PUMA / Rossi Model 92 versus Marlin 1894C

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

PUMA / Rossi Model 92 versus Marlin 1894C

Post by Gunnie 12 »

Buying my first lever action and have paired it down to these two rifles chambered in .357 / .30 spl.

Pro’s and Drawback’s of each rifle?

Is one a better a purchase over the other?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One is not better than the other, just different. However, if you get a Rossi 92 get it from Steve's Gunz. Steve slicks it up and sells it for less than you'd pay for a factory Marlin. The Marlins do slick up real well though, with use!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I told you in the other thread I generally like Marlins. Theres many reasons for that but the biggest one for me personally is the simplicity of the action.
Theres simply no comparing to either a 94 or 92 Winchester action. Nothing wrong with them, their just more complex. One screw & you can pull the bolt from any Marlin centerfire & clean it from behind. 4 more & the actions apart.
I tend to tinker with things & like simple. :D
But that doesn't make it better.

The Rossi's are the stronger gun & are available in many more configurations than the Marlin. I like the 92 & if I had more money would have a Winchester 92. But I dont so I bought a Rossi. Got it how I wanted it & lucked into a pretty good one. The chambers on the large side but its smooth as all get out & more acurate than I am. I dont regret buying it a bit. I just dont take it apart much. :lol:

So I guess the Marlins better because its very easy to clean & work on, & the Rossi's better because its stronger & can be had in more configurations.

Since its your first you oughtta just get them both. :wink: :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:One is not better than the other, just different. However, if you get a Rossi 92 get it from Steve's Gunz. Steve slicks it up and sells it for less than you'd pay for a factory Marlin. The Marlins do slick up real well though, with use!
Ditto 100%! :D My Rossi '92 has a Steve Young, a.k.a. "Nate Kiowa Jones" (Steve's Gunz) action job and it is the smoothest lever I have EVER felt. It will spoil you silly! 8)

I'd give the old Winchester '92 design the edge on looks (if you have Steve remove that gawd-awful safety on the Rossi), and probably a slight edge (debateable) to the Marlin on strength. Really, it is like comparing ice cream. One guy likes chocolate; another strawberry, but to me, both are good!!! :D :lol: :wink:
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Both have had their problems with feeding and some can be very picky about what they feed. Since the problems are so common, there's people who know exactly how to fix them.

The plus for the Marlin is it allows a scope if you're so inclined. Also, they're made in the USofA so warranty or repair work shouldn't be much of a hassle.

The plus for the Rossi is no front ramp sight. I can't stand them on any lever.

Both are running about the same price, so if it were me I'd go for the Marlin.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I like the EMF M92s, tuned by Steve, so much that I have sold some guns to get what I want and some friends think I am a little touched in the head. And these Levers use the original scopes: receiver or tang mounted peeps.. :wink:

But these buddies just misunderstand life, and Levers, that's all. And I have already gotten two of them started; one Marlin 1894 and one Winchester M94. :twisted:

Whichever you get, it should do well for you.
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

My 1894C (2006) is smoother than my pre-safety non-slicked-up Interarms Rossi (circa 1980?), but the Rossi is better looking. I plan to scope the Marlin but that is not an option with the Rossi.
Get both like I did.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
357dude
Levergunner

Post by 357dude »

I like the Puma 92 better. It's slicker looking, balances better and I feel the fit & finish are better than the Marlin. But both work!

Did somebody say scope? No thanks!

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I also have a Rossi 92 that has been worked over by Steve Young. Couldn't be happier w/it. It's one of the older Interarms imports that I found new in the box for $250 at a local show. Slicker than snot and a great shooter!

I'm a big fan of the Marlins too. I don't have a 357 but my .44, .45, 450M and 45-70 are all very accurate rifles.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The Rossis also come in Stainless Steel at a significantly lower price than the SS Marlins.

But, as mentioned, if you like carrying handles... err... scopes on your rifles, then the Marlin is easier to deal with. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is largely a matter of taste except for the scope issue on the Marlins and the avilablilty of Nate Kiowa Jones on the Rossis.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Marlin is easier to clean from the breech, than the Browning design, because it's very simple for a user to remove the lever pivot (1 screw) and wthdraw the bolt out rearward - thus saving the muzzle from any possible cleaning rod damage, over time.

It's also easier(cheaper) to scope or peep w/o gunsmith assistance.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pete44ru wrote:The Marlin is easier to clean from the breech, than the Browning design, because it's very simple for a user to remove the lever pivot (1 screw) and wthdraw the bolt out rearward - thus saving the muzzle from any possible cleaning rod damage, over time.

It's also easier(cheaper) to scope or peep w/o gunsmith assistance.
Back to the "take it apart" vs. "bore snake" debate eh? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Back to the "take it apart" vs. "bore snake" debate eh?]

Naw - I am firmly of the opinion that boresnakes make a great re-enactor's belt.
Especially, if one is re-enacting "The Fernvlle Flasher", etc. :wink: