30/30 ackley for a 99 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

30/30 ackley for a 99 ?

Post by kooz »

I was wondering if I could get some of you to weigh-in on an idea. I have an old Savage 99 30/30 half octagon bbl that came from a family member, it is ruined as far as value due to the stock being carved up as well as the reciever being home engraved. Was wondering if this could be a good candidate for the Ackley conversion. Seems that this conversion would be a good step up in power combined with the fact that spire points can be used safley in the Savage. I have no experience with this conversion, could some of you who have done this give me some opinions. ? Thanks
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I reamed out a Marlin 30-30 to the Ackley version. It was a simple task with a Marlin lever action, just remove the bolt and ream it. You can expect to see a 100-200 fps increase in velocity. Some claim improved accuracy, I didn't really see any change in accuracy in mine. Longer case life is a plus too.
Last edited by TedH on Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kooz,

I don't know anything about the AI modifications to cartridges, but 100 to 200 fps seems to be a poor return for all the work and expense.

Were that rifle mine, I'd try the Hornady Leverevolution ammo and see what happens.

As for brass life I have no idea why people say 30-30 brass doesn't last long.
I've got lots of brass that has well over 10 full power loads on it and is still good.

Joe
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

With the octagon barrel it sounds like you had a pretty neat rifle there. I guess there is nothing wrong with the Ackley conversion, but the 30/30 is a better round then many give it credit for as is. In the 99 you can load pointed bullets or of course try the new Evolution ammo.

Why not take the money you would spend on rechambering and see if you can clean up some of the cosmetic issues on this rifle. It might even be worth a restocking job, I don't know about the engraving, but something might be done there. Which might bring back some of the astetic value to the gun, and in reality there is probably little that can be done with the Ackley conversion, that can't be done anyway. Not that the conversion is worthwhile, if your really want it.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Yes, I will try some reloads and see how it does. It will be a few days before I get the rifle here to the house. It has been many years since I have seen it and don't really remember how bad the cosmetic damage was. It used to belong to my Great Uncle Joe, if I remember right he painted or stained the stock black and tried to inlay some deer into the stock that were made from mother of pearl and also drew some pictures with a centerpunch on the reciever :shock: anyway the gun hasn't been shot for about 40 or 50 yrs, so it will be a hoot to get out and shoot it.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

No quarrel w/choice of chambering. BUT the spool magazines are tuned pretty close to ctg profile. I'd try to make a dummy function in the spool before I sunk any dough into a new chamber.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That character is part of your family history. I would not change a thing unless I could not shoot it for som reason. Then I would change it so I could shoot it.

The AI is a good round, but the 30/30 is no slouch.

I would document everything I could with paragraphs and pictures for somebody's grandchildren. Keep it in the family.

As far as Lastmohecken says on improving the looks....c'mon...it's a 99! :shock: :twisted: great guns, but not the most pretty, in my humble opinion. :P
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com