OT-reloading find?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

OT-reloading find?

Post by 505stevec »

I was looking at getting into reloading and was considering a Lee Challenger kit. Well a friend is selling a Dillon 1050 progressive, a Dillon 650 Progressive, 5 pistol die sets, tumbler, and a few other things for $1200. Now what I hadnt considered is tempting. Another friend told me that this is definitely a great deal and it is about $3000 worth of equipment. This is probably too much today but for future consideration I would kick myself for not getting it. What say you all who know reloading? Any opinions appreciated.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I would strongly advise any person starting in reloading to begin with a single stage press and not progressive reloading equipment. A savings of money is not always a bargin.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I started reloading for my Colt .45 in 1960 and still use the same C&H C press and dies though I have added alot more dies. It mite be slow but so am I.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

+1 You will make some mistakes, a progressiove allows you to make more, faster. Sides, You'll ALWAYS have need of that single stage.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Ok, I am thinking of getting into Cowboy Action Shooting. I have already ordered the single stage Lee at $99. I have the money for the Dillon deal. would I be stupid to pass this up? Or should I wait and see. I kinda think maybe not but I dont want to regret not getting it later.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

If you've got $1200, jump on it!!! You can still use those progressives as single stage presses til you get comfortable with going through all the motions at one time.

Do NOT pass this up, you will regret it! :shock:
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

505stevec wrote:Ok, I am thinking of getting into Cowboy Action Shooting. I have already ordered the single stage Lee at $99. I have the money for the Dillon deal. would I be stupid to pass this up? Or should I wait and see. I kinda think maybe not but I dont want to regret not getting it later.
A single stage press will teach you the needed basic's for reloading. You will always need a SSP.

As you learn you can keep your eye's out on E-Bay or Craigs List for a pre-owned Dillon. I have never bought a Dillon new, Dillon guarantee's there Presses for the life-time of the Machine no matter who owns the press.

The 1050 is a Pro machine and I would not recommend it for a novice reloader.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

Its a super deal!!! Just buy it. Dillon will help you through any problems. Life warranty, if its broke just send it back. Doesn't have to be orignal owner. With the 1050 you can load 100 rounds every 10 min. without any problem. The 650 takes a little longer. If you don't want to keep them they'll be an easy sell on ebay for more than you paid and yes, you would be foolish to pass the deal up.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Charles wrote:I would strongly advise any person starting in reloading to begin with a single stage press and not progressive reloading equipment. A savings of money is not always a bargin.
I'll second that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I'll third it.
The single worst thing you can do is accidentally double-charge a case. Bad for the gun, even worse for you. This is possible to do using any method of reloading, but so much happens so quickly with a progressive press it's easy to have that and many other things go wrong. Next thing you know, you have a pile of dangerous or just useless ammo and have to start over.
Buy that Dillon if it's a good deal, and put it in the closet until you've loaded a couple thousand on the single stage. Get a good balance beam scale and powder measure. There are things in life that should never be done in a hurry, and reloading is one of them. Slow and careful, with a fat dose of double and triple checking = safer reloading.
Get the Lee book, Modern Reloading and read it thoroughly before you start. Get at least one other reloading book as a cross reference to check loads.
Please post your progress and results, too :D .
Last edited by homefront on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

win40-82 wrote:Its a super deal!!! Just buy it. Dillon will help you through any problems. Life warranty, if its broke just send it back. Doesn't have to be orignal owner. With the 1050 you can load 100 rounds every 10 min. without any problem. The 650 takes a little longer. If you don't want to keep them they'll be an easy sell on ebay for more than you paid and yes, you would be foolish to pass the deal up.
go for it, I have 3 dillons set up along with a single stage for very large cals, ya cant go wrong just follow dillons instructions and they are a phone call away, very helpfull , plus a freind who has one will help you get it up and running...
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

505stevec wrote:Ok, I am thinking of getting into Cowboy Action Shooting. I have already ordered the single stage Lee at $99. I have the money for the Dillon deal. would I be stupid to pass this up? Or should I wait and see. I kinda think maybe not but I dont want to regret not getting it later.
Steve, you've got the single (on the way) and that's what you need to learn on. Since you've still got the money for this deal - and you want to get into CAS - then pick it up. BUT RESIST THE URGE TO START THERE.

First thing you need is manuals. Pick up a variety of reloading manuals and read the articles. Lymans has some good stuff about basic reloading. Once you're loading good ammo with the single stage and have learned the basics, then you can start dusting off the Dillon and move into faster production. BUT START SINGLE STAGE FIRST. It sounds like the Dillons may very well come with the basic stuff you need to load with a single stage. I don't know if their powder measure can be set up for manual use, but you'll also need a good scale. A powder funnel helps too and a loading block to hold the shells as you work them through the stages.

My procedure (on a single stage) is the following. Size and deprime cases, setting them mouth down in a loading block. Prime cases, moving from one end to the other of the loading block and setting them mouth down again as I go through - or pass them over to another loading block. Next, I go through again, this time belling the case mouth and dumping the powder charge. I check one round out of ten for proper powder charge as I go through. Once they are all charged I then visually inspect, looking for any that look to be high, low or empty. Then I go through and seat the bullets, again turning them on end to mark my progress. Finally I go through and crimp, this time moving them into a cartridge box (MTM or similar)

The above is for straightwalled pistol cases. Bottle necked stuff takes a few other steps such as lubing, trimming, cleaning, etc.

Anyway, if you've got the cash and can afford to take him up on the Dillon, you'll kick yourself later if you don't. The presses alone would cost you more than that, not factoring in the other stuff. And as mentioned, you can always move 'em on down the line.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Dillon's No B.S. Guarantee does not include the 1050, as it is used commercially.

The 650 is covered by the Guarantee.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Cherokee
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Cherokee »

I would take the deal, then sell off the 1050 and keep the 650. BUT, start your learning experience with the single stage press, read the manuals and learn the process, develop good reloading process.
God Bless America
NRA Endowment
TSRA Life
SASS
USAR
Ruger & Marlin Accumulator
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote: ...Steve, you've got the single (on the way) and that's what you need to learn on. Since you've still got the money for this deal - and you want to get into CAS - then pick it up. BUT RESIST THE URGE TO START THERE....
Anyway, if you've got the cash and can afford to take him up on the Dillon, you'll kick yourself later if you don't. The presses alone would cost you more than that, not factoring in the other stuff. And as mentioned, you can always move 'em on down the line.
+ more than I can count... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Thanks guys. I made the deal this morning. And like many of you have said... I have the Lee single coming so i can start there and Randy can help me with the Dillon later. Appreciate the help.