So! Tell me about Yakima, WA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

So! Tell me about Yakima, WA

Post by Griff »

I'm broke down on the side of the road in Yakima, WA... Waiting on the tow truck... Looks like at LEAST one day in the shop... somebody forgot to tighten the nuts on my wheel bearings... I'm SO glad this is a warranty job!

But... what's there to see? Places to go... Hopefully be outta here on Tues. Morn. Blaine... I'll be a tad late for our lunch on Monday... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: So! Tell me about Yakima, WA

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, some great fly fishing in the Yakima River. Some parts of town where gangbangers make it very unsafe. Can't tell you much more.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Griff, some great fly fishing in the Yakima River. Some parts of town where gangbangers make it very unsafe. Can't tell you much more.
Motel's fronted by Outback Steakhouse... bar on the other side... so I figure I'm ok... I won't starve or go thirsty!

Cable TV so entertainment is good... all I have to find is a power cord for my laptop... thought I had a spare in my "overnight" bag... So much for "thinking"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Carried a load of transformers to the power co. there one time, could see the building but couldn't find the driveway, just round and round.
Had the receiver guy on the phone , he was justa laughing at me, he didnt realize the state had their road closed and dug out, so while we were talkin he said you can't see me I'm waving at you , l said yea I see ya watch this, I just turned that peterbilt tword him and took off, it was all funny when I pulled up to him.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

When I left there I loaded lumber at a place they call sisters mt or maybe 3 sisters.
That trip done my flat bed workin up.
Ain't unhooked from the cow trailer since.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you can get down to the south end of town, I always thought Miner's Burgers was pretty good.....You'd think there would be lots of good TexMex, but I've never found any....If I get over that way, I'll give you a buzz...I'm gonna ride SOMEdangWhere tomorrow.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Yaikima, huh?

seems like i spent a week there, one day.

good luck. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I had an uncle who owned an Apple orchard near Yakima. We used to hunt Pheasant
there. He also grew Jerusalem Artichokes to make alcohol to mix in fuel. He had one of the largest stills in WA.
We would send the dog into the Artichoke field(12-15' tall and impossible to walk through)and ringnecks by the hundreds would fly out.
Some of the best pass shooting I ever had.
Lots of the land around there is on the Yakima Indian Reservation and unmarked as such.
If caught hunting on the reservation without an Indian hunting license you could be in big do-do.
Enjoy your stay.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Make Blaine buy.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

Griff wrote:
Bill in Oregon wrote:Griff, some great fly fishing in the Yakima River. Some parts of town where gangbangers make it very unsafe. Can't tell you much more.
Motel's fronted by Outback Steakhouse... bar on the other side... so I figure I'm ok... I won't starve or go thirsty!

Cable TV so entertainment is good... all I have to find is a power cord for my laptop... thought I had a spare in my "overnight" bag... So much for "thinking"!
That would mean your at the bestwestern. Last time I stayed there they gave me a voucher for a free bloomin onion... That's about the only positive thing I can think of. Sorry, I kinda figure the best part of that town is about when you see it in the rearview mirror.
I heard a rumor once some time ago that Yakima is where all the missing socks end up. Don't know if its true or not. Good luck.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good news is that the last shop that worked on the front end is pickin' up the tab... 2 tow trucks, (1 for my tractor, 1 for the trailer), motel, new wheel bearings, and steering spindle. Even stopping when I first heard that weird noise was too late! Outer bearing race welded itself to the spindle... After the mechanic showed up and took photos showing that they hadn't properly folded over the locking tab in the outer bearing nut assy... they caved... love a national chain...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Glad they seen the error in their ways and you are just inconvenienced, and not out any money for it. I'm stuck in a hotel too, 'cept I'm in Chicago for work training for three days. Only been here a couple hours, but my skin is a crawlin already.
NRA Life Member
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Griff,
I grew up in Yakima.

Blain is right about the Miners Burger. It is an old school drive in located a block or so west of your location on south 1st street. Good (HUGE) burgers with all the trimmings, and great chocolate milk shakes.

Don't go into the neighborhoods north of Nob Hill Blvd. That's where I grew up and those were tough areas then, and I don't imagine that they are any better now. Last time I drove by the house I grew up in, there was a tall cyclone fence on both sides of the alley that completely cut off access to the alley from anyone's back yard. I guess it was to keep gang bangers from having access from the alleys to the streets and hiding in people's yards.

Good luck with the repairs. Lots of good produce to buy from the truck farms in the lower Valley towards Wapato and Toppenish.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Chuck, I killed my first ringneck with a very old Model 12 16 gauge in an asparagus field near Toppenish. Lyndon Johnson was president.
Griff, sorry you didn't get stuck in Ellensburg, a much sweeter town.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

geobru wrote:Blaine is right about the Miners Burger. It is an old school drive in located a block or so west of your location on south 1st street. Good (HUGE) burgers with all the trimmings, and great chocolate milk shakes.
Can't agree more! Whenever I happen to cross the mountains to Yakima, I ALWAYS stop and have a Miners burger.

A chocolate shake is a must.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Isnt there a Miners Burgers east of Toppenish also? There was a decent gun store with a indoor range
downstairs on the southwest corner of town.It was some time ago though.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AARRGGHHH! Another nite in the motel! Parts arrived, went back together slicker'n snot on a Louisiana swamp... until he went to check the alignment the front end!

As much as I hate to admit it... but it seems that first breakdown allowed me to catch this deal... This could have been bad... but catchin' it now, in the shop, is so much better than finding out about it while you're rollin' down the road at 70!

So again, thank the Lord for the skill and professionalism of a good mechanic!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!