Which 86 would you guys keep?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Which 86 would you guys keep?

Post by Walker »

After going through Dad's stuff (certified packrat, even found some of his old toys) my brother and I swore not to put any family member through that when we go. My brother was an Army medevac pilot and doesn't want them or any other firearm for now. I've got no kids and my cousin's boy is the only hunter in the next generation, so I'm thinking of letting all but one 1886 go.

All of the old winchesters have been well used. The Browning src may not have been fired.

1886 lightweight 33wcf made in 1907 I think. Drilled and tapped for Redfield #102.

1886 45-90wcf old parts gun made in 1888

Browning 86 src 45-70

1886 Sporting rifle 33wcf takedown

So, which one would you guys hold onto?

Thanks,

Terry
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Which 86 would you guys keep?

Post by Lassiter »

Which one was your dad's favorite?..................
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Dad never needed anything but his 30-30, I've picked these up over the last 20 years.

I should add, my dad's and his father's guns are being held for my brother's boy whether he hunts or not.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Please accept our condolances for your & your Brother's loss. :cry:

I'm very partial to that .45-70 - I especially appreciate the wood, but would lose the rubber bumper. :)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's not like there are 200 guns...keep em all and will them out.

If you insist, narrow it down to two and keep the 33 with the full length mag. It's the most collectible. Add the Browning for extreme dependability.

Take the original Marbles off of the 45-90 and stick it on the 33

The 45-90 looks like a nice gun also and the Redfield on the half mag 33 is a contemporary alternation.

Like I said, keep em all and I'll PM you my specifics so you can will them to me :D

Don't forget, the guys who dies with the most toys is the winner.-----6

Did I make it easier for you? :D
Model A Uzi’s
Neil Casper
Levergunner

Post by Neil Casper »

I like the src .45-70. But the .45-90 is also talking to me.

I reconsidered, keep them all and shoot them.
neil
If it doesn't fit in my sea bag, I'm not going!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm w/sixgun... but would keep the TD and the Browning.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I would keep any one of them. I'll send you my address and I promise to keep it. :D

Which one do YOU lean toward keeping most?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Personally, I'd keep both the Browning and the .45-90.

That said, I'd pick the Browning over the .45-90 if I had to.

But dang, that .45-90 is a handsome firearm.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:It's not like there are 200 guns...keep em all and will them out.

:D
I'm with 6 on this ---- i mean, what are you going to realize out of selling a couple off? 4 or 5 grand? Woo Hoo ---- anybody's old lady can absolutely blow through that in a long weekend to Jamaica or Hawaii ---- then what do you have? ---- Nothing --- absolutely nothing

Its sad when you break it down to dollars and cents how little these are worth vs. what the proceeds actually can buy --- but here i go again, --- if you drop a transmission in your 7 year old 4x4 -- boom, there's another 3500 bucks

Sure , selling a couple of these beautiful firearms would cover it, but then their gone forever, and all you have is a rebuilt tranny in a vehicle you now hate and wouldnt drive across the state for fear of something else grenading on you

------ face it , you didnt hit the lottery - the proceeds from the sale of these is not going to appreciably affect your quality of life (what're ya gonna do, put in a pool? - better add 10 more of those for sale to even get a good start ) , but you have some darn nice rifles -- and a lot of us levergun hounds would love to have even one of them

LEst you get the impression that im trying to minimalize the value of your dad's guns, i'm not -- i'm just saying that after their sold and the pie gets divided a couple of times --- the amount of money left amounts to a couple of good weekends working overtime

Keep them, shoot them, appreciate them - after all, they're Winchesters. Its not like you got stuck with a box full of Marlins and beater single shot .22's :)
----- Doug
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

33wcf TD then the 45-90. Would have to keep two.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Streetstar,
You sure put that into proper perspective as in the 4 or 5 g's you would get but the guns are gone forever.

It's amazing how a woman can go through a pile full of money and have nothing to show for.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

And you guys didn't even mention the spending capabilities of in-laws...

Six, you're always a big help, now I'm looking around for a spot for another safe.

Pete, appreciate the thought; no matter what you've been through in life you're just never ready to have your Dad in a wheelchair holding onto your hand like it's his last connection on this earth.

Guys, what if I took that money and had another front end made for the takedown? Mr. Hunter could do it easy.

I really want to thank you all for the suggestions.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Brother, if those were my Dad's I'd keep them all. Unless one of the kids or grandkids were bleeding and then I'd sell them all if I had to. Who knows, your brother may change his mind later. My Dad's favorite rifle was an old Stevens .22 pump. It's in the safe and going nowhere until after I'm gone.

Sure some fine rifles.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My condolences to you.

I wouldn't sell any of them until I'd at least shot them. Sometimes a rifle that doesn't look like much to you turns into a favorite after a couple slugs down the pipe.
Also, as Six said, the altered guns can be parts swapped around until you come up with something cool.
I'd keep the Browning just because it's in very nice shape and can always be relied on to become a "working" rifle.
The takedown looks pretty straight and original so that's a no-brainer.

I very rarely sell an old Winchester, regardless of condition.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

The only way I would sell one of those rifles is if my wife and I were starving (not figuratively but fer real!). You could have them packaged, and stowed somewhere and they won't take up too much room. I wonder, do you know what you really have? A bunch of rifles? Nope, you have real life history...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

mikld wrote:The only way I would sell one of those rifles is if my wife and I were starving (not figuratively but fer real!). You could have them packaged, and stowed somewhere and they won't take up too much room. I wonder, do you know what you really have? A bunch of rifles? Nope, you have real life history...
+1!
Several years ago, same scenario with my father. May God bless you and your loved ones in your loss.

As for getting rid of any of the firearms: I HATE that we got rid of most of the great old firearms and the memories attached. He had matching pump guns in 16, 20, and 12 Gauge Magnum; a wonderful .270, and a cool (old) pump .22 LR, all of which provided game for me and others when we were younger and had time to play. Then all of us had obligations, work, no time to enjoy the great outdoors for any length of time as city slickers with families.

By the way, as a recently discharged Viet Nam vet, I wasn't keen on keeping any extra guns other than duty weapons in my law enforcement job, during the time that my father passed on. The same as your brother. But as time progressed and I rediscovered the joy of shooting for fun and then took up reloading, I wished that I had kept Dad's guns. Once gone always gone.

If I were forced to keep two, however, I would keep the great ol' engraved 33wcf and the 45-90 - two cool and unique calibers that you don't easily find these days in the true old guns. Like the memories you carry of your dad, these speak by themselves of great times gone by. Even if one or more of the other firearms might fetch more money, the difference is insignificant compared to the "cool" uniqueness of the first two, from where I stand.

45-90 - just too cool to lose.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I really like the 45-90 but I already have one. I traded off a short barreled Browning 86 a few months ago and then realized it was the last 45-70 I had so maybe the SRC. But hey, they're all 86s so keep 'em all.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

IMO, keep them all for at least a year....No hurried decisions that you might regret. I'm sorry for your loss :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

JohndeFresno wrote:
mikld wrote:The only way I would sell one of those rifles is if my wife and I were starving (not figuratively but fer real!). You could have them packaged, and stowed somewhere and they won't take up too much room. I wonder, do you know what you really have? A bunch of rifles? Nope, you have real life history...
+1!
Several years ago, same scenario with my father. May God bless you and your loved ones in your loss.

As for getting rid of any of the firearms: I HATE that we got rid of most of the great old firearms and the memories attached. He had matching pump guns in 16, 20, and 12 Gauge Magnum; a wonderful .270, and a cool (old) pump .22 LR, all of which provided game for me and others when we were younger and had time to play. Then all of us had obligations, work, no time to enjoy the great outdoors for any length of time as city slickers with families.

By the way, as a recently discharged Viet Nam vet, I wasn't keen on keeping any extra guns other than duty weapons in my law enforcement job, during the time that my father passed on. The same as your brother. But as time progressed and I rediscovered the joy of shooting for fun and then took up reloading, I wished that I had kept Dad's guns. Once gone always gone.

If I were forced to keep two, however, I would keep the great ol' engraved 33wcf and the 45-90 - two cool and unique calibers that you don't easily find these days in the true old guns. Like the memories you carry of your dad, these speak by themselves of great times gone by. Even if one or more of the other firearms might fetch more money, the difference is insignificant compared to the "cool" uniqueness of the first two, from where I stand.

45-90 - just too cool to lose.

I like that engraved one too--- i know it has a story or two (or twenty) to tell if it could
----- Doug
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The last one the .33 Sporting Rifle calls to Me, I would sell the top three and use the $$ to get the Sporting Rifle restored. it would be a real head turner.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Never sell family guns unless they were just capital/investment to the family member "using guns" are a part of their memory, I can remember my papa wing shooting pheasants with his ithaca 37 12 ga and my grandma taking out chicken hawks in a dive with her win 37 410. The value of the gun doesnt matter it can be a bb gun or a pristine henry its the memory of the adventures of your family member while carrying the firearm. Keep them all. danny
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Sorry to hear of your loss; I know what you are talking about, going through all the things.

I really like that 45-90. That is a beautiful gun. If you really feel you have to get rid of guns, I suppose the ones that would go (if I was able) would be the ones that had the least memories attached.

I do not have the strength, and I would keep all of them, and did keep all of the guns inherited from Dad. I think of him and feel in touch with him in a small way, and think of how he would have used something that I was holding.

Too easy to sell the guns, but you will never get the same ones back. Especially (in a manner of speaking) the more unique pieces. They don't take up much room, and are irreplaceable, as far as history goes.

If you absolutely have to sell, I would sell them to a close friend for a price that he could not refuse, but as a condition, have him promise to give you first option to rebuy them if he ever decides to sell. And if you miss them, you could go for a visit.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Guys, appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.

Terry
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I'd keep the top 33WCF. Who did the wood carving? Wish that one could talk. Sorry about your father. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I don't know who did the checkering but it must have been way back. That lightweight carries nice. I hunted it a couple of years ago but didn't get a chance at a mulie.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Are these rifles you have collected and you want to simplify, or are these guns you inherited from your father?
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Hold on to them, my greatest regret is that my dad sold two rifles he and my grandfather and myself hunted with our whole lives and then sold them in a garage sale. You will regret getting rid of them. They are treasures.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks guys for all of the advice, but these are rifles I've picked up over the last 20 years. Dad would never spend money on an 1886; his model 94 did everything he needed. Going through Dad's things made me take a look at what I actually use.

Currently planning on keeping the takedown for certain. Since nothing around here really requires a 45-70 to put down, unsure about the Browning, but the other two are moving on.

Thanks again,

Terry
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

The choice is certainly yours to make. For some reason, I would keep the top one, the 33 Win lightweight, short magazine, peep sight and all. It just follows my tastes.