Medium Sized Knives (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Medium Sized Knives (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I didn't want to hijack the Randall knife thread, but the comments on big knives and expensive knives got me to thinking. I would rather just have two or three high quality (probably expensive) knives than a bunch of low-cost knives. On the other hand, when push comes to shove, any piece of steel with a point and a sharp edge will do the job. I just like quality craftsmanship. That being said, there are some real good knives that do not cost very much, and there are some quality knives that are way over priced.

Second, in my opinion, there is definitely a place for a big knife when your life might be on the line (and one never knows when that will be). In a scrap with a bear, which is always a possibility with the amount of time I spend in the wilderness, or a Cougar, a 7 & 1/2" blade beats a 4" blade most days of the week.

As for game, for many years, I used a 4" blade for gutting and skinning Whitetail Deer. Then I got a 6 & 1/8" Bowie custom made by Mr. A.K. Soellner of Chisholm's Trail, with Sambar Stag grips. Here is a photo with a 45-70 cartridge shown for scale ...

The 45-70 cartridge, by the way, is loaded with an Accurate Moulds 500 grain plain base bullet over 28 grains of IMR 4198, no filler, mag primer, 1,268 fps, and is dead accurate in my original Winchester 1886 (report to be posted sometime). Anyway, I started using the Bowie with the 6 & 1/8" blade and found I liked it better than the short blades, especially for reaching into places such as cutting all around the diaphragm without getting my arm bloody up to the elbow (not a problem in warm weather, but it gets a little cold up here in Canada by the second week in November. The curved-up point was slightly inconvenient for making the opening slit up the belly skin while avoiding cutting into the intestines, but two fingers sandwiching the up-turned blade solved that problem completely. I continue to use this knife for gutting, skinning and butchering/deboning/cutting up the meat for packaging.

I had a hankerin' for a Damascus blade so I ordered a 6 & 1/2" drop point with Buffalo horn grips. I prefer a drop point, since it is easier to make the slit up the belly skin without cutting the membrane that incases the intestines. I've found a 6 & 1/2" blade is just as easy to use as a 4" and regret not getting a 7 & 1/2" blade, thinking that extra inch could be a deal-breaker in a wrestle with a Black Bear. Playing dead doesn't work for Blacks; if they do attack you, it is usually for food. We lose one or two people every year to Black Bears here in Canada. I used this knife to gut, skin, and butcher/debone/trim/cut-up two large Whitetail deer on the same day, with no sharpening required for the entire process. Here is a photo, again with the 45-70 cartridge for scale ...

Bottom Line: After using small blades for many years to gut, and skin deer, I prefer the longer blades now, especially for butchering and cutting up the meat. If I ever have to scrap with a Black Bear, I will also choose the longer blade. If I get another knife, it will be a stainless steel Damascus with antler handle and a 7 & 1/2" blade, drop point.
Last edited by KirkD on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
BrentD

Re: Medium Sized Knives (photos)

Post by BrentD »

That second one is a very nice knife. Big, but I like it. I doubt I would want or use one, but I can see it's utility.

and I agree that long blades have their places in butchering. I've done whole bull elk and many deer and antelope with a 2.25" blade but that gets somewhat old when there is a lot to process.

Rapala filet knives are my current favorite when have 2-3 antelope on the ground. They are dirt cheap when bought used at gunshows.

Brent
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's good thinking Kirk. I never saw a need for a bowie, thinking my redhawk was my bear medicine, but of course I need a backup for that. You convinced me.

I will make one this winter when the boat work is weathered in. I have some 3/16 1084 that should be adequate. How thick are your blades at the spine?

Grizz
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

BrentD: Those Rapala's are good knives. I forgot to mention that I use both the above knives for filleting fish as well. For skinning the fillet, a long blade is very helpful. If the fish is getting pretty big, a longer bladed fillet knife would be better.

Griff: The Sambar Stag Bowie is 0.160" at the spine. The Damascus blade is 0.185" (3/16") at the spine.

I forgot to mention my really big knife, a hand-and-a-half made by a bladesmith in northern BC. Some of you old timers on the board may remember 45Stomp. He is an amazing craftsman. This sword is made to be used and is very fast when both hands are on the grip. I figured if I ever had to use it, it would be indoors where a Longsword is impractical, hitting walls, furniture and the ceiling. This sword has a fast 26 inch blade, perfect for indoors. The steel tang is sandwiched between carved hardwood and then wrapped in leather. Here is a photo ...

Last edited by KirkD on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I know zip about swords but being of Viking extraction I spend an hour watching this show on public television about making a steel Viking sword from scratch (as in from ore). It was one of the better hours I have ever spent watching a tube.

You can see it here. Quite impressive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice knives there Kirk!
I have never used a big knife for dressing game out but I like your experience with them
Ive dulled many knives on wallowing Moose or Elk but always carried 3 knives for the job with a 6 in.
as the longest

ollogger
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice knives Kirk and that sword is impressive....
Brent... I watched that Ulfberht Viking sword piece on PBS awhile back either on Secrets of the Dead or NOVA... Loved it... There was another piece in one of those series that really delivered on the complexity and the why of the expense of blade making in ancient Japan that has some parallels to Ulfberht...In a word, Manpower!! Talk about it takes a village!...To name just a few involved to produce one sword... It took : wood cutters, charcoal makers, iron bloom gatherers, oven builders, fire tenders, fishermen, smiths...No telling how many I've omitted .... Fascinating stuff...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Nice knives Kirk. I love both of them.
BrentD , I saw that show on making them also. very interesting.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice knives. I watched that show on the ulfbehrt blades, too. I was engrossed for the entire time. My Grandfather on my Dad's side was a blacksmith, but he died before I was born. He taught his sons about working metal. During WWII, one Uncle bought or traded for a knife somewhere in North Africa. He had the knowledge to tell that it had good steel, but a bad heat treatment. He borrowed the tools from the tank mechanics and built a fire to temper the blade. He said it was the best blade he had during the entire time from before El Alamein to after D-Day. When he was wounded in France, the knife was taken by a Captain. He got back to his unit and the Captain refused to give it back. It had already saved the Captain's life and he was not about to part with it. My Uncle had to make do with a Ka-Bar after that. A good blade is more than just a chunk of sharp steel. A good one will hold an edge, and it is designed for the task. I can get some lead/antimony mixtures to a sharp edge that will cut you, but they won't stay sharp.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There was a pretty interesting show last year on PBS, about a modern Wisconsin sword-builder who successfully made a genuine replication of an original Viking Ulfberht sword, made using the forgotten process of making crucible steel, then forging the sword, complete with the "+VFHBERH+T" inlay.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/se ... sword.html

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very nice knives Kirk, I reckon either one would be a big help while huggin' a bear.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very nice knives Kirk, I reckon either one would be a big help while huggin' a bear.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've tried my 6-½ Blackhawk and an 8" Buck I have, but... I must not have the skillset to use those big blades on skinnin' or guttin' chores. And we won't talk about the 15" Arkansas Toothpick!

I really like my Brownings, both are 4", and with my hand choked up a little, I have the control to keep those lil' nicks outta the skin; with very little fleshing required later, by me or the tanner.
I've seen that NOVA show on that sword also. Would be VERY cool to have one and learn its use!
Last edited by Griff on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Very nice Kirk.
Just gotta love that Damascus. :mrgreen:
I'm still more of a folding knife guy.
This is the best I currently have in the knife department.
1989 Case XX 5159 LSS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Case makes nice knives. I have a Case letter opener on my desk, complete with a sheath. Once side is for letters, the other side is sharp for cutting string, cardboard, or cheese slices. :)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Good thread Kirk, You have us all spoiled....and not to Hi-jack it if You could get 45Stomp to post some more of His Hunts and experiences all here would be totally blown away. He posted years ago often. I have a picture out in the Man Room from 2007 that Stomp posted here with a black bear He killed with a 45-70 He built Himself, a fine looking rifle. We would Love to hear from Him.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

KirkD wrote:...
I forgot to mention my really big knife, a hand-and-a-half made by a bladesmith in northern BC. Some of you old timers on the board may remember 45Stomp. He is an amazing craftsman. This sword is made to be used and is very fast when both hands are on the grip. I figured if I ever had to use it, it would be indoors where a Longsword is impractical, hitting walls, furniture and the ceiling. This sword has a fast 26 inch blade, perfect for indoors. The steel tang is sandwiched between carved hardwood and then wrapped in leather. Here is a photo ...

That sword is beautiful. Not the style of swordwork (I'm conversant in Sabre, Epee, Cutlass, Gladius, Gladii Florentine, and Zatôichi-type Iaido/Iaijutsu...) but a beautiful blade that I would be proud to own/learn nonetheless.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Very nice knives. That Damascus one is really striking.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Kirk, thanks for showing these. I love horn grips and will throw up my Smith

My favorite knife scales are bighorn sheep horn, these on a Bark River Woodland camp knife (small knife) with matching firesteel
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nice Bighorn Sheep grips. I've not seen Bighorn Sheep horn on grips before.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I don't think I could bring myself to cut up a bighorn for scales. But it's nice.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I do remember very well 45Stomp and his hunting stories of all the Big game animals he took with his 92 .45 Colt rifle.

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Kirk,
Nice knives, I have always been a fan of bigger knives then those preferred by the average user. Most of my life, I have always carried at least one folding hunter knife on my person with usually a 4 inch blade, just as an EDC, but when bow hunting, I usually carry some form of Bowie Knife with around an 8 inch blade, because you can just do a lot of different things with a bigger knife, although I know that all that is really needed is a 3 blade stockman to gut a deer. But that big knife can do so much more, when called upon.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

After reading this a few times I got a couple of knives out of the gun safe. I have an old Puma Bowie with a 6 1/2 inch blade and stag handles, grips, or scales, what ever you wish to call them. My grandson Jerry3 has a couple of Buck knives, a #119 Special and a #120 General. The General has a 7 1/4 inch blade, was this knife ever classed as a fighting knife? I know a lot of folks that sent the 120 to family fighting in Viet Nam. I don't know how old the Puma is, my brother inlaw gave it to me several years ago because the grips match the old yellow stag on my Colt. I think it is a late 1960's or early 1970's knife.

Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Beautiful pictures, as always, KirkD.
I like both of the knives but the first one I like most.

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

KirkD wrote:BrentD: Those Rapala's are good knives. I forgot to mention that I use both the above knives for filleting fish as well. For skinning the fillet, a long blade is very helpful. If the fish is getting pretty big, a longer bladed fillet knife would be better.

Griff: The Sambar Stag Bowie is 0.160" at the spine. The Damascus blade is 0.185" (3/16") at the spine.

That is just darn cool! 8) I've always wanted to have a custom sword made, something to hand down for ages. :mrgreen: