My "Last" List... What would yours look like...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

My "Last" List... What would yours look like...?

Post by Buck Elliott »

I reckon I'm nearing that point in life, where the road ahead isn't nearly so long as the trails that brought me here.. That uneasy recollection got me to thinkin'..

A short while back, I was in the local boot shop, talkin' with Kevin, the owner.. We've done business for nearly 20 years, and he's a good friend, as well..

I told him I was in the market for ONE LAST pair of cowboy boots.. He listened patiently, then remarked that I should never look at life that way.. I sort of back-tracked a minute, then stated that this would very likely be my LAST pair of kickers.. I now own enough good, sturdy, comfortable boots to last me... nothin' real fancy, but a couple pair that will do, for dress, when the occasion arises..

I own my LAST pair of hiking/walking shoes, and am about to order my LAST pair of White's Packers, soon as I decide on the soles I really want.. Mini-Vibrams or Vibram V-Bar... i am also cconsidering my LAST pair of Winter Pacs.. they can wait a little while.

While I'm busy dressin' myself, I have to get one LAST hat from Roy Mackey, over in Shell.. I already know exactly what I want.. Easy..!

I have my LAST Filson wool jacket.. just the one I always wanted..

I want one LAST, perfect, Single-action revolver, caliber .45 Colt.. And one LAST Winchester '86 Short Rifle, in .45-70.. Of course, that means I'll have to make one LAST set of matching gun-leather.. I'll need one LAST slick-fork saddle, on a 3-B Visalia tree, and one LAST 15hh mountain-raised horse to cinch it to...

I emphasize LAST, because the underlying idea is to have all these items out-last me, and get passed on to someone down the line.., perhaps..

It would also be a great comfort to find that one LAST woman to love and share my remaininig years with.. That may be the hardest item to come by...

So... In a nutshell, there's my LAST list.. Yours may vary..

I hope I never have to know when I start my LAST ride into the mountains, or take aim with my LAST shot at a target of interest.. I don't want to know when I'll be pullin' my boots on for the LAST time, or when I'll share my LAST kiss...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: My "Last" List... What would yours look like...?

Post by AJMD429 »

The other day I was wondering how many more times I'll have to fill the wood-shed...

I guess it's sort of the same thing. Of course when I think about it like that, it makes me tend not to complain as much about having to do it... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I quit buying green bananas.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Booger Bill wrote:I quit buying green bananas.
I quit don' that a while back as well..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

D--n,
I been thinking about that for some time now.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I'm gettin' up there, but I'm an optimist - I still buy green bananas !!!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Recently on the occasion of her 49th. birthday my youngest daughter took a ride in a bi-plane. She said it had been on her "bucket list". She asked me what was on my bucket list. My reply was that there was only one thing on my list and that was attending my 100th. birthday party.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Buck,
Thought provoking topic. Starting to get long in tooth and short in hair myself. In many "things" I have purchased my last. Yesterday, my wife lost a cousin that was much younger than we are. She was not known to have been sick. Her father found her on the floor when she was late for Mother's Day events. In her hand was a Mother's Day card for My wife's Aunt.
We don't often know when our last ...... will be. We mostly go about our lives with the assumption that today won't be the last. I planted a garden this weekend that I hope to harvest this summer and fall. I bought a truck for work last year, used, but hope it will last me many seasons. I traded into a Garand, the last that I will own, on Saturday that I have the hope I will get to enjoy many days shooting. I paid for a high end knife that I hope will serve me on many camping trips, but it may be my last. I always tell those I love I love them when leaving them, just in case it's my last time seeing them. I do the same over the phone. I want those words to be the last words those I care about to hear. I try not to miss out on the opportunities of each day to help someone else. I don't buy green bananas either. My neighbor across the way has had two heart attacks. He's younger than I am. My parents are still here but I don't know for how long. My daily prayers are said as if they are my last. I have few things to purchase other than food and those things that make our life style possible. I have my last mule and I cherish each time we get out for a walk and talk. He is the only one that listens some time. I guess I am certain of a few lasts, but uncertain of the others. I guess I will take each gifted day, a day at a time, glad to feel the ups and downs of each event, hoping that I do better each day in showing those around me how much I love them and appreciate them.

I hope your new boots and hat bring a spring in your step, that the per erect .45 finds it's way to you and compliments that 1886, that you sit tall in that saddle and the young gelding or mare takes to your training as if it could read your mind. I wish you and all, all the best in all your lasts, and may that special person walk into your life. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The only "last" I think about is my Last Confession.................. But, as posted, I've been gradually divesting my posessions (including firearms) through gifts & online sales.

I received my last woman 50 years ago, so she's probably gonna go the course (the longevity in her family is longer than in my family).

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

About 5 years ago I moved to Oregon. "This will be my last move". I bought a new truck in '05, "this will be my last new truck". Then in June of '10 I was diagnosed with cancer. I made it through that bump in the road and I realized I still had a lot of livin' to do. I gave up on "this is my last" type thinkin'. I now think "What's my next ____?" :lol: I got plans and a bucket list to look forward to and I just keep prayin' I got time to do everything I wanna do...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm still a young (not so spry) 50, so my only LAST so far has been to roof my house!

Hey, they are 50 year shingles, right? A guy can hope :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Booger Bill said:
I quit buying green bananas
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But in all seriousness, no matter whether you are 20 or 80, your last breath is only a heartbeat away. That's why it is important to 'get in alignment' with the Lord, cause you never know :o
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:) That bright light over yonder ain't the neighbor huntin' nightcrawlers....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I'm 73 and pragmatic enough to realize I am probably on my "last" of several things. Still, I just keep looking forward to the "next" , keeps me from getting grouchy (most of the time). :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Gosh that "your last stuff" is kinda a emotional downer Buck.

I am going at it the direct opposite.
Thinking at this time in my life--me be getting some, why not?

Last pair of shoes? :lol: Good grief Buck, Unless the old health is going south fast, be careful now might just end up walking barefoot. :wink:
Screw it just go get what you want, and enjoy life.
Get this,

A friend I worked with retired in Feb. (just turned age 60)
He got the incentive deal package they gave him a free 2.5 years full salary/also medical. Spread out over 5 years so the dude won't touch his retirement check or SSI until 65 (so he gets fat checks)Think he is going to dip slightly into his 401K he has been in forever which probably won't phase it?

Pulls up last month in a new 2014 black on black Ford Limited 4X4 Explorer.
Has a contract he wants the wife opinion?
Just signed on selling his brick ranch home here, and is having built a huge 3500sqft new Colonial ponderosa type home with big pillars etc. in some fancy gated community in South Carolina.

Remember now, dude is 60.
Taking out a THIRTY YEAR mortgage. They have already approved him. (till age 90) :lol:

Live bro live! :D Come on now!
If you are doing the last shoe/boot deal splurge and at least get the two for one special.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I gotta question the sanity of lending intitutions that give 30-year mortgages to the elderly....... :roll:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I gotta question the sanity of lending intitutions that give 30-year mortgages to the elderly....... :roll:

Pete,

Guess what?

I read it myself.
Absolutely unreal. However it makes 100% sense.

1)His mortgage has a clause that if he dies/stops payments/ etc. there is a 3 month grace period where his named sibling can assume payments and continue with home ownership or home sale etc.
Example Ike lives to age 79 and dies. Marcus can pick up and only have 11 years left on home payment. And even that since Ike said he is making bi-weekly payments Marcus would only have actually 6.5 years left.
Otherwise the bank gets it.
Also Ike has to carry added Mortgage Insurance that guarantees the home value at that time is current.
Meaning lets say at age 67 Ike looses it, trashes the house and just leaves. The Bank would get if Marcus declines being from that special Insurance what it would have been worth current market non-damaged.

Basically he sold his place for $165,000
Borrowing $145,000 for 30 years.

Payment looked to be $611
Ike said that is about 1/3 price of rent in that area?
Last edited by madman4570 on Mon May 12, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Everyday might be the last time.
Some sooner then others.
Some the world is a lesser place without them.
Some not soon enough.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A new puppy would add to your reasons To Be, or Not To Be 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thank you UncleBuck. My sentiments exactly.

I think about it in terms like I'll never know when I've made the last missions trip to Mx, something that is near and dear to me, but something I will not be able to keep doing forever.

Probably when I get to that bridge I'll be getting close to the time when I also won't be able to drive my wife to and from work. She doesn't drive and that's probably a good thing.

Those markers are the signal for me to get into one of my small boats and head back, like a spawning salmon, to SE AK. To fix up the fixer upper I raised my children in. To share Christ with my aging neighbors. To bless as many as I can while I can. and then. . .

At some time after that it is my wish, my will, my dream, and my ambition to shove off on a one way sea voyage to see what I've been missing all these years, and to spare my family the grotesqueries of the modern industrial death machinery.

My prayers are UP for all of you-all, that you may know your eternal future before you arrive there...

Thanks for the topic Mr. Buck Elliott

Grizz
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:A new puppy would add to your reasons To Be, or Not To Be 8)
If you go by gene factoring of last prior 2 generations of my creators before me both sides, I should make age 93+ :wink:
You guys have me for about another 4 decades. :mrgreen: Lucky people.
Maybe 5 decades cause I (never smoked, and gave up my road bike) :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck Elliott wrote:It would also be a great comfort to find that one LAST woman to love and share my remaininig years with.. That may be the hardest item to come by...

If ya wanna move here to New York State there is a women down the road looking for a man.
She is pretty good looking too and shoots! :wink: about 5'4" 130lbs never married.
Actually she retired from the Marine's in 2013.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

madman4570 wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:It would also be a great comfort to find that one LAST woman to love and share my remaininig years with.. That may be the hardest item to come by...

If ya wanna move here to New York State there is a women down the road looking for a man.
She is pretty good looking too and shoots! :wink:
Actually she retired from the Marine Corps in 2013.
BR-549 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have only one "last"... and that is to see the Constitution Restored to the Ideal of held by the Anti-Federalist Founders... may A. Hamilton and all of his (anto)"intellectual" children forever rot in Hell...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That Ms. J is a smart girl :idea:
She gets one bunch of green bananas, one bunch of yellow bananas.
Gets us through the week :D

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Pete44ru wrote:.

If it's a bad loan they can't make it, if it's a good loan they can. Age is irrelevant. (and they can't legally discriminate nowadays).
Approving loans that get anyone upside down is what they shouldn't do (so we don't have to bail the banks out)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Good conversation, Gents..

My objective was not to throw a blanket over things, but to maybe have us take stock of where we are, what we have to work with, and where we're goin' from here..

I'm 71, and both parents made it to 90 and a bit.. Genetics is on my side there.. uncles & Aunts lived a long time as well...

My footwear is good, solid stuff.. My local boot repairman fixes soles and heels, when necessary.. Too many miles in the rocks, the sand and the mud took out my old Hathorne Packers.. Ordered my White's today.. Vibram V-Bar soles.. They should last me for the duration..

Over the years, I have also found myself in the "divesting" mode, regarding many material things.. I can only do justice to so many guns, and have a decided fondness for my favorites.. I discovered that I don'r need -- or even Want -- a big safe full of shootin' irons, to feel fulfilled or justified.. My tastes have always run to simple, functional surroundings and accoutrements..

I don't dwell on what might be the LAST time I get to see my kids and grandkids.. I won't want to know when that day comes..

Suffice it to say, that until the time all the LASTS in my life converge, and I draw that LAST breath, I intend to put as much into every NOW as I have strength to give it.. Arthritis has slowed me down some, and macular degeneration will eventually take my eyesight, but for the moment, I'm still going strong.. i've had a good run, so far, but I realize I'm coming into the far turn.. May the Good Lord give me strength to make a strong run for the wire...
Regards

Buck

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I am SO blessed to be on this forum. You guys make feel young again! I'm thinkin' about a new engine for the Camaro... or rebuild... Thinkin' about when the LOTTO is going to hit my numbers so I can quit and buy that '55 C-60 and combo livin' quarter & auto trailer... than actually finsih the '55-½ p/u, instead just "planning" to; get a/c put in the old sedan... and start traipsin' around the country in something that eats fuel like it's goin' outta style! Find my '50 Sedan delivery and get a new to me '55 210 workman wagon (2dr)...

Thinkin' about a new horse... wonderin' if I should breed my mare to the neighbor's stallion... (his bloodlines ain't nowhere near as costly as hers)...

And if I should not be upright in the am... it's just fine... every day since Dec 4, 1973 has been a gift from God.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

madman4570 wrote:

She is pretty good looking too and shoots! :wink: about 5'4" 130lbs never married.
I can only say, that if that gal is still livin' in New York State, she just can't be right in the head... I reckon there ain't but a half-dozen Real single guys left in the State, and none of 'em live close to her... If she wants a man so bad, she's gonna have to come West, to the Shining Mountains, where we still raise 'em right... 8)
Regards

Buck

Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Listened to my Grandfather and the "this is the last I'll ever have to buy" speech for the last 30 odd years. We lost Grandpa about 3 weeks ago a week shy of his 90th birthday. As a few of you have pointed out most of the "lasts" were due to declining health and age rather than things wearing out.

We were having a similar conversation at work this morning after we found out a customer had died and the "snot nosed kid" pushing 30 opined that 70 seems awfully young. :) There may be hope for that kid yet.

Hug your kids and wives; and enjoy your time because the clock is running.

Chris
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have no wife, no kids; and less road ahead than behind.
I focus on getting my property properly allocated.
Like who in the ---- am I going to give a Galion 503 road grader to?
Thats a tricky one.
I know Six wants my Ditch Witch, but he would just cause horrid mischief to ensue.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

For some reason the though of six and a ditch witch makes me think of an alligator filled moat. :)

Chris
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol: You may have hit the nail on the head! :lol:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Just bought a '14 F 150 and if it is anything like the one it replaced...it just might be the last.

As far as taking out a mortgage at my age, it does make sense to pay 3% on a home loan if you are guaranteed 6.5% on an investment. As long as you have more money in your investment than the mortgage, what the heck. Then again, when I retire, our house will be sold and I will move to my property way up north and that'll never have a mortgage. Just gotta try and make it six more years. Then the youngest should be out of college.

One thing on my bucket list that I hope to do is take a couple week hunting trip in Alaska. Been there more than a few times, but never had the time to have an extended hunt. Also would like to visit Australia, got close once and awhile, but always seemed to be skedaddled the other way at the last minute.

Tell ya'll what, having a second round of kids in your forties sure keeps the fire lit under your derrière longer than God intended. I have grandchildren that are within a couple of years of my youngest.
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

I feel blessed to be on this forum.
All that have replied to the OP have made great sence.
My last thing I get will be to go to heaven with Christ. Nothing on earth matters as much. At 65 and having had great things in my life and still buying them, they are just "things".
My wife I have is my last wife.
I never think that today will be my last day, but what new can I do today.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I look forward to each new day and the challenges it holds.. Not all days turn out the way I'd like, but I can always hope for a better tomorrow..

A list of LASTS always contains the undecipherable imponderables.. Mostly having to do with close relationships.. "Things" may or may not go on.. Some may find new purpose in the hands (or on the feet..) of their next "owners.." others may be discarded, out of ignorance or apathy.. Still other Things will have outlived their usefulness, and rightly be tossed out..

I believe that relationships live on, in the minds and spirits of the individuals involved, even though earthly association ceases.. That's why I couched this idea of LASTS in a world of Tangibles.. The things we have.. The things we do.. In some cases, I have more than enough Things to last me.. Doing things is something to be pursued daily -- carefully planned or spontaneously acted upon.. don't find excuses not to Do or Be.. Every day is a gift.. Own it.. Don't let life and things own You...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Wed May 14, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've enjoyed reading this thread. There are a lot of wise and right-minded people on this forum. Thank you all for letting me be a part of it.

God Bless
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buck Elliott wrote:Don't let life and things own You...
Amen.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Buck Elliott wrote:
madman4570 wrote:

I can only say, that if that gal is still livin' in New York State, she just can't be right in the head... I reckon there ain't but a half-dozen Real single guys left in the State, and none of 'em live close to her... If she wants a man so bad, she's gonna have to come West, to the Shining Mountains, where we still raise 'em right... 8)

:lol:

You sure are a beauty Buck.
Hey, all the real dudes here they are struck by hot babes being convinced
to marry them.It's tough but someone has to do it. Get off that hill, take up line dancing and get some more get up in your gottcha.
You do seem pretty sentimental though Buck so I wager love just might find ya again.
Go get em Buck. :mrgreen:
Larry
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I'm only 44.... not making lists yet :lol:

Still buying nice guns when I can though, and nice tools, etc.

I picked up a Browning 1886 26" from a member here last month, I doubt very much I will ever part with that rifle :mrgreen:

I like to think of that list of yours as "last" in that it's all stuff that will last.
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

This causes an awful lot of "Soul Searching" both in future opportunities and regrets, friends lost and friends that I don't talk to near enough. In February, I lost a good friend who was one month older than me (just shy of 44), taken in the prime of his life, in seemingly good health, living life like he wanted, following his faith like no one else in my life. He took the time about 6 months before he died to write letters to his kids, 11 and 9, with insightful thoughts that they can take with them the rest of their lives.

As I watched one of my daughters running the quarter mile for a middle school track meet last night, I wondered if there was any question if my daughters and my wife (the one and only) know my feelings. I shrugged it off to being delirious from a stiff 20-25 mph hour wind in my face with 45F degree temps, and not near enough clothes on. Now, I'm warmed up, no excuses, and your insight Buck bring me back to these thoughts. Must be something to it I suppose.

Thanks Buck and all who have responded. Time to write those letters and think about Greg, OPD 1654.

SM
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I turn 49 in June, and the only last I have is my wife. Both families have a history of long life. My Dad is 84, has 3 older siblings still living, and they all still live at home. PillHer's Grandmother lived to 102 years, and was in good health until the last week. She said to one of her daughters, "Stella, I am tired!" and was gone a week later. I may have NIDDM, and be out of shape, but my heart is in great shape, my arteries are clear, and my nerves are in good shape. I may have bought my last knife for outdoor carry, but that is because it is of the quality that I may not be able to wear it out. I plan on wearing out a few other items. I need to wear out a few pair of footwear while getting back in shape. I have lost 10 pounds since February, and it could be that I have bought my last 40 inch waist pair of jeans. That would be a good "Last" item for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I am thinking of my last shotgun, since I love side by sides, I keep wanting to buy my last side by side, but I keep wanting a better one, or maybe just a more prestigious one, like a real British Best, Holland and Holland or Purdey, or Boss. etc. The sad thing is I don't know how may more hunts I can afford to take where I would really enjoy it, as I figure they will be farther and fewer between as I get older and retire if I can even afford to retire.

In reality I don't need any more guns for anything, they will all last longer than I will and I don't have time to use all of them now. I figure to start at some point, giving some of them away to relatives and friends, and selling the rest, except for a few basic end of my days guns.

I do start wondering about buying a last truck or SUV to last out our retired years and I would like to have it paid off by the time I retire.

But some last things I don't ever want to know they are, or will be my last. I figure I am living in the last house I will every live in, as I built on my part of the family farm, and I can't see leaving here, of course something could happen to it forcing me to rebuild, etc.

I think what bothers me the most is wondering if I will ever have to leave, my farm for the last time, to go live in an old folks home or assisted living or Hospice house. That last look back, knowing you will not be, ever coming back. That is the Last Thing I don't ever want to experience. I know I will leave for the last time, I just don't want to have that experience of taking that last look back knowing it's the last look back, I guess.

On another note, I am reminded of some verses in Matthew: Lay not up for yourselves "treasures upon earth", where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steel: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steel. For where your treasure is, your heart be also.

Sometimes I think of those verses, to help me keep a grip on reality, so I may realize the true value of my possessions, and what is really important in my life. I have not always been the best at doing that.

But one thing is for sure, there will be a last gun, a last hunt, a last look, last truck, last solitary walk in the woods, or mountains, last word to a loved one, at least here in this life, on earth, anyway.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mescaline,
Can I have your ditch witch? You know, well, its only right that I get it. Your old and about to die. I'm much younger than you and I will put it to good use. Your 61 and I'm 59 so it just makes sense. I need it for fortifing my compound. I plan on building a moat and filling it with alligators.

While your at it, I'll take the old Willy's Jeep too. Thanks, I'll PM you my address. Please ship ASAP before you croak. :D

Ha! Death and old age consumes many of us in our thoughts. In my mind, I have already done everything that was in my mind from the time I was little. In order to be fulfilled, it does not matter what others think to be "your life's work", it only matters what YOU think. I think I'm done and BABY, ITS PARTY TIME FROM HERE ON OUT FOR ME. The pressure is off and I'm just skating down the incline, and its up to me on how fast I want to go. I retire in 2 years,

I raised my family and watched them do better than me. I've owned, hunted with, and competed with about every cartridge gun ever devised by Mr. Winchester, Mr. Marlin, Frank Wesson, Sam Colt, and Bill Ruger.

OK, at 59 I figure at least 15 GOOD years left. My grandparents both died at 96, my dad at 79 and my mom at 66, so I guess that leaves me thinking....where do I fit in between 66 and 96? I don't give a pelosi. As long as I can pull the trigger and see what I'm shooting at, well, I'm good. My son and daughter can worry about my guns, my tools, house and my fleet of Jeeps. Me? I got to go.........there's some bullets that need to be cast.

Just watch animals....they do not know how long their life is going to be.......they enjoy life until they drop.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:P
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Last things to do, well I guess that would be to try and stick around long enough to teach all the grand kids to shoot, reload and hunt to read sign & track and how to survive in the backcountry and about a good horses. Ive done everything else in life that I set out to save one, to make a mounted cavalry charge against the enemy, I did that but not on a horse. Life is what we make of it enjoy it as its here one day and gone the next. danny

Emerson wrote that if you want to see what man built take a ride in a vehicle but if you want to see what God built take a ride on a horse.
IMG_001919.jpg
IMG_002222.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_002727.jpg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang, Danny....hard to argue that one.

Nice pics-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

That is some beautiful mountain lake.
I love horse cavalry too.
The last man to order and lead a successful US horse cavalry charge was Lt. Ed Ramsey against the Japanese at a bridge crossing a river in the Philippines in early 1942. He never surrendered and led the resistance till MacArthur came back.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sixgun wrote:Mescaline,
Can I have your ditch witch? You know, well, its only right that I get it. Your old and about to die. I'm much younger than you and I will put it to good use. Your 61 and I'm 59 so it just makes sense. I need it for fortifing my compound. I plan on building a moat and filling it with alligators.

While your at it, I'll take the old Willy's Jeep too. Thanks, I'll PM you my address. Please ship ASAP before you croak. :D

Ha! Death and old age consumes many of us in our thoughts. In my mind, I have already done everything that was in my mind from the time I was little. In order to be fulfilled, it does not matter what others think to be "your life's work", it only matters what YOU think. I think I'm done and BABY, ITS PARTY TIME FROM HERE ON OUT FOR ME. The pressure is off and I'm just skating down the incline, and its up to me on how fast I want to go. I retire in 2 years,

I raised my family and watched them do better than me. I've owned, hunted with, and competed with about every cartridge gun ever devised by Mr. Winchester, Mr. Marlin, Frank Wesson, Sam Colt, and Bill Ruger.

OK, at 59 I figure at least 15 GOOD years left. My grandparents both died at 96, my dad at 79 and my mom at 66, so I guess that leaves me thinking....where do I fit in between 66 and 96? I don't give a pelosi. As long as I can pull the trigger and see what I'm shooting at, well, I'm good. My son and daughter can worry about my guns, my tools, house and my fleet of Jeeps. Me? I got to go.........there's some bullets that need to be cast.

Just watch animals....they do not know how long their life is going to be.......they enjoy life until they drop.-----6
:mrgreen: :wink:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Years ago we went home and visited a old aunt and uncle of mine. They got talking about buying another TV as my aunt is almost blind and she wanted a larger one. Uncle frank said he`d like to wait another couple years as the technology was getting better and the prices would come down. Aunt Liz said, Frank! Your already 92 years old. How long do you think your going to live?
He died about three years ago but I think she`s about 98 now.