Winchester 38/55 range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Winchester 38/55 range report

Post by KirkD »

Things went well at work this morning, so over the lunch hour I figured I'd make a quick trip down to the range to celebrate. I'm supposed to start practicing with my 1959 Model 94 30-30, but when I went to reload last night, I realized I was out of IMR 3031. So today, I grabbed my old Winchester 1894 38-55 octagon-barrelled rifle. The serial number is 74059 which, according to Madis, puts it at 1896. However, as has been revealed, Madis's numbers are badly off for the Model 1894 during this period. The factory records indicate that this rifle was actually recieved in the warehouse on the 24th of November, 1899 and shipped the following September 28th, 1900. That's a long time to be in the warehouse. Anyway, here's a photo of the old girl:

Load: 18 grains of 5744 and 1/2 sheet of 1-ply toilet paper under a 255 grain bevel base bullet with a BHN of 7 (half ww and half pure lead) sized to .379.

Brass: Some loads were done with the old, long brass, in this case Dominion. The other loads were done with the modern short brass from Winchester.

First Five Shots: 100 yards, short brass, forearm on a padded rest.
Photo of the target is shown below. My bore is .381 but the bullets are sized to .379. They seem to be soft enough to bump up reasonably well. A bevel base cast bullet isn't the greatest in my opinion. I've got a custom 38/55 mould being made by Veral Smith ( http://www.lbtmoulds.com/ )

Second Five Shots:100 yards, long brass, forearm on a padded rest
The longer brass consistently gives me poorer groups for some reason. They continued to do so today. Here's the target:

Third Five Shots: 100 yards, free-standing, offhand, long brass
I then decided to try some offhand shooting at 100 yards. Here's the result:

Final Eleven Shots: 100 yards, free standing, offhand, mixed brass, two sets of shots
Feeling confident after the previous offhand target, I squeezed five more off and walked down range to see the result. Pretty bad (they are labelled 'A' on the target). I knew why this set of shots was bad .... with increased confidence came less attention paid to a the sight picture when I squeezed off the shot. I left the target up and headed back to the line to shoot my remaining 6 shots. This time, I concentrated on the sight picture, and got some improvement. This second batch are labelled 'B' on the target. As you can see, I still need a lot of practice. I was sorely tempted not to post this last target but my conscience wouldn't let me hide it, so here it is!

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's nothin', beats a well-mannered, purty lady ta have lunch with, IMHO ! :P :P :P
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Once again thank you very much for sharing. Your honesty has a lesson for all of us Sir.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a beauty. I'd be tickled with groups like that. :D
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Sounds to me like a good way to have lunch.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk that rifle is a real beauty,a long slender Winchester rifle is a fine thing.It looks like your groups are shrinking down to minute of deer.
I am working with 5744 and cast with the 32-20.It does show some promise.I think it will work for CAS shooting.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

That is a beauty of a rifle, Kirk. Not bad shooting either.

Did you cast those bullets yourself? I know Lee makes a bevel base mold for the 38-55. Since you are having a custom mold made, I guess you aren't thrilled with the Lee design.

Keep us posted on your custom mold project.

Sean
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Junkbug, there's a local fellow who had been doing my casting and he borrowed the mould from someone. You are right, I do not like the bevel base bullet. I feel that it is harder to bump up a bevel base bullet to an oversize bore like mine and more conducive to leading and inaccuracy. This is why I finally decided to get a Veral Smith mould.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kirk -

Another great range report. You really set the standard here! I can't think of a better way to spend a lunch hour. Well, not that I can say here on this family board (I do work from home when I am "in the office", and the kids are back in school :wink: ).

I couldn't get the link on the Smith molds to work. Any chance it is not correct?

Thanks!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Great looking rifle!

Post by John in MS »

Hi, Kirk,
Very nice!! Thanks for posting -- I always love seeing your old Winchesters!

Out of curiosity, what kind of delivery time is Veral Smith quoting
these days? Did you send him a chamber cast?

Thanks much,
John
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ysabel, I clicked on the link and it does seem to be working for me.

John, I didn't ask what the lead time would be. I don't really need it till next spring. I didn't send him a chamber cast because this mould will be used for both my 38-55's.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nice rifle! I had a shot at one of those. It was refinished but priced right. I doddled too long and lost it. I still kick my self. 1886.