Hmmm... Did I Pass up a Bargain?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Hmmm... Did I Pass up a Bargain?

Post by Griff »

Went runnin' around with TTT some today... stopped by a funshop, and they had a 1970 Lone Star commemorative on the rack. All original, no box, papers and well worn, but not abused. Sights appeared crisp and no nicks or any sign of being knocked about. Brass plating was worn thin, not major or even minor nicks in the furniture, action was still tight... $400... wouldn't take $300. 26" ½-round/octagon, ½ mag, just a nice clean gun but lots of metal finish wear gun.

Too bad, I was a buyer at $300.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Hmmm... Did I Pass up a Bargain?

Post by wm »

I think $300 was right where you would want to be on a shooter like that. Wait a few weeks and see if $300 sounds more appealing to the owner.......time has that effect on sales sometimes.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Same place had a 1950 94 in 32 Win Spec.......Nice shape, good bore. 299$$ In the ABR (age before retirement :lol: ) I would have picked that one up....Welchers is famous for not budging one inch on used stuff......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

If you're not sure if you passed up a so-called bargain...then you didn't.

Octagon barrel adds a little value, but 4 C's is only there for a almost new, not the condition it's in.

$300 may be a little low, but I wouldn't go north of $350, and only that high for the barrel.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

wecsoger wrote:If you're not sure if you passed up a so-called bargain...then you didn't.

This.

If you have to think twice about doing something, usually better not to do it. :wink:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I would have walked at $400 as well, in the condition as stated. I have been wanting to pick up a Buffalo Bill Commemorative, but I hear the Winchester receivers of that time get a bad rap. I have no clue as all my levers have been Marlins. I am considering getting a Rossi 92 with the octagon and CCH receiver instead.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

odd man out?

not a smokin' deal , but if you are in the market for a long
barrel , short mag , '94 , you could spend alot more.
and , as they say , they ain't makin' any more.

used to be you could make you own.
38-55+30-30.JPG
but parts have dried up some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, those are all nicer'n this'n. I don't think this'n was shot all that much, but looked like someone had just polished the "gold-plating" off. No knicks or dings in the wood, and the plating was worn in a manner that I guessed would not be consistent with carrying it. It could have been from being in a sleeve or soft bag, but the blued barrel and sights didn't have the same type of wear I associate with sliding in and out of a bag. I figured I was right on with my price... but if the clerk was truthful, they'd not had it 30 days yet. And it ain't like I ain't .30-30 poor! This woulda been my 4th Commemorative if I count the '67 Canadian Centennial that's been rebarrled to a "Trapper"... which I truly love; and brought me back up to 30 .30-30s.

Pokey, I have, and if I ever get my gumption up to tackling the wood I have six receivers to be assembled... only missing the guide plates for the one NIB '63 receiver I have... Even found a set of brand new screws for it... just no cartridge guides seem to be had.
horsesoldier03 wrote:I would have walked at $400 as well, in the condition as stated. I have been wanting to pick up a Buffalo Bill Commemorative, but I hear the Winchester receivers of that time get a bad rap. I have no clue as all my levers have been Marlins. I am considering getting a Rossi 92 with the octagon and CCH receiver instead.
Don't let their "rep" snooker you. Yes, they're prone to "freckling". And they can't be blued with a standard salt blue bath. But, the later years of that production run are really good guns... GUNs. Not beauty contest winners or nostalgic antiques with tales to tell (or make up)! But, they're really kinda prized as done-to-earth shooters! Especially the long barreled commemoratives. Winchester used a lighter taper on the octagon versions, vs. what you see on antiques, and they have a good reputation for accuracy due to this. Even the ½-round/octagon versions are known to be good shooters.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I would have passed on the Lone Star, but the .32 ? I don't think so. I guess .32's don't have a following in that part of the world.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That would have been a decent price around here. I probably would have bought it.
NRA Life Member