Winchester 03

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Winchester 03

Post by gamekeeper »

I was talking to my landlord today about guns and he said he had his fathers rifle that he used in WW1, his father flew fighter planes and carried his Winchester 03 in the open cock pit and actually shot at the enemy planes with it!
Well, the rifle was condemned by a gunsmith as being beyond repair :shock: so I asked if I could see it.
It looked in good condition but had a couple of burst .22 long shells in a plastic bag attached to the trigger guard, I said it should not be used with anything but .22 Automatic ammo which is hard to come by, so he looks in his ammo store and comes up with a few boxes of Winchester .22 Automatic ammo and asks me if I'll take a look at it :D
The mag tube was filthy where blow back from the wrong shells had blasted soot everywhere, so a good clean and I thought load her up and let rip, no go, the cartridge cut off was not letting the cartridge go past to chamber but was letting it go far enough to jam the bolt.
Now I don't know much about the 03 but I thought it might be a weak spring in the cartridge cut off. I took it apart and the little spring did feel weak, I cleaned and oiled it but it made no difference.
The rifle fired and ejected fine in single shot mode but jammed if any cartridges were in the mag tube, has anyone here had a similar problem with this model?
Numrich have the spring @$5.20 but are sold out on the cut off.
Any advice would be appreciated.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 03

Post by jdad »

I see you went over to RFC....smart move. Jerry (22AGS) and a half dozen others take these apart on a daily basis since they're so bored in retirement. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I don't do nostalgia, it is not part of me.
I would LOVED to see that Englishman shooting at German planes with that thing.
What a hoot!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Mescalero wrote:I don't do nostalgia, it is not part of me.
I would LOVED to see that Englishman shooting at German planes with that thing.
What a hoot!
A bit more information,Wing Commander G. H. Lewis DFC flew a S.E.5a called The Artful Dodger, he shot down 12 enemy planes and according to his son, (my landlord,) he used his Winchester 03 when his Lewis gun jammed.
Last edited by gamekeeper on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Amazing!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

A lot of folks don't know it, but in the early days of WW1 aircraft weren't armed & were mostly used for observation. Pilots used to just wave at each other. Then, they started carrying pistols & rifles to shoot at each other, just to make it interesting. One of my college buddies had a Colt Army Special in 32-20 that his grandfather used to shoot down a German. He said it had a flatter trajectory than a 45ACP, and gave him a range advantage! Imagine flying wing tip to wing tip and shooting at each other, while riding along in a canvas framed aircraft - what fun! :o
Merle from PA
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

We have an '03 inherited from my father in law. It shoots flawlessly and is a fun little rifle.
I had re blued and the stock refinished 40 years ago and it still looks like new.
You will enjoy the rifle once you get to function correctly.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

crs wrote:We have an '03 inherited from my father in law. It shoots flawlessly and is a fun little rifle.
I had re blued and the stock refinished 40 years ago and it still looks like new.
You will enjoy the rifle once you get to function correctly.
Can you still get .22 Automatic ammo for it ? I've seen conflicting reports of availability.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, we just got some of the .22 Auto ammo. I think it was made by Aguila but don't have a box here to verify.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for glimpse in the past! Don't know anything about the '03, but have a question. Does a "gunsmith certified" non-functioning rifle count against the number allowed in a personal battery? Correct my assumption if wrong.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hobie wrote:Yes, we just got some of the .22 Auto ammo. I think it was made by Aguila but don't have a box here to verify.

It is definitely available......not cheap, but about half of what people had been paying.
http://www.luckygunner.com/22-win-auto- ... -50-rounds
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

What a great piece of history!! Hope you get it up and running!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Griff wrote:Thanks for glimpse in the past! Don't know anything about the '03, but have a question. Does a "gunsmith certified" non-functioning rifle count against the number allowed in a personal battery? Correct my assumption if wrong.

Where do you live that you have a personal count?
FWIW, my opinion would be "no". :?
Merle from PA
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Merle wrote:
Griff wrote:Thanks for glimpse in the past! Don't know anything about the '03, but have a question. Does a "gunsmith certified" non-functioning rifle count against the number allowed in a personal battery? Correct my assumption if wrong.
Where do you live that you have a personal count?
FWIW, my opinion would be "no". :?
None where I live, but there is in "Merry Ol' England," unless I'm mistaken.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If a firearm is permanently deactivated and has been deemed so by the Proof House and duly stamped anyone can own it with no restriction other than carrying it in a public place.
Because of our restrictive gun laws in the UK deactivated firearms are popular with collectors, it makes me weep when I see rare old or good quality modern firearms butchered because our government does not trust us to own them in usable condition.