Tomorrow, June 6th, Is D-Day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Tomorrow, June 6th, Is D-Day

Post by Blaine »

If you would like to remember, and brush up on your history: (lots, and lots of pics to see)

http://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/d-day

These men walked into a meat grinder. Unthinkable, but they did it for the world....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tomorrow, June 6th, Is D-Day

Post by .45colt »

Lucky for us All that Hitler was stopped cold. Bless all of the Vet's that served. My Dad And Uncle as well.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

We were in Indianapolis last weekend and went to the Indiana State Museum. They have an Imax theater, and we watched a film all about D-Day. Very interesting, and amazing what all went into that operation, not to mention the sacrafice made by so many.
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Will be saying a special prayer tomorrow for my Grandfather who at closer to 40 than 30 volunteered into the service.He was one that did Omaha Beach on D-Day and lived.

I remember once when I asked gramps "why did you volunteer being so old and only man left on farm.(all 4 sons were in Military)
He said "I wanted that war over,my boys back safe, sitting on a tractor here wouldn't do"
Youngest son was 16 years old quit school and volunteered in the Merchant Marines.
Had his faded ID and helped the real old lady at recruiting center trying to read it , here it got wet in the wash tub and faded it says ####

Also a second prayer for all the others on D-Day will be sent.
Grandma did the farm deal as best as possible.
All sons also made it through the War.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There were brave men on all sides, and I respect those who fought for their country out of love for their fellow man. War is not something that should be declared without just cause. In WWII, not to mention other wars, I believe our cause was just. To all the good men who fought for the Allied cause on D-Day, I salute you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

There is a lot going on over here on the South coast, historic aircraft etc. Quite a few veterans from both sides of the pond are here and in France, I thank them all for their service, also the thousands that did not make it. Lest we forget.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I found these photos indescribably poignant ...
http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures/sl ... R3S6ZX#a=1
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Then & Now. WWII photographs superimposed over modern photos of the same places.
Kinda spooky:
http://www.boredpanda.com/ghosts-of-war ... o-present/

and from a Russian photographer:
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blo ... ld-war-iis
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

My Uncle landed there about half way through the day (beach was secured by then) and he said it was still awful.

He fought all the way through to Germany. Wounded twice but never left the front line. Liberated some death camps.......carried pictures of what he encountered there in his wallet the rest of his life. Said it reminded him what they were fighting to prevent, kept him from feeling sorry for himself.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

wm: God bless your uncle.
My father was in the 97th. They came in in early 1945 and ended the war liberating the Sudetenland. They were just days behind the Nazis' hanging of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. My father would cry in later years when he thought of this, as he was a born-again Christian.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

God Bless them all. During my life I have had the Honor! to know two men that survived that day, in combat on the beach. And the personality of each . Left an Impression on me that I will never forget,them for the rest of my life. Truly members of the Greatest Generation.Dusty
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

One day I was quail hunting with a old friend of my dad's, his last name was Schultz he told me he killed two men aboard ship before he ever boarded the landing craft.

I asked him if he killed many enemy soldiers, he said I Billy the Kidded many a one, I asked him what he meant by that, he said I shot them in the back as they were running away.

--------------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I don't think our media would let us take this kind of stand today.
Remember the heroes.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I sent the following to my Uncle today:

Hi Uncle Paul -

Somehow an "anniversary greeting" doesn't seem right, though I did want to acknowledge the 70th remembrance of the D-Day invasion, which saved Europe and the world. Thank you and your brave comrades for all you did for my freedom. It will always be appreciated; it will never be forgotten.

Love,

Jay

If you see a vet, thank him or her. For those that are vets here, you will always have my eternal gratitude...
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Here's to Howard Cox of Massachusetts for D-day 1944.
Lest we forget.