Ruger LCP Range Report…

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger LCP Range Report…

Post by cshold »

Six shot group from mesured 25’
Fast fire, two hand standing hold.
Ammo. used for this group (not the Rem. ammo. in this picture)
Speer Lawman .380 AUTO 95 GR. FMJ

TECHNA CLIP installed.
I really like it for front pocket carry.

The one problem with it.
I was getting bit with the mounting screw.

The problem screw head.

What I did to hopefully try and solve this problem.
I chucked the screw in the drill press and used a fine file and rounded the head over.
I eliminated the edge as much as possible, polished it with scotch bright pads.
Blued the head to match the gun.
What it looks like now.

Cleaned and all back together.
Keeping this one 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger LCP Range Report…

Post by Blaine »

Those LCPs are "The Berries" 8) .....Mine bites the top of my trigger finger pretty bad, but, it's not for plinking....(I wear a band aide for practice)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Bet that hurt!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Thats pretty good shooting with an LCP! Those are good little guns. I sold mine for the LC9 because I just don't care for the .380 caliber. I shot a hard drive from about 10 feet with a .380 Golddot and it went through the plastic and stopped cold against the thin metal portion. :? I tried several small guns and settled on the LC9. 8+1 Of all my pistols and revolvers it's the one I like the least but carry the most because its small, flat and I forget its there.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mescalero wrote:Bet that hurt!
Ya it does 'now'. :roll: :)
Those little buggers got some back bite to them.
Blaine's right, there not made so much for range shooting enjoyment. :wink:
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

looks like it shoots well!! hows the trigger on it? by the looks of the target it has to be better
than the LC9

Brad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The small guns bite me too.
The smallest I am comfortable with is my Star .380, I put a set of 1911 sights on it that I had to slim down to make it look "right".
I just feel more comfortable with a locked link.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I picked up a new LCP yesterday. To be clear, I'm also not a huge fan of the 380 as a defensive cartridge. I have a BUNCH of better choices in the safe for those times when a gunfight is a distinct possibility. What I've noticed however, is that far too often, they are in the safe, not in my belt or pocket. Here in Florida, it's often too darned hot to comfortably conceal a 1911, or even my Kahr 9mm.
I took the little Ruger to the range today and I'm very pleased to report that it shoots FLAWLESSLY.
I fired a variety of ammunition. Old Glaser "safety-slugs", Remington fmj, old Hornady "frontier" jhp's,my own cast bullet reloads with 124gn RN's. NO failures of any kind. I'm very pleased with the Ruger LCP.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

guido4198 wrote:I picked up a new LCP yesterday. To be clear, I'm also not a huge fan of the 380 as a defensive cartridge. I have a BUNCH of better choices in the safe for those times when a gunfight is a distinct possibility. What I've noticed however, is that far too often, they are in the safe, not in my belt or pocket. Here in Florida, it's often too darned hot to comfortably conceal a 1911, or even my Kahr 9mm.
I took the little Ruger to the range today and I'm very pleased to report that it shoots FLAWLESSLY.
I fired a variety of ammunition. Old Glaser "safety-slugs", Remington fmj, old Hornady "frontier" jhp's,my own cast bullet reloads with 124gn RN's. NO failures of any kind. I'm very pleased with the Ruger LCP.
Did you notice any pressure signs on those Glasers? I have a dozen that were gifted for my .38 spc, but, I'm sort of worried to shoot them.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

guido4198 wrote:I picked up a new LCP yesterday. To be clear, I'm also not a huge fan of the 380 as a defensive cartridge. I have a BUNCH of better choices in the safe for those times when a gunfight is a distinct possibility. What I've noticed however, is that far too often, they are in the safe, not in my belt or pocket. Here in Florida, it's often too darned hot to comfortably conceal a 1911, or even my Kahr 9mm.
Exactly the same reason I made this purchase.
I have a Sig P239 40 that's awsome.
Just to big and uncomfortable to pack in the summer.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

ollogger wrote:looks like it shoots well!! hows the trigger on it? by the looks of the target it has to be better
than the LC9

Brad
Brad,
No issues whatsoever with the trigger pull.
Could be because I'm used to my Sig with the DAK trigger system.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Glad to see your results. It surprises me every time I shoot it.

So far I know of two murders committed with the LCP. The bad guys know a good thing when they steal it.

Anyone know of any bg's stopped with one?
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

BlaineG wrote:
Did you notice any pressure signs on those Glasers? I have a dozen that were gifted for my .38 spc, but, I'm sort of worried to shoot them.
No...I recovered most of the brass from this range session. I didn't count rounds, but I collected a double handful of empties, which is a bunch of those little critters..!!. Some of the Glasers were the oldest model they made...back when the tips were flat nosed (blue color) with a wide meplat. Newer Glasers have rounded blue tips. The only cases that showed any unusual signs were the Frontier. Pretty much every case split from the mouth, down 1/4-5/16th's in. They did this in another .380 I have as well...a Colt Government model, so I have some confidence it's NOT the Ruger contributing to the splits. On the plus side...despite the split cases, there were NO malfunctions.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Grizz wrote:Glad to see your results. It surprises me every time I shoot it.

So far I know of two murders committed with the LCP. The bad guys know a good thing when they steal it.

Anyone know of any bg's stopped with one?
Don't know if it was an LCP.
One shot with the .380 was all it took.
http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/1011 ... vice=phone
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Just remembered Governor Perry carries a Ruger LCP.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 05323.html
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

If someone made a snake/shot load for the .380, that would make it darned hard to resist an LCP.
Glad someone is able to find .380 ammo on the shelf!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That should do the trick (rounding off that pin)!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Ysabel Kid wrote:That should do the trick (rounding off that pin)!
Yes I'm hoping so YK.
I'll give it a try in about a week to see if my fix worked.
I decided to email the pictures & info. to Techna Clip LLC. for what it's worth.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote:If someone made a snake/shot load for the .380, that would make it darned hard to resist an LCP.
Glad someone is able to find .380 ammo on the shelf!
Bill, how hard can that be? 9mm kurz snake rounds... sounds like fun to me.

I missed out on the RD mold buy that makes the 100gr bullet that fits 9mm L, 9mm k, otherwise known as .380, 357 and 38 spcl..... missed out. That one mold would be pretty handy for the medium bore mouse guns. :)

Grizz
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My son picked one up for my daughter in law this week. He shot it today and I was surprised to see how well it shot. Now to get his wife shooting it. She runs the back roads in Kentucky and wants a CC gun, I think it will be ideal.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Why? does she run the back roads in Kentucky?
If it is none of my business, that is an acceptable answer.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I have mine for 2-3 years now, it has near six hundred rounds through it without a malfunction. Two to three inch groups all the way out to 12-15 yds. Mines a keeper, congrats on yours.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

ceb wrote:I have mine for 2-3 years now, it has near six hundred rounds through it without a malfunction. Two to three inch groups all the way out to 12-15 yds. Mines a keeper, congrats on yours.
Thanks ceb,
Definitely get a quality product for the price with these little Ruger's. 8)
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The LCP can surprise you. I shot one in a back up gun match and was very surprised how well you could hit with it out to 7 yards. Even with the tiny sights if you handle it like a full size gun it is shootable. I would feel pretty queasy if it was all I had when something bad happened, but it is more of a gun than it appears.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have the P3AT which Ruger copied with their LCP. The really great thing about them is you always have them on you. They are certainly not the best "stopper" by any means but one in your pocket beats the 1911 in your safe when things get ugly. I bought the Ranch Dog mold for mine and shoot the little gun quite a bit and they are plenty accurate. Great little guns for "all the time carry".
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

I really like that gun as well and have had no issues with mine either.

Now you need to add the magguts kit to the factory mag and it will hold 7+1.
link:
http://magguts.com/?page_id=100

I don't have the clip, but just a silly question. Could the Screw go the other direction so the flat part was on the clip and the round part on the opposite side?
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

retmech wrote:I have the P3AT which Ruger copied with their LCP. The really great thing about them is you always have them on you. They are certainly not the best "stopper" by any means but one in your pocket beats the 1911 in your safe when things get ugly. I bought the Ranch Dog mold for mine and shoot the little gun quite a bit and they are plenty accurate. Great little guns for "all the time carry".
I almost went with the P3AT.
A good friend of mine has one and loves it.
He said the one problem with it is it doesn't always feed hollow points to well.
He said go with a new LCP, one without the - in the serial no. they feed the best.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Udy wrote:I really like that gun as well and have had no issues with mine either.

Now you need to add the magguts kit to the factory mag and it will hold 7+1.
link:
http://magguts.com/?page_id=100

I don't have the clip, but just a silly question. Could the Screw go the other direction so the flat part was on the clip and the round part on the opposite side?
No it doesn't work, I tried it. It was the first thing I thought of to try.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have had my LCP for about three years now. It is surprisingly accurate but a pain to shoot with that horrible heavy and long trigger pull. The only reason I kept it is that it fits in the cubby hole in my truck and that is where it lives most of the time. :D
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I hear a lot of comments about the LCP trigger, what am I missing here. The trigger on mine is very smooth and is lighter than my j-frame revolvers. That's what the LCP trigger reminds me of, the smooth double action trigger stroke of a good revolver. Very shootable for me.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

ceb wrote:I hear a lot of comments about the LCP trigger, what am I missing here. The trigger on mine is very smooth and is lighter than my j-frame revolvers. That's what the LCP trigger reminds me of, the smooth double action trigger stroke of a good revolver. Very shootable for me.

+1 ceb, I didn't think it was all that bad either.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

casastahle wrote:
ceb wrote:I hear a lot of comments about the LCP trigger, what am I missing here. The trigger on mine is very smooth and is lighter than my j-frame revolvers. That's what the LCP trigger reminds me of, the smooth double action trigger stroke of a good revolver. Very shootable for me.

+1 ceb, I didn't think it was all that bad either.
If you practice enough to know when it's going to go boom :idea: It took awhile to get used to Glock, as well.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I traded into a used one last October. For its lack of credible sights, it don't shoot too bad. This is 5 rounds at the body from 25 and 15 yards, plus 5 at the head from 7. I seem to shoot it better when I just block the slide over whatever I want to hit, and yank the trigger straight back. The dang thing has never jammed, with ball, JHP's or either mag.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x187 ... 4a8d4b.jpg
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Nice shooting.
A 380 to the snot locker, dudes goin down.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

casastahle wrote:Nice shooting.
A 380 to the snot locker, dudes goin down.
With kevlar everywhere, the groin, or head makes sense.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Glad you guys like your Ruger LCP's, for me it's the Gen4 Glock 26 in 9mm. I've been carrying a Baby Glock in my front uniform pocket for the last 8 years that I am accustomed to the weight and size...the G-26 is my BUG/EDC (I own two, just shot my 2nd for the first time today)...the good thing about those LCP's is that you guys are carrying something, which is a good thing...with a .380 I always liked a heavier bullet... :)
0422141559.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

casastahle wrote:
TECHNA CLIP installed.
I really like it for front pocket carry.

The one problem with it.
I was getting bit with the mounting screw.

The problem screw head.

FWIW, I avoided the problem entirely on my LCP by using a proven (non-aftermarket) belt clip, taken directly off the Kel-Tec P32 the LCP replaced. (which screw head looked exactly like your mod.)

While accurate enough, I found the LCP fairly "barkey" when shooting - too much IMO, so I replaced it this year with a pristine .380 Browning Model 1955.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Nice setup Pete :mrgreen:
what's that on the the key ring? Mini baton?
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

Ruger redesigned the sights and the trigger a few years ago. A friend had both the old and the new. The old was bad enough I wanted no part of it, the new was good enough I bought one of my own.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

casastahle wrote:Nice setup Pete :mrgreen:
what's that on the the key ring? Mini baton?

Thank you - It's an enclosed mini-screwdriver, just the right size for my eyeglass' hinge screws. :roll:

ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

K1500 wrote:
Ruger redesigned the sights and the trigger a few years ago. A friend had both the old and the new. The old was bad enough I wanted no part of it, the new was good enough I bought one of my own.
My LCP is the old or original model, I am aware of changes Ruger made to the design, mine.....well it works so well I see no reason to upgrade it.
Last edited by ceb on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Good to read about these since I have none to very little knowledge of the new pistols. I've stayed away from polymers but was looking at some of these Rugers. I'm waiting to get my hands on the new Remington R51 9mm, but I guess that is bigger then this 380. I think it is about the size of the Browning 380 pictured above.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Centennial wrote:Good to read about these since I have none to very little knowledge of the new pistols. I've stayed away from polymers but was looking at some of these Rugers. I'm waiting to get my hands on the new Remington R51 9mm, but I guess that is bigger then this 380. I think it is about the size of the Browning 380 pictured above.
If I was to step up slightly in size I would go right to one of these.
S&W Shield in the .40 S&W. A friend of mine just got one a couple
weeks ago. I got to run a clip through it, very impressive 8)

ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

casastahle wrote:
Centennial wrote:Good to read about these since I have none to very little knowledge of the new pistols. I've stayed away from polymers but was looking at some of these Rugers. I'm waiting to get my hands on the new Remington R51 9mm, but I guess that is bigger then this 380. I think it is about the size of the Browning 380 pictured above.
If I was to step up slightly in size I would go right to one of these.
S&W Shield in the .40 S&W. A friend of mine just got one a couple
weeks ago. I got to run a clip through it, very impressive 8)

I agree, while I have talked on this thread about how well I liked my LCP, it is not my primary carry. Frankly, that has usually been a Smith j-frame simply because I trust the 158gr +p LHP over the 90-95gr bullets of.the .380. However I recently bought one of the Smith Shields in .40, so far in a couple of hundred rounds including a couple of different hollow points, it has yet to malfunction and has proven accurate and easy to shoot. So far, I like it.