non-lead ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oneshothunter
Levergunner

non-lead ammo

Post by oneshothunter »

hello im looking for help Ineed a box of nonlead ammo for my marlin 30-30 any help would be great hunts this weekend thanks
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: non-lead ammo

Post by AmBraCol »

oneshothunter wrote:hello im looking for help Ineed a box of nonlead ammo for my marlin 30-30 any help would be great hunts this weekend thanks
Your best bet would be to load up some Barne's bullets over an appropriate dose of powder. There maybe factory loaded ammo with Barnes bullets, but I've never come across any. Where are you hunting and why does it have to be nonlead? :?:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
oneshothunter
Levergunner

Post by oneshothunter »

out here in cali .. the condor at fort hunter ligget army base is eating the lead in the ammo so all the tree huggers are up in arms so we need lead free ammo .. so im looking for a box of non-lead ammo as for loading my own stuff im looking to buy the stuff to load .. right now i have a lee 1000 pro .. hand gun reloader .. im looking into the rifle stuff
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As noted you'll have to look into it quicker if you want to shoot the Barnes in that .30-30. You might look for some PMC Starfire (?)...

Oh, and whereabouts on FT Hunter-Liggett are you hunting? Do you come in via Jolon or the Los Padres National Forest?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Oz n bolivia
Levergunner

Post by Oz n bolivia »

Oneshothunter has the bill been signed by the governor? Did you send an e-mail to Arnold asking to veto the bill? Did any of the wild life Biologist check the dropings for lead bullets. Vultures eat a lot of dead things such as road kills, leftovers from predators. Lead can be picked up in the water they drink, or close to any lead processing place. I've heard it was only 3 condors were found dead.

Oz
Remaining a curious student throughout life renders one’s life interesting and progressive.
Robert Smyth
He stated that the way I feel.
Knowledge is all we do, see, touch, hear, read. What we do with that knowledge shows our wisdom.
oneshothunter
Levergunner

Post by oneshothunter »

oz the birds eat the gut piles of the hogs and deer left behind and so we here in california have to use lead free ammo .. <it> some of us hunters clean are game and put the gut piles in a bag and through it in the trash .. its stuff non-lead is so much more money
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

So, let me get this right. Essentially a really-big buzzard - kind of like a large flying rat - eats anything dead that it can find, and somehow hunters are to blame when the thing gets indigestion and croaks? :?
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

Corbon loads the Barnes TSX bullet in their DPX Hunter line of ammo. DPX is available is many calibers, including 30-30. Not cheap but easy if you need a box.

Bob A
oneshothunter
Levergunner

Post by oneshothunter »

Ysabel Kid wrote:So, let me get this right. Essentially a really-big buzzard - kind of like a large flying rat - eats anything dead that it can find, and somehow hunters are to blame when the thing gets indigestion and croaks? :?
yes ysabel the tree huggers here in cali... have nothing to do but try to get hunting banned .. they all are non mean eaters .. and live off green stuff ..
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

i live in kalifornia also. to the best of my knowledge, that bill has not been signed yet. it is on his desk but not yet law and hopefully it wont be.
Oz n bolivia wrote:Oneshothunter has the bill been signed by the governor? Did you send an e-mail to Arnold asking to veto the bill? Did any of the wild life Biologist check the dropings for lead bullets. Vultures eat a lot of dead things such as road kills, leftovers from predators. Lead can be picked up in the water they drink, or close to any lead processing place. I've heard it was only 3 condors were found dead.

Oz
g rice
oneshothunter
Levergunner

Post by oneshothunter »

gary I have been told at fort hunter ligget its lead free
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

i hadnt heard that but maybe it is now. looks like theyre jumping the gun. looks like we are really screwed too.
oneshothunter wrote:gary I have been told at fort hunter ligget its lead free
g rice
phlatnose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phlatnose »

Here is my take on hunting and use of military bases.
The person who controls the base has the ultimate say in what happens at the base. State and federal hunting regulations apply to each base. Further restrictions on seasons, animal take, use of lands, weapons, type of ammunition etc etc may be further restricted by order of the base commander.
Even though lead has not been restricted by state or federal law, the base may impose its own restrictions. Base laws and restrictions are in addition to state and federal laws.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The 1000 will load 30-30 just fine. Since you are used to it, I would suggest picking up a set of dies and going for it.

OTOH, NO ONE should be without a Lee Classic Loader for their "primary" guns.

At less than $20, how can you lose?

Get your dies and get some Barnes X bullets. You will be fine.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Fort Hunter Ligget is betting on the law passing and went lead free about a month and half ago. I dont think I will be going up there any time soon especialy if the bill gets vetoed and they dont drop their ban.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=560751

Midway will shoot it out to you. Let us know how it works. You'll also need it if you go to the Tejon Ranch (although who can afford THAT)
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
oneshothunter
Levergunner

Post by oneshothunter »

thanks guys and so the lee 1000 will load rifle shells i have been loading my own 9mm 44 mag 357 but didnt think it would work .. Ineed to check into that that would save me some money not havin to buy a rifle press again thanks