New to Lever Actions: Where should I start?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

New to Lever Actions: Where should I start?

Post by Gunnie 12 »

What lever action manufacturers have good products?

What is the recoil like on these rifles especially in .38 or .45 colt?

Recommendations on buying my first lever action rifle?

How are Puma Lever Action rifles by legacy?

Thanks in advance!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

What lever action manufacturers have good products?
Marlin, Win, browning, Rossi, Henry
What is the recoil like on these rifles especially in .38 or .45 colt?
Negligable.
Recommendations on buying my first lever action rifle?
Handle a few & shoot them if you can. Theyre all good guns.
How are Puma Lever Action rifles by legacy?
Theyre Rossi's. I like mine. :D
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

Post by Gunnie 12 »

Remember I am a "newbie" here - the ammo is basic psitol ammo; i.e. .38 spl, .357 or .45 correct?
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Welcome, Gunnie 12!

Post by CaptainFinn »

Welcome to our new board !

There's a fantastic array of old and new leverguns out there. Most are great out of the box, but some slight 'tweaking' of the guns by those in the know can make a good rifle even better.

I haven't found recoil to be a problem in the .38/.357 or .45 colt guns, although the rifle (crescent) buttplate on my 92 rifle can get a little uncomfortable with hot .45 loads. It doesn't compare to my old Remington 7600 .30-06, though.

The Pumas are manufactured by Rossi and imported by Legacy. These rifles have been around for many years under many different names. (I have three older versions imported by the now-defunct Interarms.)

They are good guns, good values for the money. Different importers have different options available--stainless steel vs. blued or case-hardened, etc. I believe one or more importers even make a brass-framed version, historically incorrect but I guess there is a market for them somewhere.

The 92's are STRONG guns, stronger then the '73 Winchester and maybe even stronger then the somewhat larger 94 Winchester. Read some of Jim or Paco's articles for more information.

Nate Kiowa Jones aka Steve of Steve's Guns has what looks like a fantastic deal on 92 rifles and carbines. If I was buying my first 92, I'd get one from him. They have had all the work done that you'd have to get done to turn a box-stock 92 into a sweet shooter.

If you reload, I'd recomment getting a .45 colt 92, either a rifle or carbine depending on your tastes. If factory ammuntion is your only option, a .357 would be hard to beat, you'd have a fantastic array of ammunition to choose from.

Again, welcome to the boards and let us know what gun you end up getting ! (With pictures, of course !)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's right, other than you can generally raise the bar on power and velocity when shooting them out of a rifle.
Old Law Dawg
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Gunnie 12 wrote:Remember I am a "newbie" here - the ammo is basic psitol ammo; i.e. .38 spl, .357 or .45 correct?
Depending on the gun you choose yes those calibres are available.
The Puma is only available in short cartriges. Marlin, Win or Brownings can be had in bigger calibres. Browning made a 1886 45/70, Marlins can be had in pistol cartriges as well as 30/30, 35 Rem, 45/70, 444, .450, .375, 38/55, 32 special ect. Win are chambered in moswt of the same calibres.
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

Post by Gunnie 12 »

“Thank youâ€
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I'd start by going to the main Leverguns site and reading the articles there. You will spend hours of enjoyable time and you will learn a lot of the answers to your questions.

I have a Marlin 1894 in each of .357, .44 Mag, and .32-20. Love them all, but I probably stick with the .44 Mag if I had to have only one. That is mainly because it is sighted in for the same ammo my main hunting handgun uses. Just too handy to have one load for the two different guns.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, there's "Factory" then there's "Factory".

I'm partial to the .357, but in Factory the .44 can do more, and less too.

The .357 lets you shoot .38sp - much cheaper and easier to find than .44sp.

Then there is "Factory" ammo like Buffalo Bore which take the gun to a whole different level of performance.

But for my money, the .357 offers the most economical versatility from .38 plinking up to White Tail sized thin-skinned game with good quality .357 ammo.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Well, I have heard that quality control can be hit-or-miss with Marlin, but you can say that about just about any manufacturer. I have never been able to figure out why the .30-30 Marlin sells for hundreds of dollars less then the .45-70 when it is the same darn rifle except for caliber.

The Puma is a nicely put-together gun, Rossi has been making them forever, and they seem to have a better reputation then the italian-made 92 copies. I believe that a decade or so ago, most of the importers of the old Armi-San-Marco manufactured guns dropped them because of spotty quality control issues.

If you see a Puma (new) for under $425, snap it up. If the price is subtancially higher, give Nate Kiowa Jones a call, his guns have been tuned for reliable feeding and have excellent trigger jobs and sight, which are the three areas you will probably want to improve on a factory-stock rifle.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

For inexpensive fun, plinking, small game, critters, etc. you really need a 39A. :wink: Compare the cost of 1000 rounds of .22 ammo to factory centerfire.

Just a thought.....
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Most all can have quality control issues. Good thing about Marlin is they are very good about taking care of it.
Rossi's feel solid because the Win 92 action its a copy of is a solid action. Dont be fooled into thinking this means theyre better guns. Many of them have issues too.

Marlins 30/30s are cheaper because they make & sell many more of them.
Been awhile but my 45/70 was about $500, I imagine a new 336 is about $400. I dont think thats out of whack.

Personally, out of the bunch I like Marlin the best overall. But I did buy a Rossi. :lol:

JMHO but if I were to steer clear of any it would be Winchester, especially in pistol calibres.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Here are three that would do it for you. I bet you could find any of them in .45LC or .357Mag.
These are Winchesters, and I'm partial to them, but Marlins are good, too.
You've made a good decision to get alevergun, you couldn't ask for more.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/leve ... .php?t=305

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/leve ... .php?t=412

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/leve ... .php?t=489

I found a Win Model 64A eight years ago at a gun shop in NH for $327.00 and LOVE it.

It's in .30-30.

When you decide which one you want, PLEASE post pics and share your newfound joy with us.
:)

BTW, Marlin has a really nice .45-70 on the market for lots less than Winchesters...

(There, the big-bore bee in the bonnet has been successfully planted,)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, Pardner !

[Where should I start ?]

By getting your "significant other"something really nice - 'cause you're about to get in seriously deep. :D
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Pete44ru wrote:Welcome to the fire, Pardner !

[Where should I start ?]

By getting your "significant other"something really nice - 'cause you're about to get in seriously deep. :D
:lol: Pete44r....your not kidding!
If I was just starting out with lever guns I think I would get either a Marlin 1894 or Rossi 92 in .357 Mag/.38 Special. Took me many years to get one myself and ended up with the Marlin Cowboy Model. as I learned from others here, the old .357 really wakes up in a carbine barrel and is just plain fun to shoot! I wish I did not wait so long to get one.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

LMAO, pete said it right!
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

Post by Gunnie 12 »

How is the .357 recoil out of a PUMA / Rossi Model 92 Carbine 16"?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[How is the .357 recoil out of a PUMA / Rossi Model 92 Carbine 16"?]

About like throwing a fist-sized rock through a window.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The .357 is a very good choice for your first lever. Most of the reasons have allready been given by the guys here.
You will have more fun with it if you invest in a simple reloading kit and start rolling your own. Have fun! 8)

As for recoil of the .357, I never thought there was any recoil from mine.
It just depends how sensitive you are to recoil but the .357 is just about the softest kiking round I would feel comfortable hunting deer with. :)
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Shoot, I'll bump this...

I recently got a Ruger Blackhawk in .357Mag and love it. It's not even much of a kick in a Blackhawk with a 6.5 in. barrel, so I bet it's negligible in a long arm. Try it, you'll like it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You're on the right track if you buy a new levergun AND a pair of nice ear rings at the same time.

Rusty <><

PS. the ear rings are for her.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Find one that stirs your soul. 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You either want us to write a book or make your decision for you, I'm not sure which. There's a lot to learn and you'll enjoy the ride. Look for and get some books on the subject and hang out here for a while.

I think you should get a Marlin M39 Mountie, then the 1894C, then a 336, then an 1895 and then start on the Winchesters. That's some serious money but you should have your wife well broke in by then and you'll also know all the ins and outs of earning all that money you'll need for guns, reloading stuff, and jewelry or something else the wife fancies. My wife likes to travel (if she didn't want me to go along it would be about perfect!) and so that's what she gets! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Darn it Hobie - you stole my thunder! I was just about to make the same recommendation.

Gunnie 12, if you are new to shooting period, start with a .22 lever-action. Even if you are an experienced hand, there is little more enjoyable than burning hundreds and hundreds, nay, thousands and thousands of rounds of .22 Long Rifle through any gun, especially a lever! Almost anyone who can afford a gun can afford a lot of .22 ammunition, so practice is cheap and enjoyable.

If you reload, a .357, .44 Magnum, or a .45 Colt are very flexible platforms and a ton of fun. You can load anything from *****-cat target loads that won't feel that much different than the .22 all the way up to some pretty smoking stuff. Really repends on what you will be using the rifle/carbine for.

If you are thinking about hunting anything larger than deer, I'd go past the .30-30 and start thinking about the .45-70; either a Winchester or Winchester-clone, or a Marlin. Again, depends on what you are going to do with it.

Good luck. Post a picture when you decide. My best advice, buy the .22, and then a pistol-caliber one, and then a .30-30, and then a .45-70, then cycle back to .22 and repeat the process frequently!!! :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[PS. the ear rings are for her.]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

reddnek
Levergunner

Post by reddnek »

Marlin for me calibers up to you.I'd pass on the pistol calibers and go with a 30-30 FWIW
GIT 'R done
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote:You're on the right track if you buy a new levergun AND a pair of nice ear rings at the same time.

Rusty <><

PS. the ear rings are for her.
Never mind the P.S. So how long have you been wearing ear rings hmmm! Next you,ll be letting slip you like to hunt in high heels well let me tell you- don,t because it wrecks, er oops :oops:
Any ways Gunnie 12 check a Win 94 out them there modern Marlins are a bit like handling a chair leg. Big fat chunks of wood slowing it up and all, a 94 just slips to the shoulder effortless like :wink: ( Hiding now before a brick comes through the window from some misguided marlin lover :roll: )
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
tkcomer
Levergunner

Post by tkcomer »

My Rossi is the 20" stainless version in 357. You can see it here: http://www.pixagogo.com/7789414121 I did replace the safety with the plug that Mr. Young sells. Very simple to do and you don't have to take the gun apart to do it. Recoil is negligible. I do reload cast bullets for it, but full power defensive loads don't seem to kick that much harder. I haven't tried 38s though it as I load wadcutters in that round. They will not cycle at all through this gun. It's fairly accurate out to 30 yards, which is all I've tested on a bench with my reloads. Too much fun shooting boxes and what not. The wife just loves it for it's lack of recoil. It's a fun gun. Goes great with my black powder pistols. I don't think you can go wrong with one.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

My first lever was a Rossi SRC in .357/.38 20 inch blue; found a nice used one pre-safety. I don't reload (yet) so shoot factory loads and it cycles and shoots all that I have tried. It is the most fun gun I have ever had. Everyone who shoots it likes it. New ones are on sale all the time for $399.00 from a Western US sporting goods chain called Big 5. If there is one near you keep your eyes on the Sunday paper ads. You will not regret getting a Rossi, and .357 and .38 ammo is plentiful and cheap.
Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Gunnie 12
Levergunner

Post by Gunnie 12 »

These cowboy / lever action rifles can be shot by left-handed individuals?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Gunnie 12 wrote:These cowboy / lever action rifles can be shot by left-handed individuals?
Yes. They ain't just for cowboys... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I think a Marlin 1894 in .357 makes a good little all around plinker and small deer hunter. Then tell the wife you need a .22 so you can practice cheap. Then start collecting, with a 336 next on the list.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Gunnie 12 wrote:These cowboy / lever action rifles can be shot by left-handed individuals?
The top eject Winchester is probably a bit easier to use left-handed than the right-side ejecting Marlin...