Does Anyone Own Duluth Trading Company "Fire Hose Pants"?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Does Anyone Own Duluth Trading Company "Fire Hose Pants"?

Post by Blaine »

The look good in the ads...I thought I'd find a real life person that has them for a review....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BrentD

Re: Does Anyone Own Duluth Trading Company "Fire Hose Pants"

Post by BrentD »

I have a work jacket made of the stuff. Quite tough. Not sure I would want it for pants though. Might take some serious breaking in.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BrentD wrote:I have a work jacket made of the stuff. Quite tough. Not sure I would want it for pants though. Might take some serious breaking in.
Thanks....I was thinking of them as Pacific Northwest motorcycle pants, with polypropylene long johns.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Might work fairly well for that. The weave is a little course and may let in wind, but I've not noticed it on the jacket - which goes out a -20 F and colder.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've only bought some wool hunting shirts from Duluth, so can only say that they don't sell poorly-made items.

Their comparitive (to L.L.Bean, Cabela's, etc) prices are very attractive.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I know Ms Boots loves that place.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Interested in hearing comments.

I've got some Carhartts loggers pants for the bike which work well.

So saying, I've ordered couple things from Duluth and never not been satisfied with the quality.

I've watched them over the years...looks like they'll carry a brand for awhile, like the Ironclad gloves. If it sells, they gin up their own design, get it made over seas and take that on as their own product.
magyars4
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars4 »

I recently bought a pair of their on sale fire hose pants, I believe they were listed as pre-washed & softer than the standard weight.
So far I have found them to be well made and tough pants. they are also good looking.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I know of a guy on another forum that wears them and swears by them. I think he said they are about all he wears.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

BlaineG wrote:The look good in the ads...I thought I'd find a real life person that has them for a review....
They are like fr clothing which I have to wear to work everyday starting jan 1st, love the socks, wear nothing but the wool year around, chromer hats yes, and recently I got their fitted tank tops, I swear by duluth and if you don't like em, send em back :D
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

BlaineG wrote:I know Ms Boots loves that place.....
I sure do!!! :P
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

BlaineG wrote:
BrentD wrote:I have a work jacket made of the stuff. Quite tough. Not sure I would want it for pants though. Might take some serious breaking in.
Thanks....I was thinking of them as Pacific Northwest motorcycle pants, with polypropylene long johns.....
I think they would work for you and when they come , Try them and if you don't like, send them back, they are great on returns, love that place
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

My SIL loves his firehose pants; he has both the regular and the fleece lined versions and is thinking of buying a couple more pairs. He refers to them as his GSD pants because when he wears them around home he, "GETS 'STUFF' DONE".

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have one pair.

They are "NOT" hot weather wear.

For Pacific Northwest, Maine, Alaska, etc, anywhere that 50F is 'warm' they're great. If it's 80+ outside, you will be fairly miserable.

The good: Roomy. Excellent design. As Duluth says they "Have Ballroom". The cargo pockets will fit a 30 round M16 magazine and retain it during some fairly intense activity. There are pockets inside of pockets, flaps that velcro open or shut, etc. If you're beating the stuff out of your pants they will do very well. A friend who works construction has four pairs, after 2.5 years of every single day wear on job sites that shred other clothing he still has 3. Pair #4 succumbed to an unexpected explosion. Don't ask......

For hot weather, rough use wear, I wear Wrangler Riggs Ranger pants. Ripstop, same build (slightly thicker material) than the old summerweight BDUs. Like the Duluth pants they have Ballroom. Being ripstop, they are very tough. I've had four pairs of pants and two pairs of shorts last five years of effectively every day wear. For everything from range wear, hunting, construction, warehouse work, retail and corporate wear, they hold up. They are wearable (comfortably) in 100F+ temps as the ripstop breathes better than the Firehose stuff.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This is good stuff....This must be a quality-prone, and reliable store.....I'm particularly impressed that I can get my inseam, which is pretty short. Usually, if I get a waist that fits my gut, the inseam is far too long....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

All the stuff I've seen from Duluth looks like quality stuff. I've been thinking about getting one of their lunchboxes.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I was not a fan of their midweight cargo pants, the cut was far different (No Ballroom) than their normal Firehose pants.

But that was in '09 and they may have changed.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

This is all interesting updates. By odd coincidence, just got one of their catalogs in the mail today.

I haven't tried their pants since I'm a big fan of Carhartts. (and a get a company discount at a local store)

But I do like their advertising for the "not cheap hotel syndrome"

Oh, and I just remembered, I have two of their vehicle seat organizers, one for the truck and one for the jeep. All faded from the sun, but still functional, for 10+ years old. One I have in the jeep is fraying at the top, but this is the third vehicle it's been in and who knows how many times the coffee thermos has rubbed across that seam.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Pair #4 succumbed to an unexpected explosion. Don't ask

I can't help it, got to
Unless it was serious, and he got hurt, I take no pleasure in pain and grief
Just seems like there's a funny story here, hope so anyway, if not I hope he's doin well
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

He's doing fine. He didn't get hurt.

However, he unexpectedly got to experience a 9-banger going off from about 1 foot away, when you're supposed to experience them from across a room as you hit it with an entry team.....

Even the Firehose material isn't totally fireproof and it did a number on them apparently.

Some flashbangs have a good bit more flash than others.