'94 AE, SRC, 45 Colt Trapper, unfired condition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

'94 AE, SRC, 45 Colt Trapper, unfired condition

Post by trooper joe »

Stopped at a West Michigan gun shop to browse this afternoon, and spotted this 1990 made, 1894 AE, pre cross bolt safety, Trapper model, in 45 Colt, allegedly unfired.

It took me about a minute to justify buying it in my mind (my wife was waiting in the truck outside), and right after they dropped the price $20, I pulled out the blank check in my wallet.

Can't wait to get to the range and get rid of that "unfired" label :).

Trooper Joe

Trooper Joe
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: '94 AE, SRC, 45 Colt Trapper, unfired condition

Post by plowboy 45 »

She'll be happy it didn't take no longer. Nice trapper, happy shooting.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

congrats..nice shooter..have fun at the range!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

DaaaYammm 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Doc.Holliday
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Doc.Holliday »

Very Very Nice; Enjoy.
“Doc was a dentist whom necessity had made a gambler; a philosopher whom life had made a caustic wit; a long, lean, ash-blond fellow nearly dead from consumption, at the same time the most skilful gambler and the nerviest, speediest, deadliest man with a six-gun I ever knew.”
Wyatt Earp: San Francisco Examiner-August 2,1896

sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

Those are neat little leverguns! I have one just like it in 44 Mag.

Steve :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

She's a beauty!

The only warning I can pass along is be careful and don't break the carrier. They are pot metal and break real easy......virtually unobtainable.

Happy shooting ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

sureshot wrote:Those are neat little leverguns! I have one just like it in 44 Mag.

Steve :)
Me too, gota 357 as well! You are going to love it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Sixgun wrote:She's a beauty!

The only warning I can pass along is be careful and don't break the carrier. They are pot metal and break real easy......virtually unobtainable.

Happy shooting ---6
Sixgun,

Not sure if my carrier is pot metal. Here is a photo of my 1990 45 Colt compared to the bottom photo of my 1963 32 Special. Can't really tell the difference. Can you shed some more light on this issue.?

Thanks,

Trooper Joe

1990 45 Colt Carrier

1963 32 Special Carrier

Trooper Joe
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Trooper Joe,
I believe yours is pot metal. The reason I said this was because last month, I was installing a large loop lever for a guy with the exact rifle as yours. I barely stressed the carrier and it broke in two. I searched and searched to no avail. The carrier for the 30-30 is available but not the one for the 45 Colt/44 mag. Guys on different discussion forums said they had the same problem and the only solution is to have it argon welded which is being done as I write this.

Just be careful when taking the gun apart or if you get a cartridge jammed in there. I was a little rough and I caused it myself.=----------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Thanks Sixgun.

I will keep these notes. I don't use my rifles for cowboy action shooting and I rarely take my 94's or 92's apart.

We have a very high end gunsmith firm in Grand Rapids (Bachelder Master Gunmaker Inc) who also serve as a Winchester authorized repair facility. I will talk to them about this issue (sort of proactive). Love this gun. It seems to have a nice crisp trigger let off even though it has a rebound hammer.

It is much nicer than my other 5 Miroku Winchesters were that also had the rebound hammer system (down to 2 of these Miroku's now).

Thanks again (great forum),
Trooper Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 1963 carrier may look similar to the one in your 1990 but it's totally different.
The 1963 carrier is forged and machined. The 1990 is a casting.

I don't know if all of them are fragile or just some. The only ones I've personally seen to break are a couple from 357 mag 94AEs. After examination it was clear they were defective castings from the start.
I don't think the metal used is pot metal, I think it's real steel. I just think USRAC got sloppy with their QC and left the defects in the production run.

I have a 1985 Vintage 94AE in .45 Colt that has fired well over 3,000 rounds, cycled more and gone through many many dry cycles. So far there has been no problems.

Perhaps I should keep my eyes open for a spare carrier just to be safe.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

J Miller wrote:The 1963 carrier may look similar to the one in your 1990 but it's totally different.
The 1963 carrier is forged and machined. The 1990 is a casting.

I don't know if all of them are fragile or just some. The only ones I've personally seen to break are a couple from 357 mag 94AEs. After examination it was clear they were defective castings from the start.
I don't think the metal used is pot metal, I think it's real steel. I just think USRAC got sloppy with their QC and left the defects in the production run.

I have a 1985 Vintage 94AE in .45 Colt that has fired well over 3,000 rounds, cycled more and gone through many many dry cycles. So far there has been no problems.

Perhaps I should keep my eyes open for a spare carrier just to be safe.

Joe
That makes sense Joe. If you can argon weld them and they then work, you are probably repairing the defective part. (I noticed during a web search, that a number of people have had them welded after breaking.) Thanks for the encouraging news about your gun. I know I won't put that many rounds through mine and I plan on being very careful with this carrier.

PS My new AE is so nice, I would like to think that the factory person building it may have taken extra care with the parts and fitting. As I mentioned, it has the nicest trigger let off of any rebound hammer job I have owned.
Trooper Joe
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

Mine's from '85; first production of the 94 in .45. As yours wears a bit from cycling and use, it will get smoother and slicker and will move to the top of your list of favorites.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm glad I didn't find that! I'm already broke...
I have a trapper in .30-30 and an 1892 24" rifle in .45 Colt and that rifle would fit nicely between them :D
Jealous

I DID score a Like New Browning SRC on the AR forum a couple of weeks a go :D :D :D I believe it, too, was unfired. I will soon rectify that as well.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle