OT - concealed carry laws Louisiana?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

OT - concealed carry laws Louisiana?

Post by Tycer »

I have to travel to Louisiana for a funeral Wednesday.

Packing.org is not working for me.

What are the laws for CCW?

I do know they have reciprocity with NC.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTT.. Junior should be able to help.

Sorry to hear about the funeral Tycer... :cry:
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Tycer,

I know a little about the CCW law, but will let the State Police speak:

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html

Reciprocity:

http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#recip

Snipettes of wisdom:

"Act 4 of the First Extraordinary Session of the 1996 Legislature amended and re-enacted R.S. 40:1379.3 providing for the issuance of statewide concealed handgun permits by the Deputy Secretary of the Department of Public Safety & Corrections (DPS). The permit grants statewide authority to a citizen to carry a concealed handgun on his person. A handgun is defined as "a type of firearm commonly referred to as a pistol or revolver originally designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to fire or is capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition." It does not include "shotguns or rifles that have been altered by having their stocks or barrels cut or shortened." "

"Firearm Registration/Transfer Forms
Louisiana law does not require the registration of handguns. However, the law requires the registration and transfer of a firearm. The following is the legal definition of firearm;
"Firearm" means a shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length; a rifle having a barrel of less than sixteen inches in length; any weapon made from either a rifle or a shotgun if said weapon has been modified to have an overall length of less than twenty-six inches; any other firearm, pistol, revolver, or shotgun from which the serial number or mark of identification has been obliterated, from which a shot is discharged by an explosive, if that weapon is capable of being concealed on the person; or a machine gun, grenade launcher, flame thrower, bazooka, rocket launcher, excluding black powder weapons, or gas grenade; and includes a muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not the firearm is included within this definition. Pistols and revolvers and those rifles and shotguns which have not previously been defined in this Paragraph as firearms from which serial numbers or marks of identification have not been obliterated are specifically exempt from this definition."

"Prohibited Locations
R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
A law enforcement office, station, or building;
A detention facility, prison, or jail;
A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;
A polling place;
A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;
The state capitol building;
Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;
Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship;
A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;
Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person."

...and:

"Duties of Permittees
The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1. Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;

2. Submit to a pat down;

3. Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him."

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Perfect. Thanks Shawn.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

And alway remeber that Florida will issue a nonresident CCW permit. So if you live elsewhere you can apply for one of our permits and expand the states in which you can carry.
Just Another Perfect Day In Paradise
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Edit: I thought I had something, but didn't...
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Louisiana law considers your vehicle to be an extension of your home. As such, you don't need a permit to carry in your personal auto. Loaded, unloaded...doesn't matter.

Getting out and about is another matter, of course.

Have a safe trip.

scott
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Yeah, GA passed a law like that here a little while ago...

Your vehicle is private property being the basis for the law, it allows you to have a loaded handgun in it either in plain view or in the glove box, unlocked. FL miraculously passed the same law, and the carjacking rate has plummeted. I rememner Neal Boortz relishing one particular AP story about a lady who shot and killed some jerk who tried to jack her at gunpoint. He pulled the door open and pointed the gun at her, she popped a few rounds into him and he expired right there. We call that DRT: dead right there.

Just for grins and giggles, I checked MA's recprocity status, and was not surprised to find they do not honor ANY other state's carry laws. Of course, for $100.00 you can BUY one. Freaking crooks.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Tycer,

RSY is right.

House to car; drive around; from car to wherever your destination is (if they let bring in your gun); then back to your car; then driveback to your house. ...but, concealed is concealed anywhere else.

Remember: when transporting your gun around in your car, out of sight is out of mind!

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Hell, I carry in Louisianna and always have. Just makes sense.

Fortunately, we have reciprocity, but I would carry anyway.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott64A wrote:

Just for grins and giggles, I checked MA's recprocity status, and was not surprised to find they do not honor ANY other state's carry laws. Of course, for $100.00 you can BUY one. Freaking crooks.
Certainly this does not surprise you? Northeastern states - neck and neck contest with CA, WA, OR, as well as IL, MI, WI & MN for being the most liberal and anti-gun. Boy am I glad I live in SC!!! :D