Winchester 1895 .405 WCF!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1895 .405 WCF!

Post by Hombre »

This Winchester mod. 1895, caliber .405 WCF I bought yesterday. Even when I think the model 1895 is ugly if I compare with the model 1886 I could not resist this one.
Any opinons at all about this rifle should be very much appreciated. I belive the rear sight is not original.

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1895 .405 WCF!

Post by FatJackDurham »

They are a little lethal looking, arent they?
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I just read in wikipedia that teddy roosevelt used the 95 in 405. Thats a big stick!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

that is a very fine rifle and in the right caliber too! Congrats......
there is a range report in your future :wink: ...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

OOh! I like it. Always wanted a '95 especially in 405 but then I hear they kick the snot out of you. So I shoot a 45-90? Go figure.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That curved buttplate is gonna whup on ya..... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Hombre, nice find! & congratulations! I have highly recommend something also for that crescent butt plate. I have a Japchester that I removed my shotgun metal butt plate and installed a Limbsaver pad, nice! For your since it is original (or mostly) maybe a strap-on PAST shoulder saver?
I shoot mostly cast in mine at reduced velocity compared to factory Hornady. I use a LBT LN 300gr gas check and am pleased with it. Bigger is better for the most part on cast boolit diameter as long as it chambers fine. I don't recall what an original Winchester .405 barrel normally run but if you wanted to have a head start I'd at least recommend slugging the bore or better a throat impression.

Whatever you do, give us a range report and what you plan to use it for! Nice, glad you took it home.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hombre,
A 95 is a gun that has to "grow" on you. 40 years ago, I too, thought they were ugly. Now I think they are a sleek product with graceful lines.

Yours is an excellent example of a gun that was used, but not abused. I was told those guns were not allowed in Sweden, so you better hurry and send it to me......quick, before you forget.------6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of them is on my long-term wish-list. My Bighorn Armory 500 S&W is serving the role so far, though...

Link to post - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59895
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

An original! In the cool of the evening, when all is quiet and the day is slipping away, listen closely, as it will have some wonderful stories to tell to those who know how to listen.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Thank you very much all of you for your inputs. I really appreciate it!

This rifle I bought from an elderly man and he have been hunting with the guy who bought this 95 new. Soon after he bought it he took of the buttstock and made himself a new buttstock. Wonder why? :mrgreen: That buttstock should have been looking terrible. Fortunately he saved the original one which now is back on the rifle.

With this rifle I got a couple of boxes with Kynoch ammo. Anyone who knows if there is a big difference between the Kynoch made ammo and the original Winchester ammo?

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have one, but I watched someone who had one load it and then have a problem. There is a technique to loading them where you have the rim of the cases go in front of the rim of the case below it. If you don't, you will get a jam that is difficult to remove. Once the gentleman with the model 95 got the jam fixed, it worked perfectly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hombre,
Go ahead and use that ammo. It's loaded very similar to how Winchester loaded it.......full power with a 300 grain bullet traveling about 2200.

That baby is gonna bark! Save the brass----6
Model A Uzi’s
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I am not certain, but I would treat Kynoch as if it were corrosive surplus ammo. Yes, I would use it, but just be more diligent with your cleaning.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

M. M. Wright wrote:OOh! I like it. Always wanted a '95 especially in 405 but then I hear they kick the snot out of you. So I shoot a 45-90? Go figure.

They are no worse [ to me ] than shooting a 12 gauge. i would get a slip on leather recoil pad and use that over the buttplate.

i enjoy shooting mine. :D
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

[posted on wrong spot.]
cable
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Sixgun wrote:Hombre,

Save the brass----6

That Kynoch ammunition is Berdan primed. This shouldn't pose much of a problem for a Swedish shooter though.

Great rifle, Hombre. Have been taken with them ever since I read a story by Lucian Carey
in True, The Man's Magazine 60-odd years ago.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

FatJackDurham wrote:They are a little lethal looking, arent they?
I always think of them as military lever designs. The box magazine for a Winchester makes it a truly unique early design. My wish list has always had a spot for one in 303. I also think my 444 owes its existence to the 405 in some way. Waters claims these are classic American express cartridges. By that he means a big bore with high velocity mid weight bullets.
Last edited by Canuck Bob on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

FatJackDurham wrote:I just read in wikipedia that teddy roosevelt used the 95 in 405. Thats a big stick!
He referred to it as his "big medicine", and if I remember correctly it was his first choice for African lion hunting. As well as a pile of other stuff that bites, scratches and tramples.

That is a very nice gun in a very desirable chambering, and its in great shape for the age.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

Sixgun wrote:Hombre,
Go ahead and use that ammo. It's loaded very similar to how Winchester loaded it.......full power with a 300 grain bullet traveling about 2200.

That baby is gonna bark! Save the brass----6
I'd personally save that ammo because I like neat old stuff or at least sell it to some collector and use the proceeds to buy modern brass, bullets, or loaded ammo.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

457121 wrote:I'd personally save that ammo because I like neat old stuff or at least sell it to some collector and use the proceeds to buy modern brass, bullets, or loaded ammo.
457121, you have a good point there. I will be looking for brass with the correct caliber markings. I believe Hornady have it. If not, are there other companies out there making brass for the .405 WCF?

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Very nice old Winchester Hombre! Looks like it is no stranger to the hunt. ,,,DT
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Hombre, Old Western Scrounger has a loading on their site... might have the brass too.

http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php ... cts_id=176

Sorry, just looked and they are showing "0" in stock for the loaded cartridges.

Another option?

http://custombrassandbullets.com/8691.html
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I was shooting a friend's new Browning 95 in .405 a couple of years ago. Hornady factory ammo so brass ought to be available. Potent stuff, flattened the primers against the bolt face, 3330 ft-lbs if I remember correctly.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good Morning
An original 405 1895 would be a real nice rifle to have available to go out and use hunting or just bashing dents in steel targets. Should you ever grow tired of it I would happily energize your condition by removing the culprit.
Mike in ILLinois till November
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

I have been ordering brass but I could not wait until I should get it so I took two cartridges and pulled the trigger and that was just WONDERFUL. Crescent buttplate, no problem at all.
Okey, my first choice should not be to shoot it in a bench but I shall try that also. :shock:

It is a wonderful rifle to shoot with and I like the power.
Sixgun wrote:A 95 is a gun that has to "grow" on you. 40 years ago, I too, thought they were ugly. Now I think they are a sleek product with graceful lines.
Sixgun, I believe you are right on the spot.

Thank you guys, for all your inputs. I really appreciate it!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden