Best Bullet for the Uberti 73 in .357?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Best Bullet for the Uberti 73 in .357?

Post by Lastmohecken »

Does anyone have some proven recommendations for a good hunting bullet for the 73 in .357? I know I shouldn't hot rod the 73, but I would like to develop a good reliable feeding hunting load for it. I am not a big fan of roundnose bullets but they would probably feed the best. My gun fed Remington jacketed flatpoints just fine today. I though about getting a good cast bullet, one I could purchase from a custom bullet castor. I have always been a fan of the heavy semi-wadcutter, for hunting, I guess I have always agreed with Elmer Keith, too much, and I may experiment with it. I would like to use about a 170gr Keith style, but I don't know if it would feed right or even if the crimping grooves are correct for overall length.

Any suggestions, hopefully proven ones would be appreciated.
NRA Life Member, Patron
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: Best Bullet for the Uberti 73 in .357?

Post by GoatGuy »

Lastmohecken - I use 158 grain, copper plated round nose flat points and 2400 powder in my .357 Rossi '92 for plinking and practice. About 1,600+ fps I figure. They work fine for me. Would use a similar profiled factory load for medium size game, like the 180 grain Winchester Partition Gold. Would be just the ticket in that '73 also, I would think.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The '73 is a 'straight feed' design, which means that bullet-nose shape is far less critical than it would be in a rifle with a pivoting carrier, such as a Marlin or Winchester, or most others on the market..

You are correct in assuming that overall cartridge length can be critical.. You have some Small lee-way on the minus side, but rounds that exceed the length of the lifter will tie the gun up, tighter'n Dick's hatband..

Your '73 will digest a lifetime of loads that do not exceed SAAMI pressure specs for the carrtridge.. For loading relatively heavy bullets, I recommend some of the slower-burning powders, as a way of avoiding or minimizing rapid, initial acceleration and the resulting 'hammer' effect on the rifle's internal works.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
bonusmarple
Levergunner

Post by bonusmarple »

I don't hunt with my 73 but, here is what I have worked up so maybe this will help.

I load to 1.600 oal. 158gr Dardas round flat points. 7.1 gr of hs-6 with winchester spm primers. This is roughly 1300 fps out of a 20" bbl. 12.0 gr of 2400 for 1600 fps. Neither are likely hot rod rounds. Pressures are under 20k and 25k per quickload. You can cross ref to reloading manuals as well and pressures stated are believable. Hs6 basis can be found on hodgdon site. 2400 I believe in the 4th lyman cast lead manual.

Both are 1-2" loads with open sights at 50 yards.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

http://www.rimrockbullets.net/catalog/i ... ucts_id=42

I haven't shot them yet but they appear to to have as good of a flat nose as can be expected to feed properly. They also make the exact same style but in 180 grain. There will be no expansion no matter how fast they are driven. They are a very hard alloy; almost linotype.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Your first bullet can be whatever you want, it doesn't have to feed.
Slow is just slow.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Good ideas, thanks felllows
NRA Life Member, Patron
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Check with Tycer, a few years a go he sent me a bunch of his cast 180 grain bullets plain base and gas check. They are some of the best I have seen. I believe this is his hunting bullet.

Reckon you still got plenty of ice and snow.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

JerryB wrote:Check with Tycer, a few years a go he sent me a bunch of his cast 180 grain bullets plain base and gas check. They are some of the best I have seen. I believe this is his hunting bullet.

Reckon you still got plenty of ice and snow.
Plenty of snow, it was sorta melting a little on top, my road home is on a north slope and steep. I made a run at it in 4 wheel drive, and it was slippery, I was spinning a little to get over the top. There are two rigs hung up on the mountain dirt road, and I will have to be careful, in the morning not to slide into one of them. You would think that some of my neighbors would get it figured out after a while, and own at least one vehicle that could get them up and down in bad weather.
NRA Life Member, Patron