OT- Budweiser Clydesdales

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Budweiser Clydesdales

Post by Andrew »

If you've never had the chance to see them, your missing out.

If you ever get the chance to see them, do.

Pomona, MO
The tent that they get exhibited in...

The trailer they got primped at....

Up close to a gorgeous lookin' horse....

The BEST looking one with the COOLEST name....

If you can't tell, they are very large horses. I took all the photos and I am 6'5''. They be big. :shock:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fresh out of horseshoeing school I apprenticed for several months with the guy that did the Disneyland clydesdales in Anaheim, CA. Quite the experience.

They're the smallest of the "draft" breeds. They average 18.5 hands at the whithers (top of the foreleg shoulders) and run 1800lbs. or a little better. That's 6'2". The Shire is the largest, IIRC, and run up to 23 hands go 2200lbs.

Sorry Andrew, but the best looking one I ever saw was a coal black, named appropriately, "Black Bart!" That was in 1975, shortly before I got hired by the County. Gosh... memories!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

I saw the bud horse once about 15 years ago there big dame big
they were giving out free draft beer i went back a few times for a refill :shock:
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I love draft horses...

I got to tour the Budweiser plant in NH once, and it included seeing the Clydesdales. They really are huge, but like Griff said, they are the smallest of the draft horses.

I once mucked stalls for a couple back in the HS days, and aside from a handful or Morgans and Arabians, they had this one Belgian draft horse who measured 20 hands. He was gorgeous; chestnut reddish brown with long blond hair around his hoofs. His name was Sammy.
Funny thing was, the relatively short Arabians were for the most part neurotic and ill-tempered and would try to pull you down and step on you if you let them. They were the priciest.

The Morgans were ok for the most part, but one of them would try to bite you any chance she got. I requested that the halter be on when I went into her stall.

Sammy was given to the farm owners to settle a debt, and he was the nicest horse I've ever met. As you aproached his stall, he'd nod really fast and stomp his hoof, then crowd you at the gate to nuzzle you. He would lower his head to be haltered, and then all you had to do was walk with the lead in your hand. He followed and you could tell he was happy to please you. I never put him in the same pen as the others just so I could hang out with him and walk around without him being tied. He followed and would trot behind you if you ran, and then try to get you going to play with him. Such a good boy.
I've seen a few draft horses since, and so far they have all been really mild-mannered and giant.
That's a good group, there.

*Bump*, so others will read this and maybe be inspired to check out draft horses, preferably ones who help haul BEER!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

There at the LA County Fair every year. I never miss a chance to go and say hello. Very impressive animals. I doubt they were what was in mind though when 1 horsepower was defined.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Very cool!

I've been researching and wanting to get my first horse. Wonder how the smaller draft breeds would fare as a saddle horse???
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ha ha Craig...

Like driving a model T on a corduroy road, only slower.

Plus, you'll need a stepladder!
Actually, I'm wondering if there are any cross-breeds with Morgans or something.
But as far as horses go, a girl I work with bought a pregant mutt mare for $500.00 and she was awesome. The colt that was delivered is gorgeous and sweet-tempered, so it goes to show you don't need to spend a whole lot to get a good first horse.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I luv draft horses. I have often wondered how their name came about. Please, someone edumacate me. Thanks. 1886.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I live here in Florida not too far from Busch Gardens in Tampa. The Clydesdales appear in this area from time to time. They are poetry in motion.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

8)
I love the draft horses :D
Saw the 6 horse hitch teams this year at the state fair.
Only 17 teams and wagons , but a great sight to behold.
My wife got a bunch of pics .

Phil
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Those are really cool horses. We saw some this year as well at Sea World in Orlando. :D
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Scott64A wrote:Like driving a model T on a corduroy road, only slower.
That's pretty descriptive! So, not exactly the Cadillac ride of the Tennessee Walker?
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

The way i hear it was that they pulled the draft wagons for Budweiser so when they need them to pull the draft wagon they call for the draft horse's
One of the drivers told me that when i had my bar
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

The way i hear it was that they pulled the draft wagons for Budweiser so when they need them to pull the draft wagon they call for the draft horse's
One of the drivers told me that when i had my bar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. 1886.