Single action 22's?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Single action 22's?

Post by gcs »

Lately I've been considering a SA 22. I checked out Rugers Single Six and the Bearcat, I kinda like the idea of the Bearcat as it's considerably lighter and a bit smaller, while searching, I also see Heritage and Chiappa make them.
Anyone have any pro's or con's on any of them? Any I missed?
Accuracy is important, and a decent trigger is imperative. All thoughts, insights, and opinions welcomed. Thanks
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Single action 22's?

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I own three Ruger Single Six .22`s. IMHO ,a better single action .22 has never been made and I had a Colt at one time and still like the Ruger best.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

While the Heritage is very inexpensive, I would recommend buying one only if there were insufficient funds for something much better (Any Ruger), and if you just GOTTA have a SA, and anything will do.

The Single-Six is a much sturdier gun, is usually readily available either new or used - and the convertible version comes with a .22Mag extra cylinder.

Since I have more than a few .22Mags, I like the BearCat for .22LR.

(Here, with my miniature Uberti/Colt clone .36 cal M-1862 Pocket Police C&B revolver)

The BearCat grips are Elkhorn Stag, by Sack Peterson (google).

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

You'll never regret buying a good a Ruger Single Six.

I love the Bearcat and often use it as a woods hiking sidearm.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I bought a colt 22/22mag. Grew up shooting ruger single six, the colt shoots the mag real well, better than the ruger, but not so much with 22 LR.

I don't think you could really go wrong with the bearcat or single six.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Huh... and here I thought my Hawes Deputy Marshal ($25 OTD "As Is, You Fix It" - so I did... in a motel room with just a Leatherman...) was a pretty good irrigating gun/entre, to SA .22s... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The link below is to a review that I did after purchasing the Pietta .22LR/MAG Combo. Another thought away from the .22 LR is to purchase one of the Cap and Ball Revolvers through Cabelas. Personally, I would love to pick up a 1851 .44 with a 5 1/2" barrel. I have an 1860 that has totally shocked me with its inherent accuracy. My oldest daughter had relatively no shooting experience with a pistol when I first
had her shoot it. She kept all 6 rounds within 4" at approx. 20 yrds.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ta#p655635
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

gcs wrote:....Accuracy is important, and a decent trigger is imperative. All thoughts, insights, and opinions welcomed. Thanks
You might consider shopping around for an unconverted old model Ruger Single-Six.
The old models tend to have better triggers than the new models.

Any of my half-dozen Single-Sixes will shoot accurately enough for plinking from 25 to 50 yards.
I have a couple that will shoot about 1" groups at 25 yards.

I really wanted to like the Bearcat, but it just didn't work for me. :(

My favorites are a 6-1/2" Stainless Single-Six and a 7-1/2" Stainless Single-Six Hunter.

It is sad that the scarcity and price of .22 rimfire ammo has made the .357 with home-cast bullets cheaper to shoot.

Jack
Last edited by jhrosier on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

horsesoldier03 wrote:The link below is to a review that I did after purchasing the Pietta .22LR/MAG Combo. Another thought away from the .22 LR is to purchase one of the Cap and Ball Revolvers through Cabelas. Personally, I would love to pick up a 1851 .44 with a 5 1/2" barrel. I have an 1860 that has totally shocked me with its inherent accuracy. My oldest daughter had relatively no shooting experience with a pistol when I first
had her shoot it. She kept all 6 rounds within 4" at approx. 20 yrds.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ta#p655635
You can't argue with those C&B guns for Fun and for being usefully "off paper".

I really like my stainless Uberti 1858. 3 cylinders. 2 C&B and one .45 ACP... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I had a single six that was good, but like the Colt New Frontier .22/.22 mag better. Beautiful case colors and shoots both well. I just killed a few hundred prickly pear fruit last week and like the color when they explode. I set a few key limes on top and shoot them first then the pear fruit. Had a squib with the Armscor .22.
I would also check the Ruger hunter in .22 in another current thread, I have the .44 mag, it is great.
Last edited by octagon on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I traded a Single-Six for a couch when I got married... I got gypped on the deal. I've fondled a few Bearcats... and find them to be just too small for my mitts. But, I think that one should investigate all possible means to your end.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I suspect that my Single Six with mag cyl would be the only handgun I kept if things got bad and I had to sell everything. It would do (almost) everything I needed to have done in a survival situation.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I will probably be banned but I don't care much for the Single Six. Its just too heavy for a .22. If I'm going to pack that kind of weight on my hip it's going to be more than a .22.
If a Ruger I'd choose the Bearcat but I don't own one.
I like the Colt Frontier Scout and New Frontier .22. I have a few of those and like them a lot. Mine shoot very well and have good triggers.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the Heritage revolvers, and it is exactly what you should expect from the price range. It has never failed me, but it is not all that great accuracy wise, nor does it have a great trigger. It is what I use for playing with a .22 lr at the range. If you can get the Aquilla Colibri rounds for a .22lr, it does pretty well on garden pests with less noise than a pellet gun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I have a Heritage, and when funds allow, I'll be traiding
it for a Ruger.

The heritage is fine, really. The partridge sights with the
fiber optic insert are excellent, the trigger isn't bad - though
not a target trigger, and I find the accuracy just fine. Again, I'm
not shooting competition with it.

Against that, the frame is alloy, and the fits and finishes
aren't that great. The laminated grips are a little bit funky
both in shape and finish. That's easily rectified, if one wishes.
As a plinker and garden pest eliminator it's fine. Really.

The Rugers I've shot are better finshed, better made, feel better
in the hand, and have better triggers.

-Stretch
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

If you are considering a Bearcat, at least handle one before buying. I've had one since 1960 and have two now, one the OM and the other a New Bearcat stainless. Love 'em. But they aren't for everyone. The New Bearcat is easier for most people to shoot well; the alloy-framed OM is REALLY light, which is great when you are carrying it but not so much when you're trying to hit something small.

A New Model Single Six is a much more useful gun, if you only have one .22, especially the more common ones with adjustable sights. The .22 WRM cylinder gives them some self-defense capabilities that no .22 LR handgun has.

I have a near-new Colt "New Frontier" Convertible made in the mid-1970s, and it is a beautiful little gun, but a bit pricey now to drag around the boonies. Even in Richifornia you can usually find a used New Model Single Six convertible for $300-350 in great condition. Definitely a great gun to have. I have two.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I started out with a ruger convertible single six 6 1/2" back around 1961. I own many revolvers. I probley shot that ruger more than I have all the rest of my collection put together since. It was stolen when I was burgled in 1968 and lost it. I own another old beautiful 5 1/2" single six and a old nickle colt scout. The scout is bright nickle and its hard for me to see the sights well in bright sunlight.
For a single action .22 the ruger has to be the only best safest choice made today. Two possible other choices: A colt new frontier .22 and a USFA companys .22 version SAA. They arent made anymore and you will pay in the nose if you can find one. Probley 3 or 4 times more than a single six that shoots at least just as nice.

North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

Have had a couple Bearcats and a bunch of Single Sixes over the years. If accuracy is important to you, you'll probably get along better with the Single Six. It's not that Bearcat isn't accurate - the two I had were quite accurate - it's just that the Bearcat's light weight, small grip and, especially, crude fixed sights don't make a great Rx for accurate shooting. That's much of the reason Bearcats sometimes get an undeserved rep for lacking accuracy. If you take the time to learn how to shoot them, you'll be fine.

As for the others, I'll take a used Single Six, even a well-used Single Six, any day. Darn near impossible to wear out a Single Six in a lifetime of shooting. Money well spent and there are plenty of used ones around if budget is an issue.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Griff wrote:I've fondled a few Bearcats... and find them to be just too small for my mitts..
+1

single six is an ok pistola,,,,,,,,,,but,

this is my pick for 22lr
12226.JPG
12223.JPG

usfa 1222.

lots o' dinero, but i've never handled better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

That 12 shot US firearms is sweet, and one I was alluding to.!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Booger Bill wrote:That 12 shot US firearms is sweet, and one I was alluding to.!
here's one to grab,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =435936916

this one has a shorter barrel than mine, and costs over twice what i paid years ago.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

That IS nice! But I dont have a spare months income.