? Anyway that's the fun part. There are uncountable brands, models and calibers out there. A case can be made for most of em. We all have favorites. My biggest problem if I ever got called out on short notice and there was no escaping it, I would have a devil of a time deciding what gun I was going to choose!