Questions about Ranchdog bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Questions about Ranchdog bullets

Post by J Miller »

After reading Chuck 100 yd's thread about the Ranch Dog bullets and perusing the link that Junior added I've come away with a question or two.

First, Ranchdogs site seems to be aimed at Marlin shooters. No problem there, but my 30-30s are Winchesters.
Is there any reason I couldn't use the Ranchdog bullets in my Winchesters?
Is there idiosyncracies between the two brands that make his bullets more accurate in Marlins than Winchesters?

Second, he states they are intended for the Lee tumble lube.
Is there any reason I can't lube and size them in my Lube-A-Matic?

Joe
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Those bullets have the tiny shallow tumble lube grooves. I doubt you would get any/enough lube to stick in them with a regular lubesizer. No reason they would work better in a Marlin over a Winny. I like his bullet designs, but I prefer standard lube grooves that will hold a lot of lube.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you wanna see some other designs and a few more choices, visit Cast Boolits forum and look at their group buys. If I read it right the "Junior's Soup Can" molds are in. I'm lookin' forward to these!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I suspect that they are sized .311 to make them work better with the Micro-Groove barrels.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have pan lubed the.432 (.44 cal.)RD bullets using SPG.and it fills the lube grooves very well. The lube grooves are small but there are more of them.
I have not shot them with any hot loads but Ranch Dog and others say you can push them FASTER than jacket velocitys without leading using Lee tumble lube. Cant wait to spend some time at the range with the .444 and .45-70. 8)