Dragnet ....... The Jack Webb kind

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Dragnet ....... The Jack Webb kind

Post by J Miller »

When I got sick last year and spent the week in the hospital they had the oldies TV channel available.
I got hooked again on the old Dragnet shows as well as others.

Once out of confinement I was still relegated to the chair in the front room because I couldn't walk very good. So I found MeTV. And Dragnet. I watched all the episodes of the 1967 to 1970 Dragnet TV series at least twice.
I also checked IMDB and found out that there is two Dragnet TV series with Jack Webb and 2 feature length movies of Dragnet also with Jack Webb that I had never seen. I don't count the recent remakes they were second rate at best.

I've never seen the 1951-to 1959 Dragnet series. I was born in 52 so that's my excuse.
I'd never seen the 1954 movie until today.
And I've never seen the 1966 movie either that I can remember.

Today I was scrolling around and found the 1954 movie Cozi TV. I recognized Jack Webb's voice before I recognized his face. He looked like he was 25 years old. And this movie had Richard Boone as a LAPD Captain and he didn't look like Boone. The only clues was the voice and that big honkin honker.
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Although I did get a couple laughs out of the way they portrayed the police handling some of the arrest scenes. Compared to today there was no similarity. No SWAT teams, no constant gun play and not one shoot out. And Friday carried a 38 snubbie.

Now I want to find the 1951-1959 series and the 1967 movie. If for no other reason than to see the old American Detroit iron driving around. Oh and round headlights.

Oh, and not one cell phone, smart phone, I-pad, computer, video surveillance monitor, federal agency or anything else modern. Very refreshing for an anachronism like me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Dragnet ....... The Jack Webb kind

Post by piller »

Those were shows where they knew how to entertain with good acting and good scripts. Explosions and loots of shootouts were not needed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Another thing you didn't see in those old shows was the constant friction and antagonism between the main characters as a secondary plot like the shows today.
Friday and Gannon, Malloy and Reed, and others had a lot of friendly joking going on, but the characters showed respect and obedience to their superior officers.
Not like today's shows.

I need to go back in time. Things (even television) were better then.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I watched the original shows, back in the day, I thought Webb's dialogue stilted.

I thought Boone's "Have Gun, Will Travel" was one of best dramas (if not THE best) on television - MUCH better than watching Uncle Miltie or Groucho....... :roll:

But, then - What did I know ? (I was only a teenager)

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Joe,

Did you notice that those "Jack Webb" TV shows (including EMERGENCY!) all ahd the cooperation of the departments that are portrayed in the shows? Those series were excellent recruitment tools, too.

By the way, I'll bet that today's kids think that this square, glowing item, between Reed & Malloy, is a laptop computer:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

If you think the 's "Dragnet" TV shows are good you ought to listen to the radio shows. Jack Webb portrayed the police in a very positive light and showed the public just how hard they worked. OBTY where were a whole series of "Dragnet" novels too. It was a very popular franchise and the theme music was great too.
Last edited by Hawkeye2 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hagler wrote:Joe,

Did you notice that those "Jack Webb" TV shows (including EMERGENCY!) all ahd the cooperation of the departments that are portrayed in the shows? Those series were excellent recruitment tools, too.

By the way, I'll bet that today's kids think that this square, glowing item, between Reed & Malloy, is a laptop computer:

Shawn
EMS (Ambulance Service) would not be where it is today without "Emergency" - as lame as it (now) is.

There was no such thing as EMTs/EMS until the late 60's/early 70's, and that it exists at all is a testament to "good marketing"...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Dragnet was one of my favorites in the 50s I even had a Joe Friday cap gun!
M Squad with Lee Marvin was also on TV over here at the same time.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Thread drift ahead :o
The clapper caper :

http://youtu.be/sKGtb1t9iVw
Phil
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have "The Clapper Caper" on my hard drive. How Jack Webb kept a straight face while doing a skit with Johnny Carson is beyond me. Two of entertainments greats right there.

Thread drift: Another Jack Webb movie is "The DI". I haven't seen it in years, but it's an impressively good movie to my memory.

Joe
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Get well soon.

If you are satisfied with watching shows and movies on your PC, here's a copy of what the poster describes as the 1966 movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61Wr5Vh-c8o

The early TV series shows are posted all over You Tube, with varying resolution. I find 240dpi a bare minimum, 360dpi is OK, and 480dpi is usually good enough.

Here's one playlist with 44 episodes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdvwDa2l ... 5907C03E16

And here is the write-up from IMdb for the 51-59 series: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043194/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_10

Don't strain your eyes :shock:
Mark :lol:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jack Could... Johnny had a harder time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-aRER7ssUo :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mark,

I'm still on a very slow dial up so I can't watch anything like that. It takes this thing a half hour to download a 30 second U-tube video.

Joe