Winchester 1873 Short Rifle - .357. - anyone have one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1873 Short Rifle - .357. - anyone have one?

Post by vonfatman »

I've had one on order for a year....no joy in Smithville!

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1873 Short Rifle - .357. - anyone have one?

Post by Leverluver »

Got one but due to work and other stuff, haven't worked with it yet. Like every Miroku I have (about every one of them) it is a class piece of equipment. The action is smooth, the trigger is near perfect, the finish is excellent, the wood fit is better than any other Miroku I own and the wood finish, although some form of synthetic, is near oiled in appearance and feel. If it shoots anywhere near as good as it looks, it will be in the box with me when the dirt hits the lid.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nope....dont think i would ever buy a japchester
great quaility ....but... no

uberti 73s in 357 are very popular with the cowboy action shooting crowd...
with a short throw kit installed...also great quality....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

RIHMFIRE wrote:

...shooting mouse fanny burp loads at great big targets, slightly farther away than the end of the barrel. :D
That's no way to judge a rifle. 8)

Don't buy a quality rifle made in Japan, because... I dunno? They were our enemy during WW2?
So buy one from Italy instead, it's not like they were our... oh wait. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Post by OldBrownDog »

I've got the case hardened model in .357. Love it. Everything leverluver said as to fit, finish, etc. is right on. And mine shoots :D .
Probably going to pick up the .44/40 version at some point.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

cas wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:

...shooting mouse fanny burp loads at great big targets, slightly farther away than the end of the barrel. :D

Don't buy a quality rifle made in Japan, because... I dunno? They were our enemy during WW2?
:lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

My Sweetie got me one of the blue steel Winchester/Miroku models for Valentine's Day. (REAL WINNER there....the woman, not necessarily the rifle) We just bought a house and I haven't had time to do anything with it but fondle it. The action is MUCH smoother than the Beretta/Uberti I had that locked open after the 10th shot and Beretta just gave me my money back instead of trying to fix it. Very nice blue, wood finish and wood to metal fit.

Does anyone have or know where I can get one of the '66 folding rear sights with the peep hole in it? I'm wanting to mount this and a tang sight on this rifle.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

cas wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:
I have little doubt if Winchester geared up to produce a quality lever they would sell like hot cakes. It is sad that you have to look to Japan or Italy to produce a true legend of the old west!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Winchester did "gear up.." In Japan.. At the Miroku plant.. Because American Union labor priced itself out of the market..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Buck Elliott wrote:Winchester did "gear up.." In Japan.. At the Miroku plant.. Because American Union labor priced itself out of the market..
+1

Should have moved production to the south carolina plant...with the model 70
but wishful thinking....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

cas wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:

...shooting mouse fanny burp loads at great big targets, YES...Thats true
slightly farther away than the end of the barrel. :D YES on that too!

That's no way to judge a rifle. I did say they were great quality

Don't buy a quality rifle made in Japan, because... Because I dont F'n want too...

Winchester is an American Icon.....that should be made here....
If they called it something else....i would not mind as much.....
I bet John Wayne would NOT allow them to make his Commemorative rifle.....
But FN bought the right to the name...and they can do what they want...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I wish Henry would make a blued .357.....I don't like those brass receivers.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Winchester (Miroku) 1873 is a superbly crafted version of the original. It's lever stroke is shorter than the Uberti, but not as short as the kits sold for the Uberti; nor do the Uberti kits fit. I know of a few CAS competitors that have 'em. I'll ask that they comment.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

RIHMFIRE wrote:
Winchester is an American Icon.....that should be made here....
Here's my take on it, and I don't disagree with you.

I wish Winchester was still an American owned/based company but they're not. And it's certainly not the fault of American Union Labor like was stated earlier. The fact that our politicians sell out to foreign governments and companies and DO NOT attach HUGE import tariffs like other countries do to protect American made products is a FAR bigger issue than Labor. Also the fact that Winchester sat on their laurels for too long and didn't make sound business decisions is also a factor that Remington, Marlin, and Browning shoved up their kiesters in the late 50's, 60's, and 70's. But by far the biggest problem is the liability insurance policy that's included in the price of every gun made due to the love American lawyers and people have for lawsuits.

IF I could afford a pristine, shoot-able, true-to-life Winchester '73, '86, '92, or '95 I wouldn't shoot them....getting them repaired when they break from metal fatigue is almost as expensive as the guns themselves and I like to shoot a lot. Those surviving guns are best left to collectors to protect and preserve for future generations to enjoy.

As far the Italian made Uberti's and Beretta's and being our allies....they weren't in either world war and maybe we should remember who denied our planes over-flight privileges in a couple of situations in the not-so-distant past where American lives were at risk.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

+1. Japan's skilled union labor is better compensated than US.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vonfatman wrote:I've had one on order for a year....no joy in Smithville!
Bob
Your dealer needs a new distributor. A dealer in New Boston, TX has gotten two shipments in the last year. Might still have some... If you want, I'll pm his details to you.

The only comment I got back was that the trigger block safety was a bit on the heavy side. Lightening the spring fixed it... shooter sez it's super now.
cas wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:uberti 73s in 357 are very popular with the cowboy action shooting crowd...
Really? If your intent is to run it fast at big, close targets I can't think of a better way to judge it. And, not everyone in cowboy action shooting shoots mouse phart loads. I do, on occasion, but then on occasion I shoot pretty standard loads. Plus, if your rifle can shoot a 1" group at 50 yards... (fair to middlin' accuracy for a pistol caliber chambered levergun)... then shooting really fast at a 16" plate at 10 yards means that you can concentrate of your speed, not the accuracy. Then again... on occasion, I've just aimed at the small portion of those buffalo targets (the head) and tried to put a lead splatter where the "eye" might be. It's nice to know that my 1873 rifle in .45Colt is capable of that type accuracy... even if I don't need it for playin' that game.

And I still think that more folks participating in any shootin' sport is more important than what that sport entails. The prevailing theory is... folks like to hit targets... make big and close and they're easier to hit. Guys usually have less hassles participating in any leisure activity if their wife also participates. Take all shooting sports... & I'd wager there are more husband/wife participants in CAS than all other shooting sports combined... (I might be wrong... but...). All of which are good things.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I think the short rifle 20" configuration is the best of both worlds, SRC or 24" rifle.
The copies are a bit lighter then original octagons too.

With all the interest there is all it would take is enough of us to invest in a company, locate fireamrs friendly, non-union right-to-work-state and start making them.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I only wish I had one, but there's one thing those Japchester's will always have that those Uberti's won't - a REAL, genuine ROLL mark that says "WINCHESTER". That's worth a lot to me.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

"getting them repaired when they break from metal fatigue..." C'mon Rob.. other than an occaional spring, what are you talking about..? (and yes, most extractors are "springs" of one sort or another..)

japanese union labor is paid more than US union labor..? Maybe. Maybe not, but their productivity exceeds ours by a huge margin.. Labor stoppages and slowdowns and strikes by the UAW severely crippled production at Colt, Winchester and S&W over the years... And the union considered it a "victory" for organized labor..

If someone in Japan or Italy is willing to work efficiently and produce something I want, I'm not too proud to pay him to do it, especially if what I want is not being made here.. Yes Winchester fatally fumbled the ball, and is no longer the great company we fondly remember.. Colt keeps teetering on the edge of the same abyss.. the painful fact is, that the italians are making better Colts and Winchesters than Colt and Winchester are, and they're doing it at a profit..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

For the life of me can't fathom why Uberti stinks up their SRCs with a 19 inch barrel... I mean they get it right by giving us a blued SRC that's true to what most folks bought back in the day BUT :roll:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

So...errr.....where was it the new Henry's action originated from ? :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote:So...errr.....where was it the new Henry's action originated from ? :D
The .22 is a copy of the German Erma Werke's .22 lever-action.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Griff wrote:
Nath wrote:So...errr.....where was it the new Henry's action originated from ? :D
The .22 is a copy of the German Erma Werke's .22 lever-action.
Thought so :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

And Henry's big-bore leverguns are not much more than cosmetically disguised Marlins, on the inside.. The more recent editions have even done away with most of the camofluage.. Nothing really new there... The "new" 1860 Henry is an overzealous effort at resurrecting the old design, at about twice the price if an Italian-made copy.. "Poorly-Made in the USA" just doesn't do much for me..

Anyone who has been reading many of my posts and comments over the years knows that I don't waste a lot of powder, lead or primers on "mouse fanny burp" loads.. With the exception of occasional forays into CAS, my ammunition kinda runs to the limits of the envelope.. Even my Cowboy loads push 800+ fps from a revolver.. Every-day loads turn a '73 rifle into a fairly serious 200-yard hunting arm, and qualify a revolver as a major force, for defense or offense, as the need arises.. I don't expect everyone to follow suit.. But I know that the "tired old" .45 Colt cartridge has a lot to offer, when loaded carefully and purposefully..
Regards

Buck

steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

Getting back on topic. I was at my local store yesterday and there was one on the shelf so I put it on lay-away.
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Ive not found one. I called the Cody dealer...missed that one BUT MANY thanks!!!!

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Post by OldBrownDog »

Try Cabela's if there's one in reasonable distance. I ordered mine through them. You'll pay close to MSRP, but I think that'd be pretty standard anywhere with limited quantity items like this. Shouldn't take too long to get it either.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Armslist has someone in Indiana looking for the same, and an ad in Kansas selling one for $1425
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'm waiting for a .45 Colt version.....
Regards

Buck

OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Post by OldBrownDog »

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... mid=534200

Wait no more........ :D

I have a .44/40 on order..... :twisted:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My dealers are telling me they can't get .45s yet.. Who knows..?

I already have a Uberti short rifle in .45 Colt.. Holds a full 12 rounds.. Butter smooth action.. Sure hope the Winoku is at least as good or better...
Regards

Buck

OldBrownDog
Levergunner

Post by OldBrownDog »

Might be delays from FN/Miroku/Winchester? I ordered my .357 this time last year and didn't see it until August.

I've little experience with Uberti stuff, but I'm pretty sure that if you like lever guns, you'll like the Winoku.

OBD
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

This is where my wife got mine, but he's gone up on the price about $150. That's still at least $100 cheaper than any I've seen locally.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =407579441

Here's another one in .357 that's a little cheaper.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =406660778

I haven't seen any on the Miroku guns in .45 Colt yet.

Rob

Because I can!