Changing the barrel on a Winchester 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Changing the barrel on a Winchester 94

Post by Lassiter »

I've got an older Model 94 carbine that's not seeing it fair share of action and I've decided to change the configuration to rifle. I've ordered a Numrich 26" octagon barrel. I've checked everywhere that I can think of and can't find an action wrench to use to get the old barrel out and the new one in. I can find them for almost every other gun but not the 94. I'm sure I've seen the conversion discussed here..........what are you guys using to remove the barrels on the 94s?

Thanks!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Changing the barrel on a Winchester 94

Post by Malamute »

This has come up several times in the past, with some very good info, though I don't have a link.

Some action wrenches for bolt actions can be flipped over to present two flat sides to work on a Winchester. Several important points. The bolt has to be open or removed, or it will be damaged, the extractor at the very least will be. The action much be grabbed at the farthest point forward allowed by the fore arm swells to avoid twisting the action walls.

It isn't that hard to do. Several guys had posted info and/or pics of their home made action wrenches. One was a couple pieces of flat stock steel with a couple bolts through it, one end of the steel stock long enough to be a handle. A barrel vise can be about as simple. Hardwood blocks, hole bored to the correct size, the blocks split, rosined, clamped in a simpler fixture. There were some other comments about simple ways to do that also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For my Marlin 1894 I used a pair of 4" oak floor boards about a yard long, with another overlapping, outer, pair about a foot long, bolted together with four 1/2" bolts and large washers, to clamp the action.

I used a bench-vise with aluminum 'AR-15' barrel wrench inserts to grab the barrel.

All went fine until in my over-confidence (first time changing a barrel other than on a 10/22), I had the bolt fully closed when I torqued in the new barrel.

Fortunately, I had a spare extractor... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Thanks guys I'll give it a whirl
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Here is my set up . 1/4 steel by 2 in wide. The action wrench is on the right, use cardboard between the receiver and the wrench so you don't scratch it. The barrel vise has one side longer to be clamped in a vise. I open the bolt just a little so the extractor is out of the barrel and leave it in to support the receiver when the action is tightened. With the barrel in the barrel vise and held by a bench vise . I take the big hammer and hit the action wrench handle like swinging a bat, repeat. A impact hit with free up the barrel quicker than alot of leverage. I also put Kroil on the barrel threads from the breach end for a couple days first. Keeping the barrel from spinning is the hardest part. Good Luck!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Putting rosin on the wood will keep the barrel from spinning.

Another way to do it is (if you are VERY CAREFUL) to put the action in the vice and clamp the barrel with the wrench.

I saw a product once that was kind of an epoxy metal that was used for casting custom bushings for barrel vises. You could do the same thing I suppose to cast a custom insert for an action wrench, so long as you were careful not to "lock" the epoxy into the receiver.

Also, if you have time, you could "fit" the wood blank block to the recever exactly the same way as you fit a stock or buttplate. Use inletting black, fit the wood, shave away. Eventually you will have a perfect fit for a receiver.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I completely disassemble the receiver and fit a precision piece of steel inside that goes all the way through from top to bottom and is backed up by aluminum shim stock to fill the opening full and tight before clamping the action wrench around it and tightening the bolts. The barrel vise has very hard Maple blocks closely fitted to the barrel and coated with powdered rosin.
You will find that those barrels are not `usually`all that tight and the replacements torque down and clock without any modification to them at all. Be sure to check head space when done though.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

In one of P.O. Ackley's books, he recommended two common items, for use as an action wrench, on leverguns:

A large Crescent Wrench:

...and a shipping tag:

...like this:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Hagler , I know that, and traded letters with P.O. back in the day. He was very helpful in answering my questions on a couple occasions. I don`t believe P.O. was of a very high regard for the lowly lever gun though and would make shortcuts whenever he could.
I tend to over engineer things and go way beyond what is actually needed just to "get-er-done". After all this is our hobby. When it`s done, then what are we gonna do?

I do have a 24" Crescent wrench though. It works great when adjusting Honda carburetors. :lol:
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Here's another suggestion, 12" woodworker's clamp, hardwood block and adjustable clamp in one:
12 inch hardwood clamp.jpg
Don't forget to use something like Kroil®

Mark :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.