How Handy...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

How Handy...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So, I'm visiting my brother this weekend and picking up the HandiRifle I bought about, oh, 8-10 months ago.

This will actually be my first 30-30, but what has me most interested is the accessory barrel program.

This is to be my "loaner" gun for family/friends outings so being able to pick caliber/guage to the event is important.

Handi lists most of the barrels I want, but they don't list all - and they don't sell custom. Does anyone make custom Handi barrels or do I just need to buy a "close enough" barrel and have it rechambered? (I want a 7.62x54R)...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How Handy...

Post by Pete44ru »

Some Handi's can simply be rechambered, as you alluded to - but real Handi-nuts often cut off the barrel just ahead of the chamber, and bore out the resulting stub for the turned-down shank of the barrel of choice (soldered/pinned to the stub, IIRC).

I think, if I went that way, I'd explore threading both the inside of the stub & the exterior of the bbl shank, compatibly, for a stronger joint. (depending on the cartridge)

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I love my Handis. If you go to the Graybeard Outdoor site there is a forum for them.

Check carefully to see if NEF will fit accessory barrels to your action as they have a cut off date sometime in the 2000s, I think. I could be wrong as I've never used their program so I'm not sure of the date.

I had the hungers for a x54r Handi too for years. I think if I was going to make one I'd go with a 30-30, re-chamber it and then just use .308 bullets.

Their great guns.

Cat
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Catshooter wrote: . I think if I was going to make one I'd go with a 30-30, re-chamber it and then just use .308 bullets.

Cat
This. Cheaper and easier.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If you can't find a handi barrel of the correct caliber and twist rate to rechamber you can have it stubbed. http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... bbing.html
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »