Winter in Mission, Texas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Winter in Mission, Texas

Post by oldgerboy »

About the first week in August wifie and I will leave home in Central Pennsylvania, head west to spend a month in Oregon, and then on to Mission, Texas for the winter from November 1st to end of April. I have not been very active here for the past couple years but have lurked in the background so ... I always have a few "lever toys" with me the past winters in Florida and hope that some type of hunting or range shooting will be available to me in that area at that time. Meeting any of you from that area would be a definite plus.
This winter I'll have my Henry .22 rf carbine, Marlin 30-30 (might be Ackleyized by then), Rossi .357 carbine, and my 218 Rimless Bee bolt gun with me. Yes, I realize that I need to come up with a 219 Zipper or something like that and I should have my 444 Marlin but not this year.
Whatever info or communication you can give me so that the "toys" don't become stale would be very welcome.
Thanks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Winter in Mission, Texas

Post by Blaine »

8) It's really good to see you pop in...don't be a stranger.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Some time around the end of August we should be traveling through Washington. If we can get any where close to you I'll PM you and get together for grub.
A few years ago I met in Harrisburg, PA with a couple of fine gentlemen from the forum. Wifie and I are fortunate we can do the traveling we do. I'd like to run into as many of us as I can.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

oldgerboy wrote:Some time around the end of August we should be traveling through Washington. If we can get any where close to you I'll PM you and get together for grub.
A few years ago I met in Harrisburg, PA with a couple of fine gentlemen from the forum. Wifie and I are fortunate we can do the traveling we do. I'd like to run into as many of us as I can.
I should be here....I'm hopefully taking off for a couple weeks on the motorcycle in July, and a couple months in the Van after Labor Day....I'm always up for a couple hours ride when you get close.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

oldgerboy - good to see you posting again. Have a wonderful trip. Glad to read you'll be packing along some defense while down in Mission TX. Been watching the news lately, I see.
Have a fun trip and winter vacation.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Actually we are doing what I had a posting about 6 or7 years ago ... RV travel. The past two winters we have wintered in Florida on the gulf side. We've met a lot of great people. Shot a hog with my 357 Rossi ... second one with it ... and did a bunch of fishing. At the one campground we were, at 64, about the youngest there. The number of "toys" there could have held off a small invasion. Most of the folks were from Wisconsin and Michigan. The 10 months we will be out will be the longest for us.
And yes, I will definitely have a number of defensive "toys" with me.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I spent one full October in Mission. I was finally able to shoot some Chacalacas, and javelina. I was at a ranch across from the State Veteran's Cemetery. Every time a motorcade went by and the trumpets played I got a lump in my throat. Lots of neat flowers and butterflies. Mission is a nice place!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Motels r cheap in the summer, all the Snow Birds r gone. I used to work in May and June in La Joya which if I remember correctly is about 20 miles. Stayed in the Valencia Motel on west hwy 83. I haven't been there since 1983. The company I worked for had a Packing House in Mission then moved out on the farm in La Joya. Banworth Inc. was big outfit, They packed Honeydews,Cantaloupes,Onions and Bell Peppers. I loved the weather, it totally agreed with Me. I always said that if I were to live somewhere else that would be one of My choices.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What part o' Oregon, sir?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If you venture across the river into Reynosa, El Mancion is an excellent high-end restaurant. (Just ignore the guy selling dogs across the street).
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Not sure where in Oregon or Washington yet.
Just got a second dog in Florida last February. In addition to the Shih Tsu that used to ride in a backpack on my Sportster we have a terrifying, dangerous, derivative of a wolf ... silver and black, 6.2 pound toy Poodle ... WOW!!!!
I will look for that 86er. Last year we were able to update my uncle's file at the Army Air Force museum. He was a navigator in a B17, shot down over Belgium and made his escape into spain.
A few other folks my wife talks to by computer also have said how great the Mission area and it's weather was.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

New Bloomfield? You hang around the Mainville gunclub?-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Howdy Sixgun ... It's New Bloomfield, in Perry County, northwest of Harrisburg ... I'm the treasurer of the New Bloomfield Sportsmen's Assoc ... There's a Bloomfield around the Philly area I think but I'm not there