Any wannabe .44-40 reloaders out there?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Any wannabe .44-40 reloaders out there?

Post by 1886 »

Well, are there?
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Any wannabe .44-40 reloaders out there?

Post by missionary5155 »

Good evening
I guess I do not clasify as a "wannabe" as I have been reloading 44 WCF with BP and smokeless about 20 years. Fine old cartridge that deserves far more respect than it gets from non users.. But it sure does not discourage me from owning 4 1892's and a "special order" #2 model 1873. Yep the 44 WCF will knock'em out with authority from a 18" and longer barrel.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I wannabe I have bullets brass & dies oh powder also, but no gun :(

ollogger
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Yea , Y
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I'm just starting up.... A ways to go yet !!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm no wannabe either as I have been shooting and loading the cartridge for 50 years or so. I keep my Dillon 550 set up on it and load both black and smokeless. We, (wife and I) have 2 73s, a 92 and I don't know how many Colt SAAs and even a couple of Uberti copies that belong to the wife. Raising our 3 grandchildren has really cut into our SASS shooting but I still burn a bunch of 44 WCF.
Why do you ask?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I dont load them a lot....
but when i started, I crushed one or two starline and win brass
just remember to lube the brass!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Not a wannabe either, loading them for over 20 years also. 4 pistols and 2 rifles in 44-40. My favorite. Why do you ask?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

1886 wrote:Well, are there?
I suppose you could call me a wannabe 44-40 reloader. I've got dies, and a bit of brass, but no gun yet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thk U 1886. Yea I'm a wannabe 44WCF reloader. Have Dies, Brass, Bullet Mould & lead and all the fixins. The only thing I don't have is Time. Even have a Rossi and a Vaquero in the Caliber.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
ndnchf
Levergunner

Post by ndnchf »

1886 - not sure what you are trolling for here.

Like many of the others, I'm no wannabe. I've been reloading .44WCF for nearly 30 years. Its a fine cartridge and one of my all time favorites. It is underrated by many and poo-poo'd by those who feel its too hard to reload. But in my view, there's not a better black powder cartridge out there for a handy size repeater.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've loaded for 44WCF for over 20 years. It's a fun cartridge with a huge "cool factor". There are a few loading quirks but the biggest hurdle is with the guns themselves. There are considerable variations in groove and throat dimensions so take the appropriate steps. Slug bores and measure everything. These things will rear their heads more with smokeless powder than with black powder I believe, though I confess I've not loaded it with black.
I load 44 for each gun individually. As long as I approach it in that manner, I have no problems.
I've shot a few deer with it too. It's a fun cartridge to shoot and very addictive.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Why do you ask?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I am looking for someone who shoots the .44-40 and needs dies and brass. I am hoping to find a new shooter or a new reloader. 1886.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

1886 wrote:I am looking for someone who shoots the .44-40 and needs dies and brass. I am hoping to find a new shooter or a new reloader. 1886.

that's a awesome idea 1886!!
im glad I found out im not the only one that puts the cart in front of the horse
gotta get the gun, most likely a hand gun to start

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

M. M. Wright wrote:I'm no wannabe either as I have been shooting and loading the cartridge for 50 years or so. I keep my Dillon 550 set up on it and load both black and smokeless. We, (wife and I) have 2 73s, a 92 and I don't know how many Colt SAAs and even a couple of Uberti copies that belong to the wife. Raising our 3 grandchildren has really cut into our SASS shooting but I still burn a bunch of 44 WCF.
Why do you ask?
Good ole MM has been reloading the 44 W.C.F. for 10 years longer than me. I have forgotten the amount of original 44 W.CF.'s I have loaded for, from groove diameters as tight as .425 to sloppy old worn out 1873's at .432, along with cylinder throats from .425 to modern Single Action Colts at .433. From velocities from 500 to 1800 and bullets weights from 180 to 265. From Colt single actions, Colt rifles, Marlin and Winchester levers, Remington pumps, S & W single actions and double actions and even an old Merwin and Hulbert.

Like M.M says, " why do you ask?"---- :D -----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, the brass...what kind, how many, price? I'm always buying.---6 :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Although I'm not a .44-40 shooter and have been reloading for years, I've got a buddy that's just getting started in both. Inherited his Grandpop's '92 and just bought a Uberti SA to go with it. If you find no other takers I'm sure he'd made good use of it and be thankful for it. He's been having a hard time finding brass.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

firefuzz wrote:Although I'm not a .44-40 shooter and have been reloading for years, I've got a buddy that's just getting started in both. Inherited his Grandpop's '92 and just bought a Uberti SA to go with it. If you find no other takers I'm sure he'd made good use of it and be thankful for it. He's been having a hard time finding brass.

Rob
Sounds like we found our shooter. Please shoot me a pm with your address and I will ship to you. Thanks, 1886.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I love happy endings. :)

It's been decades since I loaded 44-40. The last time was for an old worn out original Winchester "Papo Amarelo" (yellow throat) '73 that I traded into way down south. A Lee Loader and a Lee hollow point mold got me up and running. The problem was that the chamber was so worn from abuse over the years that it would burst every third shell or so - brand new ammo. So it was a reloaders nightmare - especially using the Lee Loader which is "neck size only". I'd love to give it a try again some day, it was fun while it lasted.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

1886 wrote:
firefuzz wrote:Although I'm not a .44-40 shooter and have been reloading for years, I've got a buddy that's just getting started in both. Inherited his Grandpop's '92 and just bought a Uberti SA to go with it. If you find no other takers I'm sure he'd made good use of it and be thankful for it. He's been having a hard time finding brass.

Rob
Sounds like we found our shooter. Please shoot me a pm with your address and I will ship to you. Thanks, 1886.
Well done sir!

And excellent thread by the way.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

PM sent and many thanks. Bob is a retired fighter and a true friend. I know he'll put these thing to good use and be most grateful.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I almost always end up being handed a few .44WCFs at the range along with my .45Colts. I sometimes don't find it till it runs thru the Dillon! But... if I'm paying attention (as I should), I feel the difference at one of the steps before it gets to the sizing die. At which point I'll set it aside, and when I get about 50 pieces I take it back out to a cowboy match and offer it up to a .44-40 shooter. Always get thanked, but only once have I had someone hand me some .45Colt brass in return! But, it's all good!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!