Cleaning up a Lubrisizer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Cleaning up a Lubrisizer

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My RCBS is a filthy, gummy old mess, partly because it came that way used, partly becuase I run soft BP lubes such as SPG or homemade, and partly because I never had a manual for it, so it is likely out of adjustment. I figure I can find a manual online, but though I would ask some of the veteran caster here how you keep your lubrisizer clean and humming along. I figured I would just take it apart and melt out the old lube with the very judicious use of a propane torch, but mebbe y'all haves a better idea.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Cleaning up a Lubrisizer

Post by markinalpine »

Either put in on a baking sheet on some old newspaper and place it in an oven at VERY LOW (150 - 175 Degree F) setting, or put it in a saucepan and boil it in water for 20 minutes or so.

I've used both methods with mine to clean it the first time I used it (baking sheet) and to change lube (boiling.)

Mark :idea:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The boiling is a good tip and what I've done a couple of times in the past. Don't forget to include the dies too as they hold quite a bit of lube. Just take it out of the water and blow it dry with compressed air, then hose it down with WD-40.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, looks like I am off to St. Vincent's for a beatup old kettle or canner then ...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Cleaning is why I have two lubri-sizers... one for smokeless lube & one for SPG. But, I do clean them about once every couple of years... the Saeco with it's SPG a little more often. Since I'm only using the one lube per machine, I don't boil them, I just wipe 'em off and keep the outside good.

Be sure to remove any O-rings and seals when boiling them. Oh yeah... don't forget to re-install the O-rings/seals when you reassemble it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have six RCBS Lube-A-Matic lubrisizers, two for homemade black powder lube, two for 50/50 lube, and two for harder pistol bullet lube. I try to keep them clean by wiping down the outside occasionally with a rag dampened with WD 40, which does a good job of cleaning off dust and excess lube. If a full lube change-out is required, I remove the threaded plunger and sizer die, suspend the Lubrisizer upside down on a piece of wire and carefully apply modest heat with a hand-held propane torch. Care must be taken to keep the torch in motion so as not to burn the paint.

Here is a link to instructions for the RCBS Lube-A-Matic:

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructi ... ctions.pdf

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Like others here I boiled mine a few months ago. Then after I dried it off I sprayed it with undiluted Simple Green. That baby came out like new. Now it looks like it did before I boiled it.

Why bother, unless your selling it.--------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Heat gun or hair dryer work well.

Cat
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My RCBS Lube-a-Matic started leaking around the bottom of the die area and got worse over a couple of years of use. I sent it back to RCBS and a few days later a brand new one was setting on my porch. I have cleaned it out only once in years. I used a paint stir stick to clean the main tube and pop sickle sticks (some modified with a pocket knife ) to dig out the lower end of it.
It only gets NRA formula Alox 50/50 lube for smokeless since and any BP lubes I use get pan lubed and pushed through Lee sizers. Simple is better.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You're sposed to clean 'em? Say WHAT!?!?! Hmmmm, well I've had my Lube-A-Matic II since the 70s and it's never been cleaned. Well one time I hosed the outside with Simple Green and wiped it off.

Seriously, I'll bet it wouldn't work if I melted all the old lube out, cleaned it up and refilled it with fresh lube. It would probably leak out on the floor.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Shasta wrote:I have six RCBS Lube-A-Matic lubrisizers....

SHASTA
Ahhh, the sign of a true addict :D

If a person loads frequently for multiple calibers, having more than one lubrasizer sure beats changing out dies and top punchs, as well as lube. I keep my soft lubes in an old Lyman 450 and my harder lubes in my new 4500 with the heater.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am coming to the conclusion that I may need at least one more to contain the harder stuff for smokeless.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I have two. One I use for rifle (mostly .311) and the other for pistol. They both run the same lube, LARs 2500.

Cat
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I use the propane torch method.

I loosen the two mounting bolts and put shim at the rear so the sizer tilts forward.

Remove the guts from both ends and apply gentle heat, I place a container at the bottom in the front to catch the lube.

Maybe 30 minutes from start to back in business.

---------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!