OT-Wintering in Texas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

OT-Wintering in Texas

Post by oldgerboy »

I've only been lurking since we left Pennsylvania in August and headed to Texas by way of South Dakota. We were originally going to Oregon but changed plans. We have been in Texas for a month going down the panhandle and southeast through Amarillo, Lubbock, San Angelo, Johnson City, San Antonio, and now Corpus Christi. Next Wednesday we will land into our winter home a little west of Mission. We have been fortunate in our lives to have traveled over most all of the western states except Texas. I had gone west to east on 10 about 40 years ago in the Kenworth but that was all. Texas is an absolutely fantastic place.
I'm hoping to find a shooting range and some hunting since we will be here until April.
Altogether I have eight "toys" with me ... two in the building process. I will also be checking on the process for earning a concealed carry license.
Any info about things to see and places to go will be appreciated.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT-Wintering in Texas

Post by oldgerboy »

I would also like to thank 86er for his info back in August and apologize to BlaineG for not making it to Oregon as I had hoped ... plans changed.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to Texas! I'm not all that familiar with that part of the state. Maybe you can PM Charles and see what he recommends. I understand he's lived down there for many years.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Thanks Griff ... we're getting ready to lift anchor and go to Mission so I'll be off the internet for a few days ... then I'll give him a shout.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

I hope you took the opportunity to check out Palo Doro canyon while you were in north Texas. Tons of history there!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

There are places to shoot in the Upper Valley, but I can't tell you where as I live an hour down the road near the coast. You best bet will be to stop by Glick Twins in Pharr as ask them about local gun ranges. Glick Twins is the bigger supplier of guns and shooting supplies in this part of the world.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

There are places to shoot in the Upper Valley, but I can't tell you where as I live an hour down the road near the coast. You best bet will be to stop by Glick Twins in Pharr and ask them about local gun ranges. Glick Twins is the biggest supplier of guns and shooting supplies in that part of the world.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

on your way south you might want to check out Palo Duro Canyon, Cap Rock Canyons SP, Cooper's BBQ in Llano,
Fredericksburg. If trout fishing interests you, the Guadalupe tailrace in Sattler (great fishing all winter)
There is really good coast fishing all winter from Rivera down to Mexico.
West of San Antonio is some of the most Texas-looking Texas you will find, along with game ranches. Hondo, Sabinal, Uvalde, Concan, though I guess there aren't any campsites by the time you get to Vinegarone.

http://www.traveltex.com/
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

We went to the canyon ... drove the water crossings ... absolutely beautiful and the history of it is fascinating. We have been to lots of museums on our journey and have been around so much history. The history and adventure of the western United States has so much documentation since it is "newer" than most of the eastern side. It's almost like being is a whole other world.
Thanks for the info Charles. I also think if I can find some sort of "local" restaurant I can find out about shops, ranges, and maybe someplace to hunt something.
We came through Amarillo, Lubbock, San Angelo, Johnson City, San Antonio, and Corpus Christi. We took a side trip to Brackettville. We will catch some of eastern Texas when we head back to Pennsylvania in April.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

if you're still in Corpus, breakfast tacos are their best food...
http://tacotopia.net/

Also very good Thai and Vietnamese.

Water Street Seafood Bar is the best seafood there - their house walnut salad dressing is a good group