Electric eels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Electric eels

Post by Machado »

Strange things dept.: Cayman dies while trying to eat electric eel.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=27 ... =2&theater

Antonio
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Electric eels

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Shocking! :shock: :lol:
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

This news is certainly current. . . . . but I think it's been amped up a bit too much.

:lol:
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Long ago I formulated Eldridge's Law - "No matter how stupid it is, someone, somewhere will do it".

I still await to be proven wrong.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yep....sounds like a croc......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Now THAT was interesting. Unfortunately they cut the video when it was starting to get interesting. I'm VERY curious as to what happened when they got that forquilha (forked stick to the non-portuguese speaking/reading people) and tried to do whatever they were going to do. Green wood transmits electricity very well, and electric eels take a loooong time to die.

For those not familiar with Brazilian jungles, that eel was on a fishing line. The guy saw what he had and very wisely did not try to unhook the critter. The cayman came up, found the ready, waiting meal and decided to take it. I wonder if it was really killed or if it was merely stunned by the jolt it got.

Years ago an eel was caught on a fazenda (farm/ranch) just east of the Araguaia river. It got dragged up on the shore and left to die, which it did but only after many hours. In the meantime all kinds of amusement were had by those in the vicinity as a wide variety of critters came into contact with it. From the rooster that stepped on it to the cat that tried to bite it to the hogs that tried to do the same as the cayman in the video - and they all provided belly aching laughs to the spectators. Oh, it got dragged out and left because having such a critter in the local bathing, clothes washing, drinking water fetching stream is NOT a good thing for the residents of the area. They can kill folks either from the shock or from drowning after being knocked out by the shock.

Machado, thanks for sharing that!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Yet one more good reason to stay in Ohio. Thanks.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Paul, you're right. Poraquês are bad company in the water. Every now and then we hear news of kids being zapped by them and dying - either by diaphragm paralysis or drowning. Disgusting things.
Best,
M.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ohm my, that is not something I would like to connect with. I think I will stay grounded right here where I am at. Since those eels take so long to be discharged, it might be a good idea to have a spark of caution. Anything that has the capacitor to commit assault and battery without even touching you is probably battery left alone.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

piller wrote:Ohm my, that is not something I would like to connect with. I think I will stay grounded right here where I am at. Since those eels take so long to be discharged, it might be a good idea to have a spark of caution. Anything that has the capacitor to commit assault and battery without even touching you is probably battery left alone.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

piller wrote:Ohm my, that is not something I would like to connect with. I think I will stay grounded right here where I am at. Since those eels take so long to be discharged, it might be a good idea to have a spark of caution. Anything that has the capacitor to commit assault and battery without even touching you is probably battery left alone.
I am speechless

Tho I got a little amp-ed up after reading your reply
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:D I'm so proud....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Back in the 60's my uncle imported, raised, and sold exotic fish...some of which are now not even legal to possess in the US. (not sure about electric eels) Over a period of time he had several electric eels and was always cautioning my cousins and myself about not messing with them, we always thought he was kidding us about the potential danger.

One day he had moved an eel to a smaller aquarium to clean it's regular home and for some reason the eel became agitated and sloshed/flopped out of the more shallow tank onto the floor. Unc was yelling at us to get back and trying to get a container into position to re-capture the critter when the neighbors cat, who was used to feasting on "floaters" (dead fish) and watching from the open door, sized the opportunity to get some fresh meat and ran up and grabbed the eel.

I don't know about a cayman, but grabbing an electric eel in it's mouth will kill a cat grave yard dead. We never thought Unc was kidding us after that.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.