self defense more than a gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

self defense more than a gun

Post by pokey »

now,, don't get me wrong i kinda like firearms. I think everyone should own and use and carry
as many as they would like / can afford.

BUT , they are but a tool. one tool of many to use in the defense of self and others.
the recent threads about weapons to carry have struck me as folks likening guns
to magic wands that keep baddies away. no matter what you have in your pocket , what
matters most is what you have in your head and your heart. the stories about bad guys that
absorb multiple shots and continue moving should tell you , you could too. high cap mags
won't keep you from being hit , just better retaliation. shot your last shot?
give up? HA! anything you see can be a weapon. there were several posts with alternate reach extenders.
walking stick, kubaton, pocket knife, etc. just because someone lives in a place where firearms are
limited/prohibited doesn't make that person a victim. study of hand to hand is important as well,
krav maga is good for the street but so are others.

how'd yogi berra say it ? 50% physical and the other 90% mental.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: self defense more than a gun

Post by 7.62 Precision »

You are absolutely right.

To many people take a CCW course, strap on a pistol, and think they are safe. The pistol does not make you safe - your attitude and skill are what are important, and the pistol is just one tool that you use.

A good pistol course should teach unarmed self-defense techniques, how to use a pistol until it is empty, then use it as a blunt-force weapon, how to use your feet and fists and elbows and teeth, and whatever you can get your hands on.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwBHYwE ... 12XTFxspfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wD6H0R ... fA&index=9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuGU1X8 ... 12XTFxspfA
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Situational awareness is more important than what caliber or how many rounds you have. If you have to pull and use your concealed carry weapon, then you have likely made a bad mistake. Not always, but usually you can avoid car to car collisions when you drive because you look around. Having a concealed firearm or not, you should look around you at what is happening. I have had my license for long enough to have to renew twice, and have never had to pull out my pistol. I consider that to be more important than what I carry. Situational awareness.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

From NCIS: Rule 9: "Never go anywhere without a knife." Good rule. A good quality, lock-blade, folding knife, that can be opened with one hand should be a part of everyone's daily dress. Mine goes in my waistband before I ever put on my shoes. Doesn't run out of bullets, seldom jams, is hard for your assailant to grab without inflicting injury on themselves and at belly-to-belly distances technique isn't all that important.

As we get older, which I rapidly am, a good, stout walking cane is an effective, unobtrusive weapon. I've got one but am looking for one that suits me better. Am considering a quality sword cane.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

I prefer this over my pocket knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbn7xBdWYvw