Death Of A Lawnmower

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Death Of A Lawnmower

Post by Sixgun »

Well....well......I have had this Briggs and Stratton lawnmower since 1984. I only use it for trimming but it has served me well. Its time for it to go.....al la 3" mortar. 300 grains of black and a 3lb projectile.=======================6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMReL4F1UyQ
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Death Of A Lawnmower

Post by Blaine »

About 1963 I got a B&S powered NoName mower for about 39 bucks. I made tons of money with it. Gave it to my Mom/StepDad when I moved out, and he used it for a long time. Not sure how it died. Don't think you can beat a B&S engine, except with a 3lb mortar.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

:lol: Awesome :lol: 8)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Dad had a lawn mower shop, worked there as a kid 20 years before you got this. I think an autopsy is called for.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sixgun.. Just in case I have a compete mental collapse and forget.. Remind me to stay as far away from you and your back yard as humanly possible... :roll:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Second childhoods can be either painful or entertaining to watch!

But, seriously, if a B&S is still running... it ain't DEAD!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

this is guy stuff on steroids. I would live next to you.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Amigo, you're deranged! Love it!
:lol:
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

sixgun. long before comedian Richard Pryor lit up his face and made headlines for shooting his lawn mower I had murdered a running Briggs & Stratton mower with one shot 44 magnum SBH 240 grain cast bullet with 25 grains of IMR 4227. Mower made a heck of a noise.

Like the video.

hayabusa
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am beginning to think that nice tractor might be in danger in the event you run out of hard targets!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Only problem I have with shooting the darn thing is the possible cleanup afterwards :lol: :lol: :lol:

Drive it up on your mower trailer and then shoot it so you don't hopefully have to pick anything up or drag it up on the trailer to be rid of it !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:Second childhoods can be either painful or entertaining to watch!

But, seriously, if a B&S is still running... it ain't DEAD!
Griff,
SECOND childhoods??????????........I ain't out of the first one yet and I'll be 60 next month. :D

And Buck......you got BIG testicles making a statement like that.......I destroyed one junky worn out lawn mower......how 'bouts all those 94's and 336's you blew up developing your prototype? :D I can visualize the fun .....pull the trigger with a string and the boys go rushing over with their calipers in your hands to see the damage. :D

Yup, us adults never really grow up. :D -----6

I'm currently working on a case full of Bullseye in an original 95% deluxe 1886 in 50-100-450. :D

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I shoulda watched before I commented I thought it was a riding lawn mower !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.............just keep Sixgun away from Tannerite.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why did six deviate from the original plot?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Did you recover the projectile?

Does the B&S still run?

Enquiring minds want to know.

:?:
:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sixgun wrote:And Buck......you got BIG testicles making a statement like that.......I destroyed one junky worn out lawn mower......how 'bouts all those 94's and 336's you blew up developing your prototype? :D I can visualize the fun .....pull the trigger with a string and the boys go rushing over with their calipers in your hands to see the damage. :D

Yup, us adults never really grow up. :D -----6

I'm currently working on a case full of Bullseye in an original 95% deluxe 1886 in 50-100-450. :D
Never did actually "blow one up", just stretched and twisted them to the point they would no longer function...

The brutalized '94s Were tied down and fired with a string.. so was the Marlin.. there was little need for calipers until each of the test guns would no longer function..

Have your next-of-kin keep us posted on your '86 project.. Maybe you can have your ashes scattered by means of a soup can and a 3" mortar...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Let us members on here truly learn from the actions of a fine General.
That lawn mower served the General well, however it was terminally sick and suffering.
In pain with no hope of better days ahead.
Sure, most of us would have just sent that lawn warrior to the curb for some twisted sick person to pick it up and abuse it and doing who knows what else probably molesting it?
Or we might have loaded the poor soul in the back of a pickup on a long ride of pain to the dump or scrap yard causing more pain while then abanding it lays there still barely alive suffering.
Is that right? No
The General helped that ailing warrior to regain his pride,got it going back in the fight feeling good about itself for that brief moment then when it wasn't looking---BOOM.
What genius! What leadership!
Somewhere I heard once the mark of a true God of Warriors go by a greed, if you still have a breath of fight you either die fighting next to the General or for utmost respect at that time die by the General.
Can't type any more cause the keyboard is flooded with tears.
Beautiful, just beautiful. (that is the true example of " I got your back")
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

No answer forthcoming?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mescalero wrote:No answer forthcoming?
That's why your on the other end of the Boom! :wink: :D
Also, Any other meaning of the I got your back thing, besides being meant in its above context isn't well accepted. :oops:
Even if its gentle with a smile!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:Why did six deviate from the original plot?

First....Madman.......you need to change "mad" to "common sense". Therefore, you are now known as Commonsenseman. :D yes, thank you very much...the mower did it's duty for many years. Another thing I did not point out was the blade....yes......the blade would occasionally smack the bottom of the handle and shut off instantly. The handle mount rusted away and sometimes the handle would drift down into the "danger area" . Hey! A man has got to save money to keep the Winchester & Colt money available. :D For the last 2 years I have only used this mower for bush hogging .....going into areas out back that are too rough for a weed wacker.

For the lawn mower, it was a death with honor. Your right, throwing that in a landfill is just downright degrading. Like a true soldier, it went down at full speed, doing it's duty for all of mankind.

Now, on to Mescalero. .......YES, I was forced to deviate from the original plot of "terror on the high seas". In spite of what many here think, I don't have a whole lot of time for such frivolous activities. As a white guy, I have a full time job and another full time job taking care of 4 acres, house, my fleet of Jeeps, at least 15 machines with gas and Diesel engines, horses, dogs, cats..etc......THEN I have to somehow find time to load ammo, hang down at Targetmaster, the gunclub, and here at Leverguns....so.........that means making a couple of boats, story line, filming, permits for shooting, renting blackpowder guns and cannons is out of the question for the moment. For real, it will take a full day to do it right.......all for 5 minutes of view time...it's gonna have to wait...----6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Buck, anybody can blow up a 336 or a 94. I always figured if your gonna blow up something, do it right!-6 :D

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Did you do that?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yes

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What happened?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Can you keep a secret?

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am insulted you would ask that question.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

It figures....
Regards

Buck

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I worked for the city's parks and recreation department in the city where I grew up back when I was 16 and 17. Those 2 summers I kept a mower with a Briggs and Stratton motor running for 6 1/2 hours to 7 hours a day for 3 months at a time. That was 1 mower and engine that lasted both summers. It was still working and it started on 1 pull on the last day I used it. If Sixgun's Briggs and Stratton had lasted that long, it deserved a good sendoff. It may not be to Buck's liking, but he has a right to his opinion. I think that mower now deserves to have taps played for it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

?
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I avoided this topic from the start because I knew, if black powder wasn't involved, I was gonna be so P-O'd at what a whiny place this had become :D
Glad you didn't disappoint me, Sixgun..
Buck Elliot wrote:Have your next-of-kin keep us posted on your '86 project.. Maybe you can have your ashes scattered by means of a soup can and a 3" mortar...
Now that's an IDEA! The wife and I have been discussing cremation (we're both too lazy to tend to the weeds on each other's graves). I might need a family-size pork and beans can though :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nothing against Briggs&Stratton but my dad sold this Gravely more than 50 years ago and it is still runningImage

hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Old Savage, that will probably buff right out!

busa
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:?

Mescaline, you have not answered my question. Can you keep a secret? :D ---6

Thanks Vance and Piller and others who enjoy life.......People who whine are people who are unhappy about something in their lives. I let them be who they are so they can wallow in their misery. That leaves more of the share of happiness for others who truly enjoy life, plus they keep alcohol sales going and taxes up for their fellow whinners to enjoy......they support themselves in a way. :D Me? I'm gonna live life.......lawnmower or not :D

There was virtually nothing left of this mower. Every part was rusted through and repaired time and again. The engine smoked and compression was down to where hardly any load bogged it down.

By the way, I have already saved the wheels, carb and gas tank assembly, and recoil spring. The last item makes great spring stock for guns. :D ---------------6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A survival innovator with a deep appreciation for ballisitic history. We need to keep you away from a real 81 which will throw a 26 lb projectile 4700 yds with charge nine. :)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know Buck could have something here. Jake, Elwood and Sixgun Blues .... On a mission from God - ashes in a soup can, decorative and expensive of course. Sky High Send Off with an 81. Maybe over the Delaware or Chesapeake or the Atlantic. With fireworks like the 4th of July. Oh, that Buck. :)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hayabusa, Turtle Wax, where are you, I want to use your buffer.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes, if that is the way you want it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
That is a grand idea....with being sent off into the air via some sort of a projectile, but its not for me. I have told my other half that when the time does come, I just want to be sprinkled in my own back yard and back pasture, where the best times of my life have happened. I'm a Cancer, and my home has always been #1. I also told her to have one of my finest pre-1920 single action Colts, a decent 1886 Winchester and my Triplelock Target S&W .44 Spl. ground up into fine particles and mixed in with my ashes. And to throw in a few Ben Franklins.

Who cays you can't take it with you? :D -------------6

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:Yes, if that is the way you want it.

OK, Mescaline. You win......Yes I did that back in 2003 working up an elk load. At the time the rifle had digested 1833 rds, while in my ownership from 1974. The load was 38 grains of 5744 with a 300 grain Lyman, which while not excessively hot, was warm. The rifle, as I was told by a ballsitician, came apart from metal fatigue.

I have since saved warm loads for nickel steel rifles. Unlike Shrapnel, Mike V's buddy, that is the only gun that has come apart in my hands. Thats why I saved what was left of it for a constant reminder that half of my heritage is Italian.

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/blowups.htm
see "metal fatigue"
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for that summation.

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

six...
WATCH OUT for ricochets! :shock:

That poor, trusted, faithful, defenseless, lawnmower :cry:
Last edited by w30wcf on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

w30wcf wrote:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/blowups.htm
see "metal fatigue"

Yo Jack...you 'da man...I just read that link from 10 years ago and it shows my memory is still pretty much OK. I was 2 grains off on th e powder charge and I had the bullet as the Lyman instead of the Rapine which was what I used.

See? Eating lead powder is OK for you!-----6

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun wrote:
Mescalero wrote:Yes, if that is the way you want it.

OK, Mescaline. You win......Yes I did that back in 2003 working up an elk load. At the time the rifle had digested 1833 rds, while in my ownership from 1974. The load was 38 grains of 5744 with a 300 grain Lyman, which while not excessively hot, was warm. The rifle, as I was told by a ballsitician, came apart from metal fatigue.

I have since saved warm loads for nickel steel rifles. Unlike Shrapnel, Mike V's buddy, that is the only gun that has come apart in my hands. Thats why I saved what was left of it for a constant reminder that half of my heritage is Italian.

I remember when you first posted about that. What a mess. I think I still have some of the pics from the original thread somewhere. And the original post might be on the home page under JimT's thread about Kabooms.

WOW! w30wcf is faster at the keyboard than I am. I'm getting old and decrepit.

I wish I could get our mower to start on the first pull. I hate the thing. Perhaps once we get out of here I can do to it what 6 did to his ... :twisted: :lol:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I blew up my first 5.7MM.
The forend went way up in the air,it did make a funny sound,, my upper body stung, but no blood.
I remember being " stunned " for a while.
I still do not know what really happened.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Mescalero wrote:Did you do that?
i remember when he did that and posted it. scary and enough to make you cry !
cable
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I kept seeing the title, "Death of a Lawnmower", and thinking some poor sap was whining about the demise of his favorite rider he bought from Western Auto or Gibson' Discount Center when his oldest child was in diapers. About how they don't make them like that anymore and oh how he's gonna miss the bestest lawnmower in the whole wide world...

Then I glanced at the title last night and thought. "I know what the death of a lawnmower should be about...black powder in the crankcase and a big BOOM!" :D I wasn't exactly right but close enough to make me grin. :D

All of my metal Tonka trucks (that would be collectible now :? ) died in fiery crashes when I was a teenager. Some exploded (and the good Lord watched over a fool as they did.)

If I wasn't for having to pick up the mess, I gave a 1997 Chevy Venture van to my dad years ago that is about ready for that treatment.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Vance,
THATS an excellent idea! The motor is still intact so I can pull the spark plug, load her up with double F, leave a fuse hanging out but.....................I believe that would be against the law. I have a lot of eyes on me and I dont need the aggravation. Its not easy being a white guy with a job....there are lots of government officials out to get a portion of our paychecks and personal items we have spent our lives working for.

I'll just take the old mower and throw it in the metal scrap dumpster at work........after draining the oil and the gas.---6