The truth is ignored about the Oregon school shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

The truth is ignored about the Oregon school shooting

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Remember how the NRA said the cure for school shootings was armed personnel on school grounds; armed teachers or armed security or both?

Active shooter situations is something I have studied and something we have offered training for. So I can take descriptions of what happened and kind of see how the thing played out.

When I started to read about this shooting on Oregon, I immediately was struck with two things - the response time was way too fast for officers outside the school to have responded, and the news reports were carefully worded to make it seem that officers responded from outside the school, without directly saying it.

I told my wife that this was not officers going to the school to respond, but SROs who were AT the school responding. Sure enough, that information has slipped out, though the last I saw, the major news companies are still not mentioning it.

Seems to me that the presence of armed personnel, who, according to the hype, only "endanger the children," because "bringing a gun on school property only makes children less safe," probably saved a lot of lives.

I wonder what the average response time is for police in that community? The SROs responded in less than a minute.

So we have school resource officers ho heard two gun shots and reached the scene in less than a minute, causing the shooter to flee into a bathroom where he shot himself as one of the SROs fired at him.

The media would have us to believe that the teacher who was shot ran and called 911. Police were dispatched and arrived at the school where they entered and looked for the shooter. Meanwhile, for unknown reasons, the shooter "made his way from the locker room to a bathroom" where he hid and then shot himself when the police finally found him.

There is lots of talk about how the NRA and American gun owners caused this crime, by preventing the banning of guns, but not a word about the fact that it was the presence of armed personnel at the school that stopped the shooting in less than one minute.

I suppose that is expected from the same politicians and media that ridiculed the NRA for suggesting such a thing.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The truth is ignored about the Oregon school shooting

Post by FWiedner »

The truth is never of benefit when a politcal agenda is at stake.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Will we ever read or hear about any toxicology tests on this kid? Is this another case of "Ritalin Rage?"

Mark :?:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

7.62 Precision wrote: ...
When I started to read about this shooting on Oregon, I immediately was struck with two things - the response time was way too fast for officers outside the school to have responded...
Yes - I was really perplexed about this!
http://www.levergunscommunity.com
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

7.62 Precision wrote: ...When I started to read about this shooting on Oregon...the response time was way too fast for officers outside the school to have responded...
Yes - I was perplexed about this!
7.62 Precision wrote: ...I told my wife that this was not officers going to the school to respond, but SROs who were AT the school responding. Sure enough, that information has slipped out, though the last I saw, the major news companies are still not mentioning it....
Wow. George Orwell was right, once again.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

7.62 Precision wrote:
The media would have us to believe that the teacher who was shot ran and called 911. Police were dispatched and arrived at the school where they entered and looked for the shooter. Meanwhile, for unknown reasons, the shooter "made his way from the locker room to a bathroom" where he hid and then shot himself when the police finally found him.
That's pretty strange because the involvement of on site SROs was announced at the local news conference at 5:00 PM on the day of the incident.

Troutdale school resource Officers Nick Thompson and Kyle Harris were at Reynolds High School when Tuesday's shooting occurred, Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton said.

"As soon as this happened, they were there in less than a minute," Staton said. "Had they not been there, it could have been a lot worse."

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index ... aj-story-1
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Bruce Scott wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:
That's pretty strange because the involvement of on site SROs was announced at the local news conference at 5:00 PM on the day of the incident.

Troutdale school resource Officers Nick Thompson and Kyle Harris were at Reynolds High School when Tuesday's shooting occurred, Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton said.

"As soon as this happened, they were there in less than a minute," Staton said. "Had they not been there, it could have been a lot worse."

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index ... aj-story-1
Exactly, only a couple local and a few conservative news sources have ever mentioned it. If you are not local, or dig for it, you will not see this information.

You know that all the major news organizations as well as the politicians who are ranting about this shooting had this information from the beginning.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My fear with all this is that although I'd rather have my kid at a school where there was an officially-armed 'resource officer' (or whoever) there, than at a gun-free school, it won't be long before the turds who do these things will simply locate those often readily-identifiable individuals, and neutralize them first, then go on their suicidal-spree-of-glory. At least it will make it harder and some certainly won't manage to pull it off, but ideally, a school should be like the rest of normal society - a place where you don't know who is armed, but you assume somewhere between 5% and 15% of the adults may indeed be armed at any given time. In Indiana, something like 400,000 CCW licensees are among the 6,000,000 or so residents, so if you just look at 'adults' who are out-and-about in public, it is a reasonable assumption that at least one of every twenty, if not one of every ten, may be a sheepdog instead of a sheep*.

(* Unless, of course, you are at a school, airport, post office, or workplace like a large corporation or hospital - all the places where these things seem to be more likely to happen... :roll: )

I wonder what percentages are for the reason they don't happen in those places:
  • a) because the would-be killer avoids places where someone may shoot back,

b) because when they DO happen elsewhere, they are simply stopped before anything becomes newsworthy, or

c) because we've picked the very places such killers tend to act, and made them gun-free.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "