New Toy..*****FIXED IT*****..Unlike Others

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

New Toy..*****FIXED IT*****..Unlike Others

Post by Sixgun »

I forgot to "Publish" the video. I guess they want you to feel important. :D ----------6

Howdy there. I went to the Oaks, Pa. show today to have some fun and fun it was. I decided to take a different direction, away from the Winchesters and Colts. After swapping lies with some buds, it was time to hit the aisles. Snagged 100 Starline 45-90 and 200 nickel 44-40's...ouch....$153.

I got to BS'en with this cat who makes his own small blackpowder cannons. He had some little ones that shot small round balls and some bigger mortars that were designed to shoot golf balls and other things. I bought a small one that shoots a 50 caliber round ball and this big job that shoots vegetable cans. The idea is to fill up the vegetable can with cement and "go to town". :D

So.......I go home and get some 50 caliber round balls, fill the small cannon with 30 grains of black, insert a fuse, light that baby up and blast a hole in a 5 gallon bucket that was filled with water. Cool. I then attached the small cannon to a wood block and while holding it, I started shooting things around the back yard. Cool. Very light loads mind you. I then loaded that sucker with 80-100 grains of black with the round ball and bammmmmm!, that really barked, with the recoil blasting the cannon back several feet.

Then......it was time to play with the big boy...the mighty 3" mortar. I took a can and filled it with dirt and packed it real hard. (did not feel like making cement and waiting to it to harden) The guy who sold it to me said to use 400 grains of black.......maximum. I used about 100 grains, put the can in, lit the fuse and bammmmm......it sent the can at least 100 yards up. Look at the video and the dirt filled can can be easily be seen flying in the air.

After that shot I adjusted the mortar and fired the same can, filled with the same dirt up in the air and into the pond....bingo....I'm good.

Tomorrow more fun is on the way. :D ------------------6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8Nx4U ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Toy....Unlike Others

Post by shooter »

Won't let me watch it. Says the video is private. Not sure if I want to watch any of your "private" vids though, Six :lol:
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

shooter wrote:Won't let me watch it. Says the video is private. Not sure if I want to watch any of your "private" vids though, Six :lol:
+1 Can't watch, private.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fun stuff. Out here a guy was filling the cans with plaster of Paris.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine and Shooter,
I dunno. I logged out of Leverguns and clicked on the link and it came up..no issues. Gonna try some more.....

OS, could you open the link?---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No Six, said private. But, I did qualify expert with the 81mm mortar in the army if you need info. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Blaine and Shooter,
I dunno. I logged out of Leverguns and clicked on the link and it came up..no issues. Gonna try some more.....

OS, could you open the link?---6
Nope, just like Photobucket, YOU have to designate whether a video is "private" only you and specific people you invite to view can see it, or public, where it's searchable and available to unrestricted viewing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, still private. :cry:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Rusty wrote:Yep, still private. :cry:
Same for me.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I can't see the video ,but I can imagine you are giggling like a school kid. :mrgreen:

I bet you are the first kid on the block to have one. That doesn't surprise me. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Toy..*****FIXED IT*****..Unlike Others

Post by Borregos »

Works now, what a hoot :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Borregos wrote:Works now, what a hoot :D :D :D
Thanks Pete for letting us know. I have never been anything but a bit over a novice in these computer thingys......But give me a Colt single action..... :D ----6

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

looks like fun to me!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

six,
you have way too much fun
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks like fun But be careful! years ago I knew a guy he made a cannon that shot Bud cans
filled with cement, well after to much Bud & a pound BP they shot a big hole in the neighbors
silo nearly a mile away :shock:

Brad
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Cool :D :lol: :lol: .
Byron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:lol:
Mescalero wrote:six,
+1! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:six,
+1 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I want one! Why is this not subject to BATF ("dangerous devices" -IIRC) regulations?

Or do I not want to even bring this up?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Excellent...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Works now, center up and shift.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:lol: :D

6---- I told you punks beat it your picking the wrong place go somewhere else to get your meth money.

BG's--- " Doors locked, well just break it in and don't worry there are three of us. Besides hurry up I can only feel some of my body its all tingly, Boy that last stuff last night was really some good high grade stuff" come on, we'll get them"

6---- Yep, look those stupid fools are going to make a go of it, honey please grab me that can on the counter the one that is full of new shiny nuts and bolts I just them picked up yesterday at Tractor Supply on sale per pound and the butane lighter below in the drawer if you don't mind. Thanks. Step back and watch it now! I have placed Mr. Mortar sideway against the kitchen back wall. I am adding 400grs na 450grs screw it we'll make it extra special for the tards, ah sweetie could you grab that dish towel and the broom next to you in the corner please? Thanks dear.
ya,ya ya, we'll just dump the powder , boy that's a lot of power and then all this fine hardware. Well leave the can out cause we want it to to spread for all of em real good. What a waste of good hardware but oh well. ya, that looks real good now and lets get this towel really crammed down here good and tight, good grief that is tight. Fuse in! Ok, lets see about 35ft to door aim looks true. :wink: Plug your ears dear and get ready.

Well punks, you coming in or are you all just a bunch of toads? Watch this honey! :wink:

6 for President! :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bullard4075 wrote:I want one! Why is this not subject to BATF ("dangerous devices" -IIRC) regulations?
Or do I not want to even bring this up?

Totally 100% legal......at least here in Pennsylvania it is. Common sense as to it's use comes into play.....you really don't want to be lobbing 3 pounds of concrete in the air without knowing where it's going to land. It WILL kill a human or pets. Like Olloger said, his buds shot a bud can a mile away into a farmers silo.

You also don't have to have any sort of a projectile if you just want to make noise. Put in the powder and some newspaper and you can have some safe fun.

www.blackpowder-cannons.com

Here is a link to the guy's website. My mortar is the 3" and is towards the bottom of the page and is actually the one in the photo's. (With the red block of wood) I paid extra to have it all complete.....well, I did not have a choice as the only 3" mortar he had was the one I bought.

For the guy who has a lot of golf balls laying around, he has this mortar that shoots them. Very cool-----6

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My Dad made a 50 cal cannon for 4th of July when I was a kid on his lathe. I remember it was the first year gypsy moths were around and in plague amounts he would say get a handful of them caterpillars and load them in. It had a green smoke cloud for 20 feet in front of its muzzle :D I have also watched the cement filled cans at a cannon shoot once, punch through 3/4 plywood targets so fast it was scary.
Enjoy !!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have really been interested in black powder artillery since I found out my great, great uncle was in the

2nd battery, Maryland Confederate Light Artillery, known as "the Baltimore Battery."
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha awesome Six! We made some cannons at my buddies place and shot them with the kids. Its a blast.
Years ago, my buddy had an 8 pounder on wheels on the lawn at his shop. We got some balls for it and loaded it up. I can't recall the charge but I think it was almost a pound. There is a big field across the road and its about 500yrds to the woods. You could hear that ball cutting trees all the way from the shop! :shock: :?

Just be careful bud. Dont have TOO much fun!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have been so tempted to get one of those! I built myself a small cannon out of steel pipe years ago. Y2K has it now sitting on a shelf in his room. The veggie-can mortar would probably get me in all kinds of trouble though! (which is why I want one) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

If you want a boom but no projectile, use some old bread or buns. It compacts nicely to give the powder something to push against, thus increasing the boom. It won't smolder to start a fire like rags or paper, it's 100% biodegradable and the critters eat it when your done. Win, win, win. :D
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gobblerforge wrote:If you want a boom but no projectile, use some old bread or buns. It compacts nicely to give the powder something to push against, thus increasing the boom. It won't smolder to start a fire like rags or paper, it's 100% biodegradable and the critters eat it when your done. Win, win, win. :D
Gobbler

Thanks Gobbler,
For the most part, thats what I plan on using it for....making noise on holidays. As you know your stuff when it comes to blackpowder toys, did you notice in the video the special powder chamber in the mortar? in the center, at the bottom, there is a section that is about 1" deep and 1" wide. This area contains the powder. Is that how they all are?

The manufacturer told me its a special Cohern chamber.....I think the spelling could be off on that.

This is a neat toy and I plan on expanding my collection of these. My next one will shoot golf balls. Then after that I was thinking of having a special one of a kind mortar that shoots 55 gallon barrels that are full of cement, or maybe one that I could drive an old beat up car or pickup truck into. I guess the sky is the limit here...how about one that shoots locomotives in the air?-----------6

rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Try using tinfoil to make a cylinder the same size as the soup can. Then fill the tinfoil cylinder with white flour. Lot'sa BOOM! and Smoke!....and somewhat safe.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

rock-steady wrote:Try using tinfoil to make a cylinder the same size as the soup can. Then fill the tinfoil cylinder with white flour. Lot'sa BOOM! and Smoke!....and somewhat safe.
Hey, another great idea.Thanks...I'm gonna try that.----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Try shooting tennis balls. :)

Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

One piece of advice when shooting golf balls from a cannon. Golf balls don't penetrate like a metal projectile. They bounce. If you shoot at a tree, the ball will be coming back with near the same velocity as when it left. I will never do this again, trust me.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Six, that reminds me I have one of Dom Carpenter's golf ball mortars that I need to finish and shoot.