Refugee from New York

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: Refugee from New York

Post by SteveR »

92&94 wrote:Funny thing sixgun, if you were talking about people's home state rather than their level of education, you would be directly contradicting your earlier words.

Attitude is never consistent, but always amusing :lol:
Ahh, the elitist university professor chimes in, ironic that your post poking Larry, follows after 6's post about over ed-u-macated elitists!!

Steve
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Wow…. I went to school in NY and didn't get any of that nonsense. :?
Public school may have been a tad inadequate, but there certainly was no "pro-NY" agenda.
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

92&94 wrote:Funny thing sixgun, if you were talking about people's home state rather than their level of education, you would be directly contradicting your earlier
Apples and oranges Mr. Elitist. You are the one that is amusing. Good ole Joe Stalin would have had you on his "red list" ......and for good reason. :lol: ----6
Model A Uzi’s
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Sixgun wrote: I'm sure we all have lots of stories but more often than not, people with big educations think they are something special. That's why Stalin liquidated everyone with more than an 8th grade education.
Stalin liquidated those he saw as a possible threat. Education is always a threat to totalitarian governments and totalitarian religions (they replace it with brainwashing).
Sixgun wrote: In today's world, if you don't have a degree, your not going too many places, but why does arrogance come with the degree?
Easy. Why does a POG paper-pusher in the Air Force swagger around and think he is something, while the SF types tend to be quite and laid back and not prone to brag?

Why does the rookie cop act tough and brash and push people around, and the older cop is often polite and well liked by (honest) people he interacts with?

When your confidence is in knowing your strengths and weaknesses, possibilities and limitations, when you have proven yourself to yourself, you have no need to prove yourself to others.

When your confidence and perceived strength and worth are tied up in a position, and ability, a job, a uniform, a rank, a title, or a piece of paper, then you judge everyone else based on what it is that you feel makes you great, and despising others because they do not have that thing that your self-image revolves around only makes you feel more confident and more superior.

This is especially the case with formal education as a lot of educational institutions tend toward elitism. It is something that must be fought against by those who recognize it, and while this attitude can be seen easily in education (and it is also easy for people to represent people who gain advantage due to their degrees, even if they are fine people) it can also be see in all aspects of life. I have known soldiers and police officers who felt that anyone who did not wear the uniform was beneath their notice, truck drivers who thought that the ability to drive a truck made them too good to associate with anyone but teamsters, people whose parents' money made them superior to everyone else, and lots of people who viewed skill in whatever particular hobby they enjoyed to be the criteria by which to judge the worth of all others.

To be fair, I have also seen quite a bit of elitism against people with degrees from those who do not have them as well. As an example, there is an attitude among some preachers in the Southern US (and they can be found in most other parts of the country as well) of pride in ignorance. Now you can be well educated with or without a degree, but to be willfully ignorant is inexcusable, especially for someone who is to be providing guidance to others.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Sixgun wrote:
92&94 wrote:Funny thing sixgun, if you were talking about people's home state rather than their level of education, you would be directly contradicting your earlier
Apples and oranges Mr. Elitist. You are the one that is amusing. Good ole Joe Stalin would have had you on his "red list" ......and for good reason. :lol: ----6
That the best you got?

Hardly worth it, but what the heck.

Why do you think that these are two different things? Whether one is generalizing about the supposed arrogance of all easterners or all educated people, the generalization is just as inaccurate when one looks at individuals rather than convenient straw men.

No one is consistent, I am just amused by the speed with which you go from condemning the generalizations of others - quite legitimately I think - to making your own equally silly gross generalizations. Voluntarily quit the high ground and got down in the mud within just a few hours. Hilarious! :lol:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Here's the fun thing about a dregree that they don't teach you when they sell it to you:

It's worthless without influence peddling & "knowing people". Worse, having one makes a guy virtually inelegible for Labor jobs. So, if you aren't young, good looking, keyed into the "system" and have "connections", or rather, if you are older and male,.with no "industry experience" (like, say a Vet) when you get the degree they tell you is "necessary" to get professional employment, odds are it will NOT help you find work - because HR departments don't hire old guys with fresh degrees and "no.experience" and Labor Bosses are prejudiced against "over education".

But don't you dare lie about it on your job app either. It's a true Catch 22.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OI,
New young guy, good looking, charisma, etc.
My boss was there, people were talking about the new guy, he will go far, good looking, etc.
My only remark was I prefered a little scarring in the face, shows character.
My boss looked at me and said, " your face has all the character I can stand " :lol:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Somewhat off topic, but most have been told that an education will help them get better jobs, and this has generally been true. However, we have a new gen that has struggled through school getting loans to do so, and cant find work, or are working at low end jobs just to survive. Not all that different than those that didn't get through school, work hasnt been easy in many places these past few years, only they have a huge debt load on top of it.

I know some great folks that are educated, and not. To proclaim either is universally better doesn't make sense. It's all about the individual.

I listened to a friend on a phone interview for a job. He had apparently been asked about his degree(s). He said "Yes, I have a Phd. We all know what BS is, MS is more of the same, and Phd is piled higher and deeper". I think he got the job, he was uniquely qualified for it in several ways. He never was too wrapped up in the degrees thing that I know of, but was a virtual walking encyclopedia of information about many things.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

92&94 wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
That the best you got?

Hardly worth it, but what the heck.

Why do you think that these are two different things? Whether one is generalizing about the supposed arrogance of all easterners or all educated people, the generalization is just as inaccurate when one looks at individuals rather than convenient straw men.

No one is consistent, I am just amused by the speed with which you go from condemning the generalizations of others - quite legitimately I think - to making your own equally silly gross generalizations. Voluntarily quit the high ground and got down in the mud within just a few hours. Hilarious! :lol:
Why do you come here to a nice respectable place and start poking people? You are a snarky, elitist.
What you call "Voluntarily quit the high ground and got down in the mud within just a few hours.", is normal conversation that we enjoy here, if you feel you are so above us, why don't you take your ed-u-macated elitist attitude back to the White House, where you would feel so much more comfortable to be around people of your level of sophistication. :roll: :roll:

Steve
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

You crack me up Steve.... Sling mud if ya can't think, yeah, that'll work! :lol:

Yes, sure is a respectable place with posts like your last two :lol:

Look, there is always a reasoned reply to be made to posts like mine that seem to irritate you so much. Explain what you think are the flaws in what I say. Put some effort into making me look like a fool, just throwing insults won't do it.

I think Sixgun made a very good point earlier - don't tar all New Yorkers or other easterners with the same brush. On the whole we're going to agree with you guys and those who hang around here would without a doubt make good neighbors for any of us. That was an excellent reminder that we all need now and then.

But behave ironically (as he did), and people will notice that rather than the good point made earlier :mrgreen:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

When I was growing up, we only stereotyped about Bohemians, Pollocks , Irish and Italians. I didn't know it could be done about a whole state. Who knew....... But then again I'm little slower than most. Maybe it's that Bohemian and Irish blood. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Steve R. :D

I could never even begin to compete with 92/94 on any kind of an intellectual level. I'm just a peon high school graduate that drives a forklift for a living.

Yes, Mr. 92/94, you beat me up bad. I do have a way of contradicting myself ......it's always when emotions kick in and I begin to type words before my brain gets in gear. I should have known better than to compete with you on your turf...the classroom.

The way you word yourself, your IQ must be about 150. Some years back mine was calculated at 118. You and I are apples and oranges when it comes to IQ, with me having a bit of rot, down to the core. :D in fact, I'll go as far to say that you are the brightest member of Leverguns.Com.....for real.

Naaaa, I ain't gonna sling no mud, because slinging mud means you are frustrated, knowing you are beat, and somehow have to come up with something to "save face" in the presence of others.

Maybe some day you and I can meet on my turf.....the woods.....where real men go.-------6
Model A Uzi’s
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Six, I doubt my IQ is any higher than anyone else's around here - but you are really just exercising your wit of course. :lol:

I read a fair amount and it rubs off in my writing - tend to remember which way the words go round. Reading makes up for lack of anything over average smarts, just like practice at the range makes up for a lack of anything over average skill shooting. Degrees and education have little to do with intelligence, just another way of practicing.
Sixgun wrote:Maybe some day you and I can meet on my turf.....the woods.....where real men go.-------6
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I grew up in the Maine woods, now I live in the woods out here - well, if you can call 15' tall trees "woods" :mrgreen: Look me up when you come out for Mescalero's Jeep :twisted:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

He's not getting my jeep.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:He's not getting my jeep.
He'll make you an offer you can't refuse......Them Gumbas always bring their Cousin Vito along... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:He's not getting my jeep.
Once again demonstrating uncommon good sense... :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang! That 92/94 beat me up again! He is even an expert in the woods.......I'm gonna crawl in a hole for awhile. :D

Well, at least we are getting entertained a bit.....never a dull moment here at Leverguns.

Look, my ego is blasted down below dirt level. Now I got to beat someone up to bring it back...............................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............mmmmmmmmmmmmmm,
....mmmmmmmmmm

Mescaline's jeep.......junk......J-U-N-K. I would not give an empty .22 box for it. Last month I asked him for a picture and this is what it looks like.

Oh, I went to the gunshow today and bought 2 small cannons. One is a tiny 50 caliber and the other is a 3" mortar. I just shot it off and my wife is climbing up my butt saying it scared the dogs and the horse. I made a video of it and I'll post it later.-----6

Model A Uzi’s
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol:
That is not my jeep, but it is funny.
Hey, why you picking on me?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote::lol:
That is not my jeep, but it is funny.
Hey, why you picking on me?
:roll: Ask him how to post pics.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:...would not give an empty .22 box for it!
Now that was funny right there! :D :D
Now Sixgun, you & both know that with a lil' elbow grease, that'll buff right out! Don't go tellin' me that you're afraid of that lil' ol' Mexican, Manuel Labor?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I saw Mescalero's jeep last year.....It's the cutest little thang.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

You mean it's not this one?
Jeep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:o :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! I knew you guys would like that picture. I asked Mescaline to take a picture and send it to me but he did not know how to send it, so somehow he did manage to send it to Blaine and Blaine figured it all out and sent it to me. Then Blaine told me that Mescaline asked Blaine to tell me not to make fun of him about the condition of the Jeep.

I promised Blaine I would keep quiet and for him to tell Mescaline that all was well and good but then Mescaline made fun of me about 92/94 beating me up about being stupid so I decided to let the cat out of the bag about the condition of Mescaline's jeep....if that's what you want to call it.

Mescaline did manage to call me on the phone and said that the "beaners" were stealing parts but the beaners stopped stealing parts because that's all that was left was rust. Then Mescaline has the nerve to tell me he wants $5,000 for the Jeep and I told him it was junk. He tells me that two people came over and want to buy the Jeep so I had better hurry up and send him the money. He takes a picture of these people coming over to look at the jeep and here is that picture.

Mescaline is telling me all of these stories on how fast the jeep is and how he used to drive it at the races. He sends me this picture to prove how fast it is.

Then he continues on how "it may" need a "touch up" on the paint job.

The stories got to be boring. I heard how he used to make lots of money smuggling wetbacks across the Rio Grande.

Oh! And then how the jeep was so nice and comfortable and how he actually lived in it.I had enough of it all, so I'm going out back to shoot my new cannon.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock:
That was some story, and I never called you stupid,but I have been thinking of writing a book, could use a co- author with that much imagination.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I know you never called me stupid and no one else did either. I just needed an excuse to write up a stupid, but entertaining story. Hey! Life is short......you gots to play hard. I even laugh in my sleep. :D

Hobie once PM'ed me and said I had used those smiley thingys 7 times more than everyone else on the board......combined. :D :D :D

There's a secret to keeping happy......Surround yourself with trusting souls and keep everything/everyone else at arms length or at least as far as a computer click away!-----"The 6" :D
Model A Uzi’s
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have to admit, it was very creative; and you have managed to deflect the ire of the masses, well played.
Good thing you had good subject matter,
PS, 130 lbs of smoke is worth more than 130 lbs. of wetback.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Malamute wrote: I know some great folks that are educated, and not. To proclaim either is universally better doesn't make sense. It's all about the individual.
Yep. True whether you're talking about 'education', or what State people are from, or (even) whether they are from the Big City or the Boonies, or as to whether they are a 'drug' user or not, what race they are, vegetarian or hunter, listen to classical music or jazz, male or female, crew cut or long hair, cup size big or small, which political party they identify with, or sexual orientation they affiliate with...

It is ALL about integrity, intelligence, and initiative, and none of those correlate with 'education' or what place a person happens to live.
-
-
-
-
-

However, it is a well-known FACT that only those who own and cherish leverguns are persons of good character, and that those who have no leverguns are either fools, infidels, or poor slobs who simply haven't yet mustered up the cash to get themselves a REAL gun.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat May 31, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock: :lol: :lol:
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Man six, that is quite a tale. I only started to doubt when I saw how much water was in the Rio Grande! :mrgreen:
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

92&94 wrote: Put some effort into making me look like a fool, just throwing insults won't do it.
I
You are doing a good job of it all by yourself.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Sixgun wrote:Thanks Steve R. :D

I could never even begin to compete with 92/94 on any kind of an intellectual level. I'm just a peon high school graduate that drives a forklift for a living.

Yes, Mr. 92/94, you beat me up bad. I do have a way of contradicting myself ......it's always when emotions kick in and I begin to type words before my brain gets in gear. I should have known better than to compete with you on your turf...the classroom.

The way you word yourself, your IQ must be about 150. Some years back mine was calculated at 118. You and I are apples and oranges when it comes to IQ, with me having a bit of rot, down to the core. :D in fact, I'll go as far to say that you are the brightest member of Leverguns.Com.....for real.

Naaaa, I ain't gonna sling no mud, because slinging mud means you are frustrated, knowing you are beat, and somehow have to come up with something to "save face" in the presence of others.

Maybe some day you and I can meet on my turf.....the woods.....where real men go.-------6
I got your 6, 6. I like how that word play worked out!
Seriously, just because we are just working boys, without big degrees, doesn't mean we don't stick together and watch out for each other.

Steve
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Steve,
Thanks bro. :D
The older I get, the less inclined I am to argue, especially on the internet. When it all comes down to it, nobody here is coming to my house for dinner and spending the night.

People without the academia degrees tend to see things more on an Earth level, while the edumacated ones have their point of view....just look at Obama's cabinet.....yea....what a f joke.-------------6
Model A Uzi’s
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I left NYS 16 years ago and never looked back (witness protection)---do I still have a NY attitude, yeah, and your point is...but living here in the Pacific NorthWest has taught me much and has smoothed-out my abrasiveness...I try not to import my NY, unless I'm dealing with lousy customer service or see someone disrespect another, even learning to become a Mariner Fan, yikes... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

game keeper wrote:When I visited the USA our tour guide asked all us Brits who had not been America before, why did we choose Arizona and not New York? The answer from us all was, we wanted to see some of the real beauty of America not just some BIG city.

Tourists flock to London but fail to see the real Britain, there's not much of it but like New York City , London is not representative of the whole country, even if Londoners think it is :roll: and so just like Barry I would love to visit all 57 states........ :lol:
That's funny, thought I was the only one who thought that way. :-D When folks tell me "I've been to the US" I ask them, "Where did you go?"

"Miami!"
"Sorry, that's actually North Havana."

"New York City!"
"Sorry, that's Western Europe."

"Los Angeles!"
"Sorry, that's Northern Mexico."

And so on...

The same when someone tells me "I've been to Colombia!"
"Really? Where?"

"Cartagena... Medellin... Bogotá..."
Those are all just big cities, which are only different from other big cities in the name and the language spoken. If you want to know a country, get out in the country. Go to the small towns, the springs from which the big city swamps drew their life before they stagnated into sickly sewers of human detritus.

I've little interest in visiting "Great" Britain, but if someday I were to find myself on that side of the pond then London is WAY down on the list of what I'd want to see.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

OK guys, we've tossed enough dirt around for a while. What say we get back to our regularly scheduled leverguns discussions?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AmBraCol wrote:OK guys, we've tossed enough dirt around for a while. What say we get back to our regularly scheduled leverguns discussions?
Yes agreed! You are right.

You know something?
I went back and looked at all y postings and up until about a year ago most all the gents everything was cool.
Then after that I noticed topics at least with myself being included issues dealing with the drug laws, couple gun law issues, and Politics stuff including this illegal immigration issue is where its goes bad. So, I am refraining from partaking in these topics in the future.

Its not worth it, I view members on here as my friends and even just a year ago octagon, harry, etc. we had some pleasant good conversations. It is not worth losing friends. I will remove my negative posts on these latest dealings and just go on!

I do have strong feelings but guess I will keep them to myself!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Removing negative posts? Very suspicious timing, fortuitous indeed! Don't tell me your worried someone will make a list of your transgressions!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

octagon wrote:Removing negative posts? Very suspicious timing, fortuitous indeed! Don't tell me your worried someone will make a list of your transgressions!

Nope, not at all.
I just read what you posted last night and I saw things negative on both sides.
But what "really bothered me" was up until a few post over the last year we were pretty much were all friendly.
Then it came to my thinking this is a guns forum,
Politics/drugs/gun laws and such really I wonder why I even let myself get involved in these discussions because it just works me up and will eventually cause me to lose friends on here. Including You!
So, for me if it is not gun related----I will pass.
I am removing those negative remarks like I stated cause really what is gained by them except frustration?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Odd that you choose to remove your negative bile on a post that concluded over TWO weeks ago, only minutes after I proposed listing your ugly comments, condensing them for all to see? Should I take this to mean you are going to apologize to ALL members you have insulted? Especially Mr. Mescalero and Doc AJ ?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

octagon wrote:Odd that you choose to remove your negative bile on a post that concluded over TWO weeks ago, only minutes after I proposed listing your ugly comments, condensing them for all to see? Should I take this to mean you are going to apologize to ALL members you have insulted? Especially Mr. Mescalero and Doc AJ ?

First of all,

I like Doc! (I know we are not going to go there on the drug stuff) I do think he is a fine Doctor. OI too I consider a friend.
Mescalero he is my friend. Has been will be. Heck really when I think about it harry and you I hold no ill feelings and you/him/anyone on this forum is welcome at my place anytime. talking guns and having a beer.

But, yes I will stand up now and say----To especially you guys(OI,Doc,fwiedner,harry,octagon,mescalero,7.62) and anyone else that I let my amped up energy not show the best side of me----- I APOLOGIZE. I value you guys. I love talking guns, the other stuff that heads in the wrong direction---no, it is not a good place to be. The Mods and Hobie,Paco AmBraCol ---also I am sorry for clogging up this forum. Didn't deserve that! You have enough to do!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I wish this board had a function whereby a person who starts a thread could delete his OP, thus deleting the whole thread. I posted this thread almost a month ago never dreaming it would deteriorate into the vitriol, name-calling, vicious and deplorable babbling that has ensued. .

I hereby apologize to all on the board for even posting the OP.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:I wish this board had a function whereby a person who starts a thread could delete his OP, thus deleting the whole thread. I posted this thread almost a month ago never dreaming it would deteriorate into the vitriol, name-calling, vicious and deplorable babbling that has ensued. .

I hereby apologize to all on the board for even posting the OP.
Don't sweat the small stuff. Actually, it's been quite informative. Sometimes, quite literally, some of us need to "put down the bottle of Jack, and back away from the keyboard"... While others may need to take a swing... take their chill pill, or whatever it is they need to do before responding.

Why just yesterday... I was in repair shop with my truck and met a couple that had finally gotten fed up enough with CA and recently moved to TX...

Now I didn't bother asking what finally drove them out... but, someone, somewhere, is going to be offended, if a 3rd party posts something negative about CA. I refuse to be bothered by their being offended.

By the way jnyork, did any of that snow on Tuesday stick? Not a good day for driving and no defroster!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!