AR 10-308

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

AR 10-308

Post by pwl44m »

Finished up another one of these Bad Boys. I did this one with the fixed stock which I prefer the looks of. This could get really expensive but 2 is all that I need.
I am helping with a Drywall job for a Guy that is getting His Manufacturers License. The Lower is an 80%er that I milled a few months ago. I did 2 at the time and am just now getting the 2nd one finished. Had to wait for an Upper and the fixed Buttstock.
I have a line on some 80% 1911 45 frames. I would like to do a couple of those and a couple AR15 223s and the list goes on. I need something to keep Me busy. I have a couple pics of the new one and the one I already had.
Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: AR 10-308

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Nice looking lower.

Who made the rail system?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I don't know Who made the lower, it was an 80%er and the Upper is a DPMS Oracle with an aftermarket Q rail. The plain one is also a DPMS Oracle with standard forearm.
Perry
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those should do everything that the .308 is capable of. I would be tempted to get another upper in a different caliber just because it will handle it. Maybe 6.5 Grendel or something like that. Maybe a .243 for varmints and such. Heck, I don't know, but I would probably try. I am saving up for a .50 Beowulf upper for my AR 15. Need is not the reason, but who knows, someday I might find myself in a hunting situation where it will be the right thing to use.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Diversity - Yea ! I just learned that 12 gauge Uppers are available that will right on the 308 Lower. How devastating would 20 woops I mean 10 rounds of 00 buck be. Forgot for a moment where I am. I have a 7.62 x 39 upper that I'm not impressed with yet. It has a malfunction problem that I'm hoping is a Magazine problem. The only magazines I have are all the same. I haven't had time to work the bugs out.
The Guy that I'm working for showed Me 3 rounds that all use the standard 223 mags, 223,300 blackout and 458 Socom- now that is a funny looking round and only goes in single stack.
Perry
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

The 50 Beowulf uses standard .223 mags, at least the AA upper that I have seems to.

busa
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is one of the reasons that I want a .50 Beowulf for my AR 15. It pretty much takes just switching the upper. The 6.5 Grendel is a longer cartridge and needs the AR 10 length magazine well. I like the interchangeability of some firearms.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My gunsmith buddy acquired a like new AR-10 in 308 a few weeks ago .

He has it now set up with a medium priced night vision scope an

This thing is gonna be his night time Arkansas Piggie Rifle .

I have no room to talk but my friend owns about eight guns specifically for taking to Arkansas for the annual two week piggie hunt .Which unto itself isn't to unusual until you take into consideration three of them are chambered for 375 H&H MAG , 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote:That is one of the reasons that I want a .50 Beowulf for my AR 15. It pretty much takes just switching the upper. The 6.5 Grendel is a longer cartridge and needs the AR 10 length magazine well. I like the interchangeability of some firearms.
Beowulf is COOL...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

piller wrote:That is one of the reasons that I want a .50 Beowulf for my AR 15. It pretty much takes just switching the upper. The 6.5 Grendel is a longer cartridge and needs the AR 10 length magazine well. I like the interchangeability of some firearms.

The inventor would disagree with you.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/products/65-grendel

The 6.5 was designed to get the best long range round you could cram into a standard AR with the most commonality of parts.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

MrMurphy wrote:

The inventor would disagree with you.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/products/65-grendel

The 6.5 was designed to get the best long range round you could cram into a standard AR with the most commonality of parts.
You are right. I was mixing it up with the 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor is the one that must be put on an AR 10 platform. There is also a 6.5 somewhere that is not much more than a necked down 7.62X39 that is also supposed to fit an AR 15 platform. They all sound fun to try.
D. Brian Casady
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

The hard core wanna bes on the AR forums would flame you for calling anything an AR-10 other than an Armalite. They'd jump up and down yelling that the DPMS and other rifles are 308 caliber AR based rifles, but not AR10's! :lol:
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Let Em flame. :lol: I can see it now someone reporting "there is some idiot over on a Levergun forum building ARs out of No Name lowers and DPMS uppers in 308 and calling them AR10s, somebody needs to go over there and set Him straight." Is that U JB ? :P They r pretty true to Their bastoid wanna be AR. :o Don't hurt My feelins none. AR10 is a lot easier to type than "AR 15 in 308". Have a good one. I picked up a Jig and a lower just to see how easy it is on a drill press.
Perry
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Just use "clip" in the place of "magazine" or I will report you. :o

I have a M&P 10, 308, and plan to take a whitetail with it this fall just to say I did so.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

hayabusa wrote:The 50 Beowulf uses standard .223 mags, at least the AA upper that I have seems to.
The mag is standard except the feed lips are opened just slightly at the front. You cannot use an anti-tilt follower.

I have had good success using unmodified Lancer L5 and E-Lander mags (with non-anti-tilt followers) for the Beowulf.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

JB wrote:The hard core wanna bes on the AR forums would flame you for calling anything an AR-10 other than an Armalite. They'd jump up and down yelling that the DPMS and other rifles are 308 caliber AR based rifles, but not AR10's! :lol:
Right, "because AR stands for Armalite." Except it doesn't. It stands for Armalite Rifle. Because it was designed by Stoner for the original Armalite.

The current Armalite AR-10 is a much different rifle from the original, so I would say it is just as correct to call any .308 AR an AR-10 is it is to call Armalite's an AR-10.

By the way, if you really want to get the "Armalite is the original AR manufacturer" crowd worked up, ask them who Eagle Arms was . . . :twisted:

I general try to call them .308 ARs or something similar to try to avoid confusion and to keep the purists from getting their knickers in a twist.

So have fun with your AR-10s and make sure you have enough 20 round clips! :D

Mine is a DPMS-pattern in .260 Remington. What a tack driver!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

U mean it doesn't stand for Assault Rifle ?! :lol: Maybe Someone should tell diane. 7.62, I like that, the only tack driver I had found a new home. When Someone is willing to pay more than it is worth then U sell. :D
Perry